ADVERTISEMENT

siap: TCU gets Probation

Dr Pacheco

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2003
Euless, TX
Is there really not a thread out on this?

NCAA puts TCU on probation after finding players were paid for work they didn’t do

The NCAA punished TCU on Friday after it found that 33 athletes were being paid for work they didn’t do as campus summer employees.

TCU reported the violations to the NCAA after it discovered that players were not clocking out. The players were on the football and men’s and women’s basketball teams.

The excess payments totaled almost $20,000 over four years, the NCAA said, and resulted in 22 of the 33 athletes competing while ineligible.

TCU did not say how it discovered the violations or if the players have regained their eligibility.

The Division I Committee on Infractions handed the following punishment to the university:

▪ One year of probation.

▪ A $47,148 fine. This amount includes the self-imposed penalty of $19,796, plus an additional 10% of the money it received for participate in the first round of the 2018 Division I Men’s Basketball Championship ($27,352).

▪ A one-year show-cause order for the former coach. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him must show cause why he should not have restrictions on athletically related activity.

TCU determined, and the NCAA agreed, that the on-campus employment issues stemmed from an operational issue with no athletics involvement.

The former swimming and diving coach, Sam Busch, was deemed to have exceeded the maximum allowed coaches on staff. Additionally, Busch and his staff exceeded limits in practice time.

Busch resigned in Feb. 2018.

According to the NCAA, Busch “agreed that he failed to promote an atmosphere of rules compliance.”

In its decision, the NCAA says TCU and Busch may not appeal the violations but may appeal the the penalties.

The NCAA determined the violations were “Level II,” meaning it did not involve “substantial impermissible benefit” or a “substantial recruiting, competitive or other advantage.”

In a written statement, TCU chancellor Victor J. Boschini, Jr. and athletic director Jeremiah Donati expressed gratitude to the NCAA in its ruling.

“I’m proud of TCU’s culture of compliance that led to these issues being identified, promptly disclosed, and corrected,” Boschini said in the statement. “I also am thankful for our team who successfully collaborated to ensure that we not only resolved this issue but continue to send a message of strong ethical leadership at TCU.”

Said Donati: “We are thankful for the committee hearing our position and providing us an equitable result. The process worked.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News