ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Play Calling against Baylor

jduvy88

Sooner starter
May 9, 2019
@dmackey13

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

1. Could someone explain to me why Lincoln called so many slow developing play action passes when it wasn't fooling anyone? PA passes don't work when you aren't running the ball right? Linc did the exact same shit against West Virginia and it didn't work. Then the final drive against WVU Linc went quick game and Rattler went up the field with ease. It seemed like yesterday Linc called PA on 90% of the passing attempts. I just don't understand why you'd call that b/c 1) it makes the Oline have to block longer and 2) OU wasn't running the ball or with much success anyways

2. I realize Lincoln is a product of the Texas Tech Air Raid tree, but I've always griped about how 99% of runs are out of the shotgun. You know, I'm not saying Oklahoma has to run out of the I formation or under center most of the time, but would it hurt to do it occasionally? It just seems like the RBs at OU rarely have a full head of steam by the time they get the handoff out of the shotgun. They mainly seem to be just starting or running laterally when they take the handoff. I watched UGA yesterday and they mixed in several toss sweeps and under center hanoffs. By the time the RB gets the ball on those designed runs the RB has a full head of steam. Only time I've seen OU go under center is near the goal line, and it almost always is successful. Don't understand why Linc doesn't use it more. Especially when you can call so many bootleg or run/pass options from under center too.

3. Why so many deep bombs? I put a lot of blame on Caleb yesterday and the officials. Caleb missed a wide open Mims and officials should've called PI on the Mims and Woods plays. But why didn't Linc try to get Mario or Gray in space more? Gray got one pass, and another designed screen to him that never had a chance and that's all I remember. And no targets for Mario at all?

I feel Linc is totally wasting Gray. His one play yesterday was a thing of beauty. I don't understand why Linc didn't try targeting Mario and Gray at least 5 times a piece on screens, or short to intermediate routes. Or drags.

It seemed like yesterday Linc was only deep ball or bust. It was probably the worst game plan I've ever seen him come up with.

Granted, Caleb played terribly, but I feel like Linc put Caleb and the offense in bad situations with his terrible play calling.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News