ADVERTISEMENT

Riley to USC

absolutely the most ignorant move most of us outside of oklahoma have ever witnessed was perennial top 10 OU moving to the sec, probably at the fierce resistance of lincoln riley. now he's gone. i hope those who thought hubris was more important than fundamentals suffer from this to their graves.
Oxygen brother. Breath in breath out.

I think two issues: 1. defenses are catching up to Riley and he cannot compete in the SEC. 2. according to Dean Blevins, Riley was feeling unappreciated.

So, I am going on record and saying that a $7Mil coach who does not feel appreciated, should first look at his pay stub and second grow a pair.

I knew he was not a disciplinarian but now it looks like he is just a pu$$y.
I've been saying that for a while now. He's soft as all get out.

Kingsbury targeted by OU per Adam Schaffer at ESPN.
Man, personally I'd be more interested in a guy like Aranda. Kingsbury is in the Leach tree and with us going to the SEC we need someone defense minded imo who can start recruiting some of those SEC swamp monsters on defense. Riley wanted a finesse speed D

Reactions: ShamWowed
Awww his feelings got hurt...better get to his safe space with his blankie. Good Coaches take note of criticism...and make real changes, but not this weak kneed man.

I think two issues: 1. defenses are catching up to Riley and he cannot compete in the SEC. 2. according to Dean Blevins, Riley was feeling unappreciated.

So, I am going on record and saying that a $7Mil coach who does not feel appreciated, should first look at his pay stub and second grow a pair.

I knew he was not a disciplinarian but now it looks like he is just a pu$$y.

This was the worst November OU football in many years. Losing two and almost the third. And Caleb wasn't as productive in any of those games. Had Riley already packed his bags during this time? In retrospect it sure looks like it.
Yes he had...but he didn't forget his cell phone luckily. Just look at all the California commits dropping off OU's board.

The grass isn't always greener.

LA, isn't a football city
USC has shown, football is not a priority. But they have made a huge splash, with hiring Lincoln.
Even with Pete Carroll, the stands didn't fill up, only marque games.
The "California Culture" is not football strong.
People are leaving California in droves
He hasn't seen cancel culture, like what he'll see in LA.

Riley- Bob I need your advice.
Bob- Sure Linc whats up?
Riley- I am thinking about taking the job at USC.
Bob- (thinks to himself, I have been wanting to get back into Coaching again how should I answer?)
Bob- Good Program, lots of history, sleeping giant, good recruiting grounds, woke admin and reporters like yourself I would take it, its the dream job of a lifetime.
Riley- yep sounds like a nice place to raise a family and lose some games I shouldn't. I will take it!
Bob- I am baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Get Mike and all the old gang on the phone! We are back in business!

Let's be honest. LR only had another season or two, before his seat gets really hot. Another average year with a blowout and he would be feeling the heat. At USC, he gets at least 3 more years before he has to be held accountable.

Plus he'll be easy to recruit against. Do you really want a quieter for your coach? That's everyone line going forward!

Reactions: Belldozer1
Let's be honest. LR only had another season or two, before his seat gets really hot. Another average year with a blowout and he would be feeling the heat. At USC, he gets at least 3 more years before he has to be held accountable.

Plus he'll be easy to recruit against. Do you really want a quieter for your coach? That's everyone line going forward!
No but I wanted him to handle the situation with more class and loyalty to the University. I was over him and ready to move on but I think how he worked this situation was in poor taste.

This is going to be very painful in the short term. Kiss Nelson goodbye and possibly Williams. Dang does this mean Rattler is staying? lol. This is a major blow because of the lying, ungrateful soft Texas hillbilly.

Reactions: loopafied68
Honest question? How do you think Riley really felt about the move to the SEC? I mean its not like it really opens up more recruiting for OU, given you're already bringing in consistent top 10 classes. Its not going to be easier to win. We all agree with that. And it had to hurt his relationships with other coaches in the league. Just wonder if there was underlying friction regarding the SEC move. His clear desire to leave seems awfully sudden and I assumed sought after given that USC is a lateral move at best program-wise, and he chose not to take the LSU $$$ that was reportedly offered, which makes me think he's not really interested in playing in the SEC.

Honest question? How do you think Riley really felt about the move to the SEC? I mean its not like it really opens up more recruiting for OU, given you're already bringing in consistent top 10 classes. Its not going to be easier to win. We all agree with that. And it had to hurt his relationships with other coaches in the league. Just wonder if there was underlying friction regarding the SEC move. His clear desire to leave seems awfully sudden and I assumed sought after given that USC is a lateral move at best program-wise, and he chose not to take the LSU $$$ that was reportedly offered, which makes me think he's not really interested in playing in the SEC.

Looks like he was not for it at all. If it were about money lsu may have been the choice.
I think he wanted an easy path to the Playoffs and USC gives him that. Easier to win Conference and all the media love you could want. We all saw where the CFP Comm had OU when we were undefeated and the path to the Playoffs and a Natty that would get him in the NFL got a whole lot harder moving to the SEC.
He will also likely be able to land any stud recruit he wants or needs. He better pay more attention to the defensive side of the ball though. Defense wins Championships and thats why we haven't won one in 21 yrs.

Last edited:
How many Pac 12 teams have made the playoffs? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the SEC has had more teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: iasooner2000
We need a strong 2022/2023 recruiting class, these are the guys that will be playing when we head to the SEC. A subpar class could set OU back several years.

Reactions: soonersoldier
No but I wanted him to handle the situation with more class and loyalty to the University. I was over him and ready to move on but I think how he worked this situation was in poor taste.
"Class and Loyalty to a University"? Looks like karma to me after what OU and TeAss did to the remaining BIG 12 schools.

Probably true now. We will not be entering the SEC with momentum of any kind. Having said that, what glory is there in winning the Big 12 year after year only to be curb-stomped in the post season? I'm not thinking we will go in and tear it up. Especially when eeking out wins to power houses like Tulane, Kansas, and Texas. This team took a step or two back this season and I thought it mainly due to missing starters and retooling O-line.

Now I'm not so sure there were other reasons as our head coach could not hack it in the new venue and was slowly self-destructing all the while telling everyone how close we were (probably BS but it makes me feel better).

This is the worst OU has played in several years and we were still competitive enough to make it to the Big 12 championship--almost. It is no longer an accomplishment that resonates. Ask the playoff committee what they think of the Big 12.

Regardless, it is done so we shall SEC.
Brett_McMurphy (@Brett McMurphy) Tweeted: Teams ranked among Top 16 in this week’s @AP_Top25 poll:

Future Big 12: 5
Future SEC: 4
Big Ten: 4
Pac-12: 2
ACC: 0

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT