ADVERTISEMENT

SCOOPHD: Lincoln Riley (TCU Week)/Monday Post Practice ...

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
We only had Lincoln Riley and Durron Neal after practice today. This because we heard from Ty Darlington, Baker Mayfield and Sterling Shepard this morning.

Kind of a weird week. Anyhow here are highlights from Lincoln Riley's post practice meeting with reporters.

SCOOPHD: Lincoln Riley 11/16

* Over the last five games Oklahoma has outscored its opponent by an average 55-17

* Riley said he liked the mentality of his offensive unit after posting its fifth consecutive offensive output of over 500 yards. Riley likes the way the squad has welcomed the big game atmosphere.

"The mentality was great. They're not scared of the big moment. We've gotten to where I think we embrace it. We've talked about it a lot but they're showing it in big moments. Which is good. It was good to see us have a great mentality the whole game even though we really didn't quite have our 'A game'. There's still a lot of things we've got to do a lot better but our mentality put it over the top."

* Baker Mayfield leads the nation in passing efficiency with a 183.9 rating (min. of 15 attempts per game). Over the last five contests, he has completed 74.7 percent of his passes for 1,489 yards and 17 touchdowns while throwing just two interceptions (206.8 rating). Mayfield has accounted for 37 TDs (31 passing)) and just six turnovers on the year.

* Sterling Shepard's Saturday was probably more productive than yours. That is on a football field, atleast. The senior wide out finished with 14 receptions, one short of tying his own school record, for 177 yards and two touchdowns. Shep now ranks No.3 in program history in career receptions (208) and career receiving yards (3,197), and is tied for No.4 in career touchdown receptions (24) and No.3 in career 100-yard games (11).

Shepard takes the field in Norman for the final time on Saturday. Seems crazy to me. It really does seem like yesterday I was at Heritage Hall for signing day.

Here is Shepard's 200th career reception ... you could say it was a big one.

SelfishDifficultAidi.gif

* Riley credited the offensive line for protection on the Mayfield to Flowers 4th quarter touchdown toss. He also commented on the play of Mayfield and the line on the Sooners final drive following the Ahmad Thomas INT. Looking back on it, it was a heckuva play on 3rd down. Maybe not talked about enough.

BlondHauntingKillerwhale.gif

* Last but not least, I was going back through the highlights from Saturday and noticed Samaje Perine did something after his first TD that I really don't think is receiving enough recognition. This is actually really important.

I apologize for having missed this.

Is Perine showing respect for The Belldozer? Just let me believe it, even if he's not.

SparklingColdGermanshorthairedpointer.gif

Also, here are highlights from Mayfield, Shepard during Monday's media luncheon.

SCOOPHD: Monday Notebook

Reactions: whatawin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.