ADVERTISEMENT

Seven Things

1. OU's coaches have had their collective asses handed to them today in all three phases of the game
  2. The defense is still at least a year away
  3. The offensive line has a long way to go
  4. Jalen Hurts is exactly who I thought he was
  5. All those elite receivers on the roster are being wasted by not having a real quarterback under center
  6. Riley needs to play the players that are going to help the team next year from here on out
  7. This game is not a fluke

Your #1... I believe the O-Line is far weaker than we all suspect. Which limits the type of play calls that LR can call. I mean the RBs don't get called for a reason. KSU executed a great game plan against the defense. But a couple of key turnovers placed the defense in very bad positions. These two turnovers made a big difference in the outcome of the scoreboard.

Your #2 is spot on and has been since MS was fired. Grinch has done magic with his scheme. And the attitude has changed as well, but the defense needs better talent to leap into the Top 20 or elite status.

Your #3... Yeppers. totally agree.

Your #4 is worthy. But I think it was a great move to get him and play him. LR knew what kind of talent he'd have w/ the O-Line. A veteran running QB was a good fit.

Your #5 is Meh... unless they just portal themselves away, those 5 star fresh players will be around next year as the O-line gets a bit more seasoned.

Your #6... Too early. I'm not ready to do this just yet. JH has been playing very well. There is still a slim chance of a play off run. Slim. But until the playoff run is off the table, you gotta play for this year. Once it's determined that there is no way the team can make the playoffs, then I agree and a change should be made.

Your #7. You Sir are correct. Actually, we're who I thought we were. A drop in offense and an improvement in defense. We're 7-1. Not too ugly at this point for a transition year of offensive players (new QB & O-line) and the installation of a new defensive scheme.

Bottomline, we're not a playoff team for 2019.

Last edited:
I got a hand signal. Just one.

Get the f'ing ball to the guy that's going to be playing on Sunday and see if they can stop him.

Run it with CeeDee, pass it to CeeDee, at this point, let CeeDee throw it. 1st and 4th quarter were the CeeDee show. WTF happened in the 2nd and 3rd? This is football guys, not rocket science.

Yep..... but I think you mean rocket surgery. :D

WYATT HUBERT, SOPHOMORE DEFENSIVE END

On the feeling after the win... “Yeah, it’s a good feeling. Especially beating OU at number five, it’s a great feeling.”

On playing against Jalen Hurts… “We knew one thing, that Cee Dee Lamb was going to be his main target. We knew if he didn’t see a receiver he was going to pull the ball and scramble every time. Few plays were designed for a quarterback draw for him, and that’s something that we were aware of and we stopped it a few times.

Now everyone knows. Come on, man.

Great point. I was actually watching Riley yesterday and thinking “how does Hurts know what play to call? Riley only has two hand signals.” If you’re right, and I have idea if you are because I haven’t watched it that closely, then the defense would at least know if the play was going to be a pass or run/pass option. That should be at least some advantage. Easy fix would be to expand the hand signals. Right?
Yes now everyone knows out signals...lol....it was little league style signals where it doesn’t matter if the other team knows what is coming....

I remember when Art Briles would send his relatives to our games to video record our signals, don’t have to do that anymore....lol...

One other thing , I thought it was Grinch that would incorporate turnovers into the game, not Lincoln Riley....

Your #1... I believe the O-Line is far weaker than we all suspect. Which limits the type of play calls that LR can call. I mean the RBs don't get called for a reason. KSU executed a great game plan against the defense. But a couple of key turnovers placed the defense in very bad positions. These two turnovers made a big difference in the outcome of the scoreboard.

Your #2 is spot on and has been since MS was fired. Grinch has done magic with his scheme. And the attitude has changed as well, but the defense needs better talent to leap into the Top 20 or elite status.

Your #3... Yeppers. totally agree.

Your #4 is worthy. But I think it was a great move to get him and play him. LR knew what kind of talent he'd have w/ the O-Line. A veteran running QB was a good fit.

Your #5 is Meh... unless they just portal themselves away, those 5 star fresh players will be around next year as the O-line gets a bit more seasoned.

Your #6... Too early. I'm not ready to do this just yet. JH has been playing very well. There is still a slim chance of a play off run. Slim. But until the playoff run is off the table, you gotta play for this year. Once it's determined that there is no way the team can make the playoffs, then I agree and a change should be made.

Your #7. You Sir are correct. Actually, we're who I thought we were. A drop in offense and an improvement in defense. We're 7-1. Not too ugly at this point for a transition year of offensive players (new QB & O-line) and the installation of a new defensive scheme.

Bottomline, we're not a playoff team for 2019.

#2......had to chuckle at that one

Let's see... I'm struggling w/ this being fault of the defense. While they weren't pretty at all, to put this loss solely on the defense is a complete failure of one's analysis of the game.
I'm re-watching the 3rd qtr... and so far...here's a re-cap.

Offense 3 & out

Special Teams punt for 19 yds

Kick off Receiving team fumbles on the 25 yd line

It's now 5:32 on the clock in the 3rd qtr and the offense has still only their 3 & out, but finally get the ball. What happens?

Illegal substitution. I mean... they had friggin 10 minutes of clock time to get the right guys on the field.

Another 3 & out w/ a penalty this time. Which puts the defense back on the field w/ 3:35 left. A whole 2 minutes rest.

By now KSU scored a shit ton of points and ate up basically the entire 3rd qtr. The defense was exhausted. There was a total of 6 offensive plays, 7 if you count the penaly. It was a complete breakdown of all phases of OU's game.

Offense, Defense, & Special Teams.

Let's see... I'm struggling w/ this being fault of the defense. While they weren't pretty at all, to put this loss solely on the defense is a complete failure of one's analysis of the game.
I'm re-watching the 3rd qtr... and so far...here's a re-cap.

Offense 3 & out

Special Teams punt for 19 yds

Kick off Receiving team fumbles on the 25 yd line

It's now 5:32 on the clock in the 3rd qtr and the offense has still only their 3 & out, but finally get the ball. What happens?

Illegal substitution. I mean... they had friggin 10 minutes of clock time to get the right guys on the field.

Another 3 & out w/ a penalty this time. Which puts the defense back on the field w/ 3:35 left. A whole 2 minutes rest.

By now KSU scored a shit ton of points and ate up basically the entire 3rd qtr. The defense was exhausted. There was a total of 6 offensive plays, 7 if you count the penaly. It was a complete breakdown of all phases of OU's game.

Offense, Defense, & Special Teams.

48 points by a Kansas State team that could only put up 13 against OSU. So much for the defense being drastically better. Game over

48 points by a Kansas State team that could only put up 13 against OSU. So much for the defense being drastically better. Game over

Are you always this stupid or is just football?

What is the strength of OU's defense? Serious question.

Are you always this stupid or is just football?

What is the strength of OU's defense? Serious question.

Oh wnas always with your immaturity when your ignorance is brought to the surface. Be a man and admit that you didnt "know" our defense was light years ahead of last year. Come on man you can do it

Oh wnas always with your immaturity when your ignorance is brought to the surface. Be a man and admit that you didnt "know" our defense was light years ahead of last year. Come on man you can do it

You're several things.
Stupid on football analysis
Clueless to the strengths of the OU football team
A stalker of my posts.
Weak on reading comprehension

On Sept 28th, I posted what I saw, felt, and therefore 'knew' the the defense was much improved. If you can't see , feel, and therefore acknowledge this... you're stupid to all things football.

I never said 'light years ahead' or even 'drastically'. So keep on believing and posting your beliefs but don't stalk me and don't post falsely what I've posted.

The one thing you truly are .... is not worthy.

You're several things.
Stupid on football analysis
Clueless to the strengths of the OU football team
A stalker of my posts.
Weak on reading comprehension

On Sept 28th, I posted what I saw, felt, and therefore 'knew' the the defense was much improved. If you can't see , feel, and therefore acknowledge this... you're stupid to all things football.

I never said 'light years ahead' or even 'drastically'. So keep on believing and posting your beliefs but don't stalk me and don't post falsely what I've posted.

The one thing you truly are .... is not worthy.

So you are saying that you thought we were just a little better on defense? lol........You basically said we were drastically better than last season...whichh we obviously aren't. Admit when you are wrong and move on

Look let's do this... you post anything close to where I said they were 'drastically' improved. Key word drastically. Post it up & I'll admit it. But I won't have to admit anything because your comprehension in what you read is piss poor. You want sooo bad to make an issue out of the OU defense that you've completely mis-read anything positive that is posted. It's getting to the point that you're coming across as a poster of the past that defended Mike Stoops and was in dis-belief that he was fired. That same poster slithered away and hasn't been seen since. You so much hate the improvement of the defense that you shit on any & all posts that project a positive change.

Yes... I still believe the defense has improved. The scoreboard shows it, the stats show it, the attitude shows it. If you don't believe this then so be it. But I do. As does others. Did they shit the bed Saturday? Yes. No one on this board has stated they would go undefeated. No one.

Stop the shit dude or I'll report you for stalking. Move along.

Look let's do this... you post anything close to where I said they were 'drastically' improved. Key word drastically. Post it up & I'll admit it. But I won't have to admit anything because your comprehension in what you read is piss poor. You want sooo bad to make an issue out of the OU defense that you've completely mis-read anything positive that is posted. It's getting to the point that you're coming across as a poster of the past that defended Mike Stoops and was in dis-belief that he was fired. That same poster slithered away and hasn't been seen since. You so much hate the improvement of the defense that you shit on any & all posts that project a positive change.

Yes... I still believe the defense has improved. The scoreboard shows it, the stats show it, the attitude shows it. If you don't believe this then so be it. But I do. As does others. Did they shit the bed Saturday? Yes. No one on this board has stated they would go undefeated. No one.

Ha.....don't post things if you don't want any blow back. Let this be a lesson to you. Now move on

Here’s the lesson...

And it’s coming from a guy that thinks Texas is a measuring stick!

How much football do you watch?

Even w the KSU loss, the OU defense is currently ranked #30. A far cry better than the past few years. Deal w/ it.

Hurts, played the game calling, of Riley, perfectly.

The defense sucked.

8 drives
8 scores

Riley coached like his rookie season. Until Stoops, reminded him, we have NFL RB's. 6 RB calls....pathetic.

Riley, has taken the, timing routes out of his playbook. He still has to call cute. Can't help himself.

That's my point....the defense in that game against Texas has not showed that same aptitude in any other game.
Regardless of its record Texas has a good offense which should be, but isn't, a good measuring stick for OU's defense.

I thought OU played lights out against Texas, but other than that we played nobody of any significance. It will be interesting to see how we stack up against Baylor and even TCU. Whatever happens, we seem to be a little better than last year but still not good enough (definitely not a lot better like some "knew" we were). Our playoff chances are shot

Hurts, played the game calling, of Riley, perfectly.

The defense sucked.

8 drives
8 scores

Riley coached like his rookie season. Until Stoops, reminded him, we have NFL RB's. 6 RB calls....pathetic.

Riley, has taken the, timing routes out of his playbook. He still has to call cute. Can't help himself.

So, why do you think that is?

I will step out on the ledge; the OU defense has dramatically improved. This is a statement based on this year's production, and last year's defense. Stuff happens, teams pick up on stuff, and our coaches will (hopefully) make adjustments. For the fans who think this is simply a rinse and repeat process, why continue to watch? Save yourself the time and effort. If you think the defense's improvement is overrated due to lack of competition, well enjoy your brief moment in the sun. I guess it could be argued these fans align with the Texas approach that it is their given right to be a champion and instant success is obligatory. It takes time and work, and identifying ways to prove. This staff is doing that.

I will step out on the ledge; the OU defense has dramatically improved. This is a statement based on this year's production, and last year's defense. Stuff happens, teams pick up on stuff, and our coaches will (hopefully) make adjustments. For the fans who think this is simply a rinse and repeat process, why continue to watch? Save yourself the time and effort. If you think the defense's improvement is overrated due to lack of competition, well enjoy your brief moment in the sun. I guess it could be argued these fans align with the Texas approach that it is their given right to be a champion and instant success is obligatory. It takes time and work, and identifying ways to prove. This staff is doing that.

I think most of us agree that this D is better than last season and I think some of the issues Saturday was that the KSU staff put together a masterful offensive game plan. How did he do that? It is obvious that staff picked up on the defensive tendencies and even the KSU player said as much. It was like they knew exactly what the defense was going to do. That is just a coach paying attention to detail.

The problem is our coaching staff never made adjustments and that is why the KSU offense continued to thrash our D. Even Murray in his presser after the game admitted they were out of position all game long missing assignments.

I do believe it is a minor hiccup and things will be better by ISU and it needs to be because the Cyclone offense is better than the KSU offense. The mistakes have to be fixed also with turnovers and the D needs to create turnovers something we see little of. We are all fans and everyone vents at times but it doesn’t mean they have given up or disowned the team. Its just a fans nature and we are all guilty of it at times.

I think most of us agree that this D is better than last season and I think some of the issues Saturday was that the KSU staff put together a masterful offensive game plan. How did he do that? It is obvious that staff picked up on the defensive tendencies and even the KSU player said as much. It was like they knew exactly what the defense was going to do. That is just a coach paying attention to detail.

The problem is our coaching staff never made adjustments and that is why the KSU offense continued to thrash our D. Even Murray in his presser after the game admitted they were out of position all game long missing assignments.

I do believe it is a minor hiccup and things will be better by ISU and it needs to be because the Cyclone offense is better than the KSU offense. The mistakes have to be fixed also with turnovers and the D needs to create turnovers something we see little of. We are all fans and everyone vents at times but it doesn’t mean they have given up or disowned the team. Its just a fans nature and we are all guilty of it at times.

I agree with some of what you said. Between the KSU offense being an outlier and the score of the game in the 3rd quarter dictating the game plan, the outcome was not unthinkable...for a longtime Sooner fan or college football observer. My point is relax let some things play out. We know this current coaching staff, more than the previous at it's end, is dedicated to correcting issues and winning championships. It's okay to have an opinion, everyone should have one...I will just probably disagree with it ;)

I agree with some of what you said. Between the KSU offense being an outlier and the score of the game in the 3rd quarter dictating the game plan, the outcome was not unthinkable...for a longtime Sooner fan or college football observer. My point is relax let some things play out. We know this current coaching staff, more than the previous at it's end, is dedicated to correcting issues and winning championships. It's okay to have an opinion, everyone should have one...I will just probably disagree with it ;)

Many of us in this forum are long time Sooner fans along with being CFB fans. With that being said it has been 20 years since we last witnessed a NC in football and it usually comes down to that one hiccup that has cost us. We seen that happen in the 70s and even the 80s and it did cost our team a NC a few times. Other teams also had it’s hiccups so hiccups are a big part of CFB.

For the record I have been following OU football since about 66 but there are some here ( Maybe you included) that have followed it much longer and I think I can safely say from conversing with them here we all want that #8. Hopefully Riley and his staff gets that for our fanbase in the next few years.

Many of us in this forum are long time Sooner fans along with being CFB fans. With that being said it has been 20 years since we last witnessed a NC in football and it usually comes down to that one hiccup that has cost us. We seen that happen in the 70s and even the 80s and it did cost our team a NC a few times. Other teams also had it’s hiccups so hiccups are a big part of CFB.

For the record I have been following OU football since about 66 but there are some here ( Maybe you included) that have followed it much longer and I think I can safely say from conversing with them here we all want that #8. Hopefully Riley and his staff gets that for our fanbase in the next few years.

I have been lucky enough to passionately follow the Sooners since birth, but more accurately since my football consciousness in 1984. I realize the pressure and know the bed to supplement our Championship (20 years ago). I also believe this path has been made more difficult by success. Coming so close so many times makes it difficult but, ultimately, in this day and age getting to the final dance is better (not acceptable) than the alternative.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
The D has improved some no doubt. I do think some of it has been a mirage though based on our lack of competition. This was also our first real road test and the D simply fell apart when faced with adversity and momentum of the other team. I think we will bounce back at home against the Cyclones but I think we should be worried about going to Waco. I would not be a bit surprised to see us drop another one.

Reactions: Tollboothmgr
The D has improved some no doubt. I do think some of it has been a mirage though based on our lack of competition. This was also our first real road test and the D simply fell apart when faced with adversity and momentum of the other team. I think we will bounce back at home against the Cyclones but I think we should be worried about going to Waco. I would not be a bit surprised to see us drop another one.
Well stated.
A season in which I thought every game was winnable isn't anymore.
Which way the season wraps up now is anyone's guess. There are no easy games from here on.

Until OU can somehow follow Alabama's template for success by attracting and developing elite defensive players, number 8 is a pipe dream.
The way I see it, all roads to a national championship must go through Alabama. And it appears that Clemson and Ohio State have gotten the message.
OU will always have high scoring offenses and will always be entertaining to watch, but until big time defense returns to the Sooner legacy, OU will be just an also-ran team....I see that as a slow process of at least 3-5 years if Grinch proves to be up to the task.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT