ADVERTISEMENT

Seven Things

Until OU can somehow follow Alabama's template for success by attracting and developing elite defensive players, number 8 is a pipe dream.
The way I see it, all roads to a national championship must go through Alabama. And it appears that Clemson and Ohio State have gotten the message.
OU will always have high scoring offenses and will always be entertaining to watch, but until big time defense returns to the Sooner legacy, OU will be just an also-ran team....I see that as a slow process of at least 3-5 years if Grinch proves to be up to the task.

CT, I do think that Grinch will get us there but it will take another year or two. As for the term “also ran” team I would put OU at this time just below the “Elite” status as right now I think only Alabama and Clemson carry that status. I would say OU is grouped with a few teams in the “Great but not quite there yet” status.

In this day and age you have to be a complete team in every phase of the game to win it all.

Reactions: iasooner1
CT, I do think that Grinch will get us there but it will take another year or two. As for the term “also ran” team I would put OU at this time just below the “Elite” status as right now I think only Alabama and Clemson carry that status. I would say OU is grouped with a few teams in the “Great but not quite there yet” status.

In this day and age you have to be a complete team in every phase of the game to win it all.
"Also ran" are teams I consider non-playoff teams....very good teams, but outside the consideration of playoff caliber.
I believe Riley and Grinch have taken the first step in forming a complete team, but there are still some turds in the punch bowl to get rid of and the bowl itself may need replacement since Big Mike contributed his mess.

No Tommie Harris‘ or Gerald Mc Coy’s . Until Riley can sign elite defensive linemen for Grinch to coach up, OU defense is going to be hit and miss, IMO.

I haven't had the stomach wherewithal to watch the game again. Maybe someone here knows. Was their offensive plan to get a designated blocker to the second level and eliminate Murray from the defense, or does he have an injury that I haven't heard about.

That was his lowest tackles total since he was a Freshman.

Reactions: iasooner1
I haven't had the stomach wherewithal to watch the game again. Maybe someone here knows. Was their offensive plan to get a designated blocker to the second level and eliminate Murray from the defense, or does he have an injury that I haven't heard about.

That was his lowest tackles total since he was a Freshman.

Same with me on not being able to stomach watching again.
But, a friend of mine who really likes break down the games each week (and has the ability to do so) said that Murray was not assignment sound. Said he kept getting lured in to the wrong hole. Sounds like he wasn't hitting on all cylinders - mentally, for some reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT