ADVERTISEMENT

Seven Things

veritas59

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
  1. OU's coaches have had their collective asses handed to them today in all three phases of the game
  2. The defense is still at least a year away
  3. The offensive line has a long way to go
  4. Jalen Hurts is exactly who I thought he was
  5. All those elite receivers on the roster are being wasted by not having a real quarterback under center
  6. Riley needs to play the players that are going to help the team next year from here on out
  7. This game is not a fluke

1. OU's coaches have had their collective asses handed to them today in all three phases of the game
  5. All those elite receivers on the roster are being wasted by not having a real quarterback under center
  6. Riley needs to play the players that are going to help the team next year from here on out

I’m trying to come up with something to argue with you about. It would be much easier to do with Walter, man.

People are somehow pinning this on Jalen Hurts. Smh

This one is 80% on the defense, 15% on the O-line and 5% bad luck with the INT, the muffed pooch kickoff and touching the onside kick 1/2 foot too soon. Jalen played his ass off today and should not be taking any heat for this loss. D and O-line should take the walk of shame for this loss.

not sure why anyone is surprised this has been happening far too often. every year it seems we lose to some low tier team with not even half the talent the Sooners posses. It's almost like a dart throw aside from Kansas they pull this garbage off every year. Whether its Iowa State in 2017 or Texas in 2015 or Houston, or Colorado,or TCU doesn't matter whenever we get into the top 5 we lose.

and how anyone can blame Jalen Hurts and not blame the Head Coach for his careless playcalling and lack of preparation is beyond me its borderline blasphemy.

This loss is clearly on the defense.

We got lit up today. 48 points. None by their special teams or defense.

The offense wasn't great today, that's true. They had guys in our backfield all day, and we had little running game outside of Hurts. But they still scored 41 legit points.

Reactions: iasooner1
SPEED "BUMP" D!! We were out played and out coached in all 3 phases of the game but the 2 biggest things I took out of the game were: Our front 7 got manhandled. Hurts is not capable of putting the team on his back like Mayfield and Murray. His passing won't get it done when the chips are on the table. He played his butt off but we needed someone with a pinpoint accurate howitzer and he is not that guy. Oh, and Skyler Thompson had the game of his life.

Without Hurts we would have lost more than 1 game so he should be benched so a QB that will play next year can get some experience? Ridiculous.
The D, Pathetic O line and Coaches are to blame for this. It happens every year, we come out and act like we never coached a game before and act like we can just roll our OU Helmets out there and get a win. The coaches should have shown video of past K State vs OU games where we didn't show up to play, maybe they would have taken them seriously.
I am pissed yeah but hell I have gotten used to us laying an egg against someone every year.
We are not a playoff worthy team and deep down I knew we would not be this year, may not be again for a while if a lot of things are not fixed.

Reactions: iasooner1
I didn't see much of the first half, but watched all of the 2nd half. Our defensive line was manhandled in the 2nd half and because of that our inside linebackers had a hard time making plays. I didn't like the play call that led to that interception in the 2nd quarter. Not sure why we ran so many gimmick plays today on offense. Offensive line didn't play well at all today either. Couldn't get the run game going and then the muffed kick off really put us behind the 8 ball. No way anybody should be blaming Hurts. Blame Pledger, blame the d-line, the o-line, the coaches or all above. Don't blame Hurts, he played pretty darn well in my opinion.

Put the hookah away for the day, V (or maybe get it out of the closet) The coaches deserve your ire not individual players

While the CFP is probably down the drain for the year we still are positioned (with a helluva lot better play) to win another BXII crown and perhaps be spoilers for a lot of parties and perhaps play in a meaningful bowl on NYD. It's CFB; anything can happen and always does

Last edited:
Reactions: Schoonerman
I remember where our defense was the last 10 years so although I'm disappointed in their performance today, I knew before the season that it always takes a couple of season to really turn around a unit that's been pathetic for years now.

The last few years we would have put out sorry defensive performances every single game instead of just once in a while.

If we had an elite offensive line and a truly top 5 elite quarterback, then the defensive shortfall wouldnt have been that big of a deal.

But as nice as Jalen Hurts has been this season, he's obviously not Kyler Murray or Baker Mayfield. Still pretty damn good, just not as good as those guys. He should get zero blame for the loss today.

All of this is, but for #6, is true , but there is something else , the coaches give away the signals, you can even pick them up on TV. The chicken wing is Hurts on a draw, the fingers waggling under the chin is the base pass play.... I am sure KSU picked up the defense play calling also....

There was nothing positive about this game to feel good about. Sooners were never into this game and whatever positive feelings we were having about the defense have now evaporated completely.
The Sooners do not belong on the same field as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Clemson from what I have seen so far.
We will see an OU team, once again, compile a winning record, go to a bowl, have a decent enough recruiting haul to maintain the status quo and then the scenario will repeat itself in 2020 and beyond.

There was nothing positive about this game to feel good about. Sooners were never into this game and whatever positive feelings we were having about the defense have now evaporated completely.
The Sooners do not belong on the same field as Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Auburn or Clemson from what I have seen so far.
We will see an OU team, once again, compile a winning record, go to a bowl, have a decent enough recruiting haul to maintain the status quo and then the scenario will repeat itself in 2020 and beyond.

I am at the point that we will just be a slightly above avg team in a mediocre league year in and year out as it has been for some time now.

We are going to have to get some big time defensive players to get back to the top. Schemes are not the answer players are. We are still better but not ready for the final 4 yet. It does no good to get there if you can’t stop anybody.

Put the hookah away for the day, V (or maybe get it out of the closet) The coaches deserve your ire not individual players

While the CFP is probably down the drain for the year we still are positioned (with a helluva lot better play) to win another BXII crown and perhaps be spoilers for a lot of parties and perhaps play in a meaningful bowl on NYD. It's CFB; anything can happen and always does

Meh, I'm perfectly lucid. It wasn't a "mad" post. I don't get mad about losses anymore. Stopped that about 10 or so years ago. The post was simply seven observations by yours truly. I didn't blame any one person or group for the loss; the very first observation was about coaching, then a unit, then a position group. I didn't say, or imply, that JH is the reason OU lost the game. He just continues to confirm my thoughts about him. He's a great athlete, but he's not a great quarterback. If his first read isn't wide open, he's going to scramble around or pull it down and run. He doesn't see options two and three on time, which is what really good quarterbacks do. Definitely not a threat to stretch the field except for defensive busts or broken plays. Today, the Sooners needed to win a shootout, but they weren't equipped to do it.

This was a strange game in that it started like you think it should but then the turnovers and the lack of defense kicked in. I really thought we would settle in on defense and the offense would do their thing. The crowd and K State started believing and our lack of poise contributed to our demise. It just seemed like everything just went south. I wanted so bad to believe the defense was back but it isn’t. Better but not where I hoped.

How about blaming Riley, Hurts didnt throw the int it was a wr, Riley is getting to cute with his play calling. Let our running back run, Hurts is our leading rusher, we have backs that are capable but they need to get into a grove carrying the ball 4-5 times is hard to do that. We have not ran any swing passes to the backs or screens.

[QUOTE="veritas59, post: 2879014, member: 2410"

Jalen Hurts is exactly who I thought he was
All those elite receivers on the roster are being wasted by not having a real quarterback under center
[/QUOTE]

Personally accounting for almost 500 yards of offense says you're thinking is something to sneeze at.

Riley had some extremely questionable calls, especially on 3rd and 5 inside the 20 where we should have planned on running it twice to get the first down, instead a tough pass on a short field lead to a FG when he knew we were in a dog fight and needed TDs. No attempt whatsoever to establish the run game.

And when the chips were down by down 3 scores who was rallying the troops to incredibly put us in position to tie the game? Hurts.

And be careful for what you ask for once next year arrives.

Reactions: Schoonerman
[QUOTE="veritas59, post: 2879014, member: 2410"

Jalen Hurts is exactly who I thought he was
All those elite receivers on the roster are being wasted by not having a real quarterback under center

Personally accounting for almost 500 yards of offense says you're thinking is something to sneeze at. You're welcome to your opinion, as I am mine. I'll make a wager right now, though, that my opinion, which is that he is a great athlete but not a great quarterback, is validated come draft time.

Riley had some extremely questionable calls, especially on 3rd and 5 inside the 20 where we should have planned on running it twice to get the first down, instead a tough pass on a short field lead to a FG when he knew we were in a dog fight and needed TDs. No attempt whatsoever to establish the run game. Agree.. mostly

And when the chips were down by down 3 scores who was rallying the troops to incredibly put us in position to tie the game? Hurts. Maybe, but it was a 70 RAC by Lamb and a couple of defensive stops that gave us a sliver of hope.

And be careful for what you ask for once next year arrives. What I ask for makes no difference, but I would like to see OU enter the year with at some seasoning at quarterback. [/QUOTE]

True but both our backs only had 3 carries each. Why?
Is Riley putting the game in Jalen's hands and or legs if you will?
Why did Riley get so one dimensional today?
Lots of head scratching for me today.

I don't know that we'll get a straight answer, but maybe a good portion of those runs were options, where he opted to keep it himself??? Or pass plays, where he pulled it down and ran??? Still, LR seemed to give up on the jet after only a couple of tries.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
gotta laugh at some people ready to not only scrap the remainder of the season but switch QBj's as well lol. The offense didn't lose that game today. I only got to watch the 2nd half, but during that time our defense was pathetic. Reminded me of the last several years.

How about blaming Riley, Hurts didnt throw the int it was a wr, Riley is getting to cute with his play calling. Let our running back run, Hurts is our leading rusher, we have backs that are capable but they need to get into a grove carrying the ball 4-5 times is hard to do that. We have not ran any swing passes to the backs or screens.
Basquine hit Rambo right in the numbers. There are some things that I question LR on today, but that’s not one of them. The blame on that play falls squarely on Rambo; Nick couldn’t have walked down there & handed it to him any better.

The only reason the final score was close had more to do with KSU offense going into a shell more than the D actually making stops. I believe if KSU had continued to play the offense they had earlier that they would have scored again. It almost cost them by going conservative.

Thisl loss isn’t on Hurts but it does lay on the defense , Riley’s lack of establishing the run threat, Grinch defensive game plan , the defensive effort, dumb ass penalties on the defense, and settling for 3 to many times. The 3rd QTR was a nightmare.

KSU just flat out kicked OU ass today as they were out coached and out played. As for the offensive play book I wonder if 95% of it is Hurts this, Hurts that sprinkled in with an occasional RB run. I am not angry with Hurts but agree he isn’t Baker or Murray.

The only good thing that happened today was TCU beating Texas and knowing that it will almost be impossible for them to make it to the B12 CG.

not sure why anyone is surprised this has been happening far too often. every year it seems we lose to some low tier team with not even half the talent the Sooners posses. It's almost like a dart throw aside from Kansas they pull this garbage off every year. Whether its Iowa State in 2017 or Texas in 2015 or Houston, or Colorado,or TCU doesn't matter whenever we get into the top 5 we lose.

and how anyone can blame Jalen Hurts and not blame the Head Coach for his careless playcalling and lack of preparation is beyond me its borderline blasphemy.

Hurts when Hurts only has 4 plays from scrimmage in the decisive 3rd quarter.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Grinch has a lot of work ahead of him and both he and Riley must shed the Texas Tech "DNA" from OU's defensive football future. Until that happens, there will be more games like the one yesterday.....and I'm expecting that to happen through the rest of this season and into 2020.
Grinch inherited a defense that gave up 466 points the year before (2018) so it's likely to take a few more years before we can see improvement. While some degree of improvement had been seen prior to yesterday, somewhat due to a weaker schedule than in recent years, the mauling by Kansas State exposed OU's defense as, very much, a work in progress, with a long way to go.
How this team reacts to this loss in the next two weeks will be interesting with Iowa State at home on 11/09 and a road game with Baylor on the 16th. TCU at home and OSU away will also be tough games. What I thought was a very winnable schedule two weeks ago now looks very challenging. I think it would be a great accomplishment for Riley if his team can win these last four games.... but that may be up to Grinch and his defense.

All of this is, but for #6, is true , but there is something else , the coaches give away the signals, you can even pick them up on TV. The chicken wing is Hurts on a draw, the fingers waggling under the chin is the base pass play.... I am sure KSU picked up the defense play calling also....

Now everyone knows. Come on, man.

Great point. I was actually watching Riley yesterday and thinking “how does Hurts know what play to call? Riley only has two hand signals.” If you’re right, and I have idea if you are because I haven’t watched it that closely, then the defense would at least know if the play was going to be a pass or run/pass option. That should be at least some advantage. Easy fix would be to expand the hand signals. Right?

I got a hand signal. Just one.

Get the f'ing ball to the guy that's going to be playing on Sunday and see if they can stop him.

Run it with CeeDee, pass it to CeeDee, at this point, let CeeDee throw it. 1st and 4th quarter were the CeeDee show. WTF happened in the 2nd and 3rd? This is football guys, not rocket science.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT