ADVERTISEMENT

Scoop's Illegitimate Son: Sept. 27, 2021

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
Now here's what I thought about the booing... ha. No, no hot takes from me.

We roll? Let's roll.

Where are you, Mims and Williams?

Always like to lead with something with a PFF-centric take on the game. And what I'm seeing is the puzzling snap count numbers for wide receivers Marvin Mims and Mario Williams. Yes, we're still in this f'n spot with Mims.

I can get past Williams having four catches for 34 yards and Mims with two for 25 yards if it wasn't for the snap numbers. OU had 65 offensive snaps.

Mims - 32.
Williams - 21.

It just doesn't compute. I can attempt to understand Williams if the staff doesn't feel like he has a full grasp of the offense or if his blocking isn't at the required level. I'm not saying that's the case, but if that's the reason, I can try to get there.

What I can't do is figure out that if you have a terribly struggling offense why you wouldn't try to get guys like Mims and Williams more involved because of the game-changing ability they both possess that nobody else on the team has.

I still believe Jadon Haselwood is a No. 1 receiver, but he's not gonna stretch the field and give defenses headaches like Mims and Williams could do. It doesn't have to be a deep ball, could just be a short one that those guys can take.

But when you see the lack of separation from the receivers and the lack of yards after the catch, I'd lean on guys who should be able to provide that.

Other noticeable offensive snap counts?

Eric Gray - 42.
Kennedy Brooks - 23.

Ohhh. There's still an excitement when Gray gets the ball in open space, but that excitement is dwindling little by little with each game. You saw it on that fourth down conversion in the first quarter. Gonna need more of that, want to see more of that.

Wanya Morris - 35.
Anton Harrison - 30.

Is this the end for Harrison? And the start for Morris? Does it mean anything for the overall OL production? I don't go all ga-ga for good or bad PFF grades, but fwiw, Chris Murray (53.8), Andrew Raym (52.1) and Harrison (49.6) had the three lowest grades of OU's 19 offensive performers.

RSJ and Brown steal the show

FATfTv_UcAMXJtZ

(RSJ did his best to break the Scoop curse)

Two games that went completely different than what I imagined. We start with Broken Arrow and Westmoore where I was fully expecting OU commit Robert Spears-Jennings to have a banner day at wide receiver and have me home by mid-3rd quarter.

Nope. For one, BA didn't blow out the Jags. And for two, RSJ made his first-ever start on defense and looked dang good at the safety position.

I don't know need to rehash too much with the INT for a TD, the INT with :05 left, the two PBUs in the fourth quarter. I've talked about that. What I wanna mention is his willingness to help in run support.

I was impressed with that a great deal. He had a couple of big-time hits as well. I had him unofficially for five tackles, with two or three of them being things you don't see from a lot of high school defensive backs.

RSJ wasn't called upon a lot offensively, but there was one deep ball that he made the most out of.

He said he needed a night like that to let him know going to OU to play defense is the right move. Everybody has seen him at receiver, and he had to know that he could perform at a high level and feel comfortable doing it.

Check and check.

FATvOR8WQAAXi44

(Another showcase moment for Brown, still waiting for an OU offer)

Moving onto Choctaw-Booker T., oh wait, there's another flag. Forty-seven penalties?!? Geez, it definitely felt like that, too. What can be hard to do in the moment is ignore the penalties and trash talking and bad decisions and focus on the game and the performances.

Because when (if?) you get beyond that, another banner outing from Choctaw defensive end Desean Brown. He had multiple tackles for loss, had a sack and then a lot of other plays where he makes the initial play that leads to the real tackle being made.

He had to be accounted for every snap he was out there and showed again why he's a four-star kid. If Kenyatta Jackson is really falling through, I don't know, just saying, Brown is right there. His motor is top-notch, and he really epitomizes Choctaw. He plays with such an intensity, almost a chaotic intensity, that it leads to great things and then some bad things.

Good win for the Jackets, imagine we'll be seeing them again later this season.

As for Booker T., all Micah Tease does is catch touchdowns. We've seen him in three games, and he has a long score in each of them. He also had a huge pass breakup on fourth-and-goal to close out the first half.

The plan was for another interview with Gentry Williams to talk his OU visit. But once he got ejected and Choctaw started to dominate, eh, didn't feel like the right moment for that.

After Williams was rightfully assessed the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the sideline after the first play from scrimmage, it did feel like the Jackets were gonna test him all night to see if he'd do it again. He did and was tossed.

Sigh.

If I remember right, Williams now misses the next TWO games. I know he definitely misses this week's game, but I could have sworn Williams is out the following week, too, based on OSSAA rules.

Los Tres Alamigos

Right? Malachi Nelson, Makai Lemon and Deandre Moore all locked in with the Sooners now for the 2023 class from Los Alamitos, Calif. Moore becoming the latest Friday afternoon. The Los Tres Alamigos have been formed.

I've sorta ranted on this before, but for those that missed it, here I go again.

What feels different about Lemon, Moore and Brandon Inniss vs. Luther Burden, Jordan Hudson, Talyn Shettron?

Buckle in as I wax poetic here (not really).

Gonna hammer home two points. One, you know I feel about the quarterback thing. I just felt like it was always hard to keep Burden, Hudson and Shettron when you don't have a quarterback in the class or a quarterback for them to develop a relationship with throughout the recruiting process.

Caleb Williams can only do so much after he arrived in Norman. He cannot be focusing on keeping 2022 receivers committed. And I think it hurt, I do. It's hard, in the heat of the moment in a tight recruiting battle, to see the long-term prospects of playing with Williams.

So they didn't have a quarterback or just a straight-up leader and face of the class.

Then? Well, they didn't have a connection with each other. Nah, seriously, after all these camps and stuff and guys being from Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. They had almost no contact at all with each other until late in the spring.

No relationship, no friendship, no accountability. Or maybe better phrased, not caring when you decommit because you haven't built that bond with the other members.

There have been extenuating circumstances to explain each decommitment, but it's hard to know if those case-by-case issues could have been overcome if they had a deeper relationship.

Flip that, then, with 2023. Between Nelson, Lemon, Moore, Inniss and Treyaun Webb - man, that feels solid. We're a long ways away, duh, but you like where they are right now.

No COVID visiting restrictions so they've really gotten to know each other on some level. All were at OU for the #ChampUBBQ, and now? It just appears as though they're holding each other accountable to the #CHO23N class and what they mean to it and what they can all bring to it going down the road.

You have your quarterback in Nelson and a bunch of skill guys who are ready to come along and build whatever is necessary for that class.

Uzan down to four; McKinzie puts in Hausen work

Let's close up shop here talking some basketball as practice is right around the corner for Porter Moser.

First, previous official visitor Milos Uzan is down to four - OU, Cal, UNLV, Utah. Being from Vegas, gotta watch for UNLV and Carlin Hartman, in the odd coincidence.

Talking to an OU source, believes Utah is in the thick of things too.

As for OU?

"Oh, yea. He loves OU."

If it's OU, a whole bunch of credit goes to Jalen Hill and that family for showing Uzan what an OU experience can be like for a kid from Vegas.

Rivals 100 prospect Brendan Hausen was in Norman this weekend. Early reports say all good things, but that Texas Tech visit looms out there, just lurking and ready to attack.

OU gonna have to hope Moser's enthusiasm combined with the lack of Chris Beard at Tech can bring about good things.

And there's Kobie McKinzie putting on his recruiting hat to do all he can to get Hausen to OU with him as well.

Hope to have a lot more about Hausen's visit later this week. Villanova and OU checked off. Oregon and Tech, for sure, and we'll see if Arizona State gets that visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.