ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez and Neal

barkingwater2000

Sooner starter
Jan 12, 2012
Anyone catch their Twitter comments after the game? Sounded like they wanted everyone to tell them its okay and you'll get em next time. Hey news flash to these guys...you played like crap and deserve some criticism. Some of these guys need to spend a lot less time running their mouths on social media and focus more on tackling and catching the ball.

Reactions: BillyRay
Sanchez...........They the fair weather ass fans tht we don't need , the loyal ones support no matter , we love them.

These kids can't hardly wait to get on their cell phone when the game is over

I like Sanchez but sometimes he just needs to shut up and play. He has been struggling this year and we got another big one coming Saturday

None of us would like to have people posting how lousy we were at what we do every day. It worse when you're a college student. And not everybody played like crap. Nobody scores a 100 in a football game. The other guy will win a few. The better the opponent the more they win.

Five plays in a game can be the difference. Still trying to figure out how the Horns runner could go 80 plus at the end. I thought that was the key play, followed closely by the KO return fumble. Swap those and a couple of other plays, and the accusations of how lousy they all were might be totally different.

I really don't think that the defense was that poor. And when I was watching Sanchez, he got his job done nine in ten times, including tackling larger running backs. I know that OU fans expect all of our db's to tackle like Roy Williams and cover like Deion Sanders, but I only know of one guy ever who was close to that. He had a Trojan logo on the side of his helmet.

I just genuinely hope that Sanchez and his teammates are as unhappy about this as OUr fans are. And that they do something about it. They could still win the conference by winning out. I know that few of us expect that, but fewer expected a loss Saturday.

These guys need to set their jaws and make some decisions about how important winning is to them. The defense needs to take a step up and understand they're going to have to perform over and above "normal." They need to be exceptional. And I think they can be.

Time needs to be bought until this OLine gets some room for improvement, however that comes to pass. If they can get to early November with only one loss, then something great might happen. I don't think either are likely right now. But both are possible.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
None of us would like to have people posting how lousy we were at what we do every day. It worse when you're a college student. And not everybody played like crap. Nobody scores a 100 in a football game. The other guy will win a few. The better the opponent the more they win.

Five plays in a game can be the difference. Still trying to figure out how the Horns runner could go 80 plus at the end. I thought that was the key play, followed closely by the KO return fumble. Swap those and a couple of other plays, and the accusations of how lousy they all were might be totally different.

I really don't think that the defense was that poor. And when I was watching Sanchez, he got his job done nine in ten times, including tackling larger running backs. I know that OU fans expect all of our db's to tackle like Roy Williams and cover like Deion Sanders, but I only know of one guy ever who was close to that. He had a Trojan logo on the side of his helmet.

I just genuinely hope that Sanchez and his teammates are as unhappy about this as OUr fans are. And that they do something about it. They could still win the conference by winning out. I know that few of us expect that, but fewer expected a loss Saturday.

These guys need to set their jaws and make some decisions about how important winning is to them. The defense needs to take a step up and understand they're going to have to perform over and above "normal." They need to be exceptional. And I think they can be.

Time needs to be bought until this OLine gets some room for improvement, however that comes to pass. If they can get to early November with only one loss, then something great might happen. I don't think either are likely right now. But both are possible.
Plaino did you play sports? I did. The LAST thing I wanted after I played bad was for somebody to come up and tell me I played good. No I didn't! These kids are way too concerned with what people are saying on social media. They play at OU. They are going to get criticized. Its part of being at a big time university

Plaino did you play sports? I did. The LAST thing I wanted after I played bad was for somebody to come up and tell me I played good. No I didn't! These kids are way too concerned with what people are saying on social media. They play at OU. They are going to get criticized. Its part of being at a big time university

Oh I agree with that. But there is a difference between saying that a guy sucks all the time, and how hopeless it is, and telling a guy he played poorly, but I think you can get better.

As for whether I played, the answer is yes. I believe I was very likely the worst varsity athlete in the history of my school. And I was the worst on the track team, the worst on the baseball team, and the worst on the basketball team. But I was out there ever day. Long on fundamentals, very short of talent, size and quickness.

I was a terrific slowpitch softball player, Even got drafted to go to go to state with a team that could take any two guys from the region. And I was player/head coach on another team that won state 30 years ago. By that time, at 34, I was a better coach than player, but still a solid contributor. Played first and second a little and caught a little. Was drafted to go to state as a pitcher, but that wasn't what I was best at.

I believe, I ran the slowest time in school history in the mile. But without me, they'd have only had two, so since I knew all the coaches really well, they let me. That was the least fun I ever had competing. I never finished last, but I flirted with it a couple of times.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Oh I agree with that. But there is a difference between saying that a guy sucks all the time, and how hopeless it is, and telling a guy he played poorly, but I think you can get better.

As for whether I played, the answer is yes. I believe I was very likely the worst varsity athlete in the history of my school. And I was the worst on the track team, the worst on the baseball team, and the worst on the basketball team. But I was out there ever day. Long on fundamentals, very short of talent, size and quickness.

I was a terrific slowpitch softball player, Even got drafted to go to go to state with a team that could take any two guys from the region. And I was player/head coach on another team that won state 30 years ago. By that time, at 34, I was a better coach than player, but still a solid contributor. Played first and second a little and caught a little. Was drafted to go to state as a pitcher, but that wasn't what I was best at.

I believe, I ran the slowest time in school history in the mile. But without me, they'd have only had two, so since I knew all the coaches really well, they let me. That was the least fun I ever had competing. I never finished last, but I flirted with it a couple of times.
Well this is just my opinion, but I think these guys would be a lot more focused and better off if they would lay off social media at least during football season. I know it aint gonna happen though

I totally agree with you, but then, I'm very old school. I don't know, but suspect that Sanchez is playing hurt, and wants to be appreciated for that. I would be. But it's not the lay of the landscape. He chose to play at a big time football school. I think he's an exceptional defensive back, and he plays on an island more than anybody we have in the secondary.

But every guy on this team needs to look inward and they collectively need to come together and decide st step up their own performance. And Sanchez ought to be a leader. Complaining about what is being said on media is the opposite of what a leader does.

Sanchez has an attitude; it comes with pros and cons. He can play better. He knows it. We know it.

Fans see things diffetently cause these young men are living our dream. We can't understand how they could ever give anything less than 100% but we can never understand just what they're going through.

Keep your heads high boys, we're still routing for you. Let Kansas State pay for your frustrations and keep working for what you want.

Reactions: Section22Sooner

Ya I really don't think it's likely either. The OL isn't devoid of experience. The line is starting 3 seniors, and if they haven't figured it out by now, then what we have seen so far this season most likely is what we are stuck with the rest of the year. Then, OU is stuck in the same position next season in having to replace and rebuild the line....again. I think if what we are seeing is the best these guys can give, then let's sit the seniors and let some underclassman play. Could it truly be that much worse?? At the very least, those guys can go through their baptism of fire and take their licks this year, rather than next year and save everyone some pain next year.

Pointing fingers at players is not the answer. OUT COACHED, is the number one issue. Lack of player development and recruiting.

Anyone catch their Twitter comments after the game? Sounded like they wanted everyone to tell them its okay and you'll get em next time. Hey news flash to these guys...you played like crap and deserve some criticism. Some of these guys need to spend a lot less time running their mouths on social media and focus more on tackling and catching the ball.
IDIOT POST OF THE YEAR!

I totally agree with you, but then, I'm very old school. I don't know, but suspect that Sanchez is playing hurt, and wants to be appreciated for that. I would be. But it's not the lay of the landscape. He chose to play at a big time football school. I think he's an exceptional defensive back, and he plays on an island more than anybody we have in the secondary.

But every guy on this team needs to look inward and they collectively need to come together and decide st step up their own performance. And Sanchez ought to be a leader. Complaining about what is being said on media is the opposite of what a leader does.

Plaino, you have suggested that Sanchez may be playing hurt several times. He seems healthy to me. What do you see or have you heard something that makes you feel the way you do. Or, do you just think he hasn't recovered fully from last year? Actually, I think he looks great, then bad, then good, then good, then good, then really bad, and so on and so on. As has been said, this kind of performance goes with the position. IMO, all Sanchez needs is about 20 lbs without losing any of his quickness and speed. But more importantly, he needs someone to teach him HOW to tackle and demand it from him and his teammates. OU simply tackles like a bunch of junior kids that are playing against high schoolers....tackling not to get hurt.

Pretty sure he has an ailing shoulder. If he can't get in a good lick with his good shoulder, he can look pretty ordinary. It was pretty evident on one play Saturday along the sideline. He hurt it tackling the bulls at UTenn. It was obvious immediately after the trip to Knoxville. It's better, but still not great.

Just because somebody catches a pass when he's in coverage, doesn't mean he's done a lousy job. Sometimes, the other guys make a play. Most corners' most important feature is a short memory.

Pretty sure he has an ailing shoulder. If he can't get in a good lick with his good shoulder, he can look pretty ordinary. It was pretty evident on one play Saturday along the sideline. He hurt it tackling the bulls at UTenn. It was obvious immediately after the trip to Knoxville. It's better, but still not great.

Just because somebody catches a pass when he's in coverage, doesn't mean he's done a lousy job. Sometimes, the other guys make a play. Most corners' most important feature is a short memory.

Haven't noticed that, but I will look for it Saturday. We seem to recruit kids Sanchez size, and I understand why, but the trade off is being out manned by bigger receivers and running backs. Still no excuse for the poor tackling execution that is a team-wide issue, IMO. It's just so obvious, and unexplainable. Is this the new method? In your opinion, why do our kids tackle so poorly? Or, do you disagree? Appreciate your viewpoint of this subject. Thanks.

I think I know exactly the play you are talking about. UTs first drive in the 3rd qtr right??

Where are you reading/hearing that his shoulder is still hurt? I haven't noticed it being mentioned over on the pay board, unless I just totally missed a thread or post.

Alright, well I too agree that I wish the kids would stay off of Twitter but in this day and age most aren't going to. Also it's one thing to come on a message board and bash a kid. But tweeting an athlete a message on twitter is basically like texting them cause it's going to come up on their timeline. So here is a guy (and i'm not a huge Sanchez fan) who just played in a game and is probably pissed he got beat no doubt and he pops open his phone and begins reading his twitter feed....

WhoozYoDaddy ‏@WhoozYoDaddy Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 you couldn't cover a snail. all mouth. #overrated

Chris Richards ‏@SoonerDevil Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 what the hell is that? Put your hat on someone and make a tackle. That's shameful.

kyle humble ‏@khumble14 Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 hope you feel like a puss cuz you are

Colby ‏@AllHailCheese Oct 10 Highland Park, IL
@ZSanchez15 @BobStoopsOU yall played like trash today. Thanks a lot Bob

Matthew Sikes ‏@mateo_sikes Oct 10 Vista, CA
@ZSanchez15 what a joke! You guys love to act arrogant....BUT, you just got housed by a bad team. Smh.

Dillon Durant ‏@derners Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 can't blame that on SAE bro. Just your shitty game and haircut.

cheezy mike stoops ‏@cheezymikestoop Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 Damm Sanchez you can't even cover or tackle a fly

@TyDarlington56 @ZSanchez15 don't give up just at least three more losses. Wear black and everything will be better.

That Guy ‏@Soonerguy14 Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 GTFOH It's always the same shit and u guys choke. Stop talking bout Bama in 13' and do something in 2015. Today was embarrassing

Phillip ‏@Phillip_2_25 Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 You guys had your head up your ass. If you would pull it out you might win more games.

Robbie Lewis ‏@LewisRobbie12 Oct 10
@ZSanchez15 @DedeTHEGreat11 trying to be optimistic, but wow Texas is such shit. Should almost count as two losses. Oh well.

Alright, well I too agree that I wish the kids would stay off of Twitter but in this day and age most aren't going to. Also it's one thing to come on a message board and bash a kid. But tweeting an athlete a message on twitter is basically like texting them cause it's going to come up on their timeline. So here is a guy (and i'm not a huge Sanchez fan) who just played in a game and is probably pissed he got beat no doubt and he pops open his phone and begins reading his twitter feed....

@ZSanchez15 what the hell is that? Put your hat on someone and make a tackle. That's shameful.

@ZSanchez15 what a joke! You guys love to act arrogant....BUT, you just got housed by a bad team. Smh.

@TyDarlington56 @ZSanchez15 don't give up just at least three more losses. Wear black and everything will be better.

@ZSanchez15 GTFOH It's always the same shit and u guys choke. Stop talking bout Bama in 13' and do something in 2015. Today was embarrassing

@ZSanchez15 You guys had your head up your ass. If you would pull it out you might win more games.

@ZSanchez15 @DedeTHEGreat11 trying to be optimistic, but wow Texas is such shit. Should almost count as two losses. Oh well.

Deja vu, if you were watching the game at your local sports bar. Certainly heard this and more at PJs. But to your point, its different when it gets back to the player, but they would be the first to bitch if social media was taken away from them, so they should expect to get grief after losing as a 16 point favorite against Texas. I don't blame them for what they are saying back. It's expected.

Well I obviously agree these guys are internet cowards. Nobody should be talking smack to a player directly, but this is another reason why social media is probably a bad thing for players. Some, including Sanchez, just aren't mature enough to blow it off.

I watched a recruiting show recently and they asked recruits about Twitter. A lot of players said they do tweet which I expected. The top recruit in the nation doesn't and the number 20 recruit doesn't. One said he reads it but never post anything. They understood the negatives of tweeting.
I would never accept it in the locker room but it's not going away no matter how lame we think it is.

Haven't noticed that, but I will look for it Saturday. We seem to recruit kids Sanchez size, and I understand why, but the trade off is being out manned by bigger receivers and running backs. Still no excuse for the poor tackling execution that is a team-wide issue, IMO. It's just so obvious, and unexplainable. Is this the new method? In your opinion, why do our kids tackle so poorly? Or, do you disagree? Appreciate your viewpoint of this subject. Thanks.

There is no right philosophy, but Bob changed his in a major way this season. They did a lot less hitting in August. You did not see Oklahoma drills online. I think they went without them. I do not know, but think it is a good guess that the view of testing toughness in the preseason was considered less valuable than keeping guys less banged up. Football is so different than it was in 1999. OU was the only spread. You could make a receiver think twice about coming into the middle. And the philosophy of officials was less a factor.

One week, picks are allowed all over the field. Holding is called tight one week and ignored the next. There is an awful lot of luck involved. The Sooners were called for a bunch of penalties in 4 wins and it became a point of emphasis. So they committed fewer, but were put at a disadvantage I think in a week when they were not calling much. I saw us hold some not called on plays away from the foul. but I also saw a ton of holding by the other guys at the point of attack not called. i think it puts a tackler at a disadvantage. Maybe the emphasis on being penalty free, affected agressiveness. I do not know. when I heard OUr center say they came out flat, it PISSES ME OFF.This was the RRR.

I do think that UT was not as bad as they appeared to be against TCU. they surely have quality athletes. Maybe this was the first week that their guys decided to not phone it in.

I do think that structurally, there were scheme issues on both sides. That little cross motion from wide, giving the possibility of jet sweep, but masking power play intent has hurt us in the last two games. It is not going to be let up until it gets stopped. but still, they only scored 24. If the OLine does not at least reach competent, this will not be the only loss this month.and several are possible in November.

If the Sooners aren't just crazy pumped Saturday after the Texas abortion, and end up getting beat again like the Horns beat them, I will be surprised if they don't fold the season. They just can't afford to have two consecutive games the likes of the RRR. Bob's team have a history of coming back strong after a disappointing loss as a favorite. Not always, but more times than not he has won after a bad loss. 2013, for example. So I expect to see a strong effort Saturday. OU could still lose, but if they play smart and hard, that will be okay with me. IMO, this team isn't talented enough (overall) to win games against most of the Big 12 teams this year unless their opponents play poorly. If TCU, KSU, Tech, OSU, and Baylor play well, OU still could lose even if they play well also. Except for Baylor, and to a lesser degree, TCU, the Big 12 seems to be pretty balanced. Kansas and Iowa State are the only two this year that aren't competitive. Texas proved they are Saturday.

It pisses me off that fans would tweet shit like that directly too a player after a loss. I was frustrated too but damn, give these kids a bit of a break. They are still young and it's just a game.

Nature of the beast though if these guys want to partake in social media.

If you want to play big time ball and be on twitter at the same time, you better be good & you better win or.... you better be able to handle what you read. I'm not sure if Sanchez would love my loyalty or call me a fair weather ass fan. I guess it would depend on what I'd say. Which pretty much sums up my expectations for him. Either get an INT, defend the pass, wrap up & tackle & then you get words of praise or don't do these things and then deal with criticism, it's what fans do.

I imagine many college players aren't focused enough to be completely into the game. I don't know about players but some people get addicted to it.
Twitter addiction is a bad disease.
Let's stamp it out!

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
If you want to play big time ball and be on twitter at the same time, you better be good & you better win or.... you better be able to handle what you read. I'm not sure if Sanchez would love my loyalty or call me a fair weather ass fan. I guess it would depend on what I'd say. Which pretty much sums up my expectations for him. Either get an INT, defend the pass, wrap up & tackle & then you get words of praise or don't do these things and then deal with criticism, it's what fans do.

It's really an impossible situation to deal with. You could make a rule regarding Twitter but there are so many avenues of social media you'd just be pissing in the wind. We don't really live in an age where you can tell these kids they can't partake in social media.

Let's just hope the smack talk these boys got from Twitter pissed them off and they rub our noses in it by taking out their anger on Kansas State. Anger can be a great motivator. I know cause it kept my undersized ass going when I was privileged to be the varsity line's smashing dummy my sophomore season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT