ADVERTISEMENT

Football Scrimmage Context... (MORE STAFF NOTES IN THREAD)

dmackey13

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 11, 2008
I'm hearing scrimmage reports and (also) patiently waiting for a full report here, but some context:

1. Scrimmages have different periods where specific scenarios are in place. Let me ask you a simple question:

Who has the advantage in a scenario of - 3rd and long? Blitz pickup? Or Screen period?
You guessed it. The DEFENSE. They literally know the qb has to hold the ball (3rd and long), get rid of it quickly (blitz pickup) or a screen is coming (screen period). Any bystander watching those periods (often times scripted into the scrimmage itself) will not see the bias one way or another.
(Btw...'move the ball' and 'middle of the field' and '1st and 10' are equally bias to the offense)

2. Early scrimmages are NOT geared around a gameplan. The offense is working on their own stuff and the defense is working on their own stuff. It could be that they wanna see qbs NOT make the safe easy throw and push the ball down the field...or LITERALLY give a pup a chance with ones and you've an unprepared guard going up against Williams or a pup wr lined up against Woodi. Happens every camp and often times early in camp.

3. The scrimmage AFTER the open scrimmage (I believe the Alumni scrimmage is the 17th) is the REAL scrimmage. Those are guys they'll depend on Wk 0. They're the true 1s, and both sides of the ball will have a scheme in place for the other side of the ball.

The goal now is to stay healthy and see some pups emerge as guys who can help. Both sides will have up and down sessions.

Barry and I spoke SPECIFICALLY about Fall Camp on BnM last year. We literally speak about this type of scenario on that episode. Maybe he can que it up for who ever wants to hear it. @Spacemon25 can u make it happen.

I'm not worried..past the potential injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.