ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Kansas

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 87 - Man, tough day to grade - three turnovers against clearly his best day throwing as a Sooner.
RB: Eric Gray - 97 - His best game as a Sooner and just incredible open field runs all day.
WR: Theo Wease - 86 - Well it looks like @BPrzybylo had it right, big night from Wease.
WR: Marvin Mims - 88 - Was key to have him back in things and definitely kept the Kansas defense focused.
WR: Drake Stoops - 85 - Man, this is the game for him to play some great chain-moving pickups for him on the day.
TE: Brayden Willis- 100 - That's the most complete game I've seen him play - he was KILLING Jayhawks on the edge.
OT: Anton Harrison - 89 - Thought he did a great job nullifying the Kansas pass rush.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 83 - I didn't see any big problems here but it wasn't overwhelming by any stretch.
C: Andrew Raym - 86 - Was one of his most consistent games did a nice job pushing KU around inside - want to go back and watch him, felt like a real step was taken.
OG: Chris Murray - 84 - Stayed out of penalties and I thought he did a nice job opening up a lot of lanes on the right side.
OT: Wanya Morris - 72 - Was largely pretty good but had some bad pass sets that hurt OU later in the game.

Offensive Average: 87 (957)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 55 - I think I noticed him once all day.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 72 - Had some flashes early on and was fairly steady but the Sooners still need more.
NT: Isaiah Coe - 77 - Thought Coe was one of two defensive lineman for the Sooners who consistently made an impact.
DE: Ethan Downs - 80 - One of his better games, particularly in the first half.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 50 - Man, when he's good - it's impressive but I want to go back and be sure that SO MANY of these mistakes were all his.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 60 - Thought he actually showed some notable improvement though, much like the rest of the defense it's a jump from awful.
CH: DaShaun White - 78 - White continues to find his feet in that Cheetah role and that key pick is when it felt like things started to solidify.
CB: Woodi Washington - 83 - That looked more like the Woodi Washington we all expected.
CB: Jaden Davis - 70 - Davis was steady today but you're still seeing those behind him make more plays.
S: Justin Broiles - 65 - He was ok, not awful, but that early hit felt like it could have been a pick instead.
S: Keyshawn Lawrence - 86 - See Washington, this was the guy many expected the Sooners to get. Brings a LOT of intensity to that defense.

Defensive Average: 70.5 (776)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 88 - Hit a key field goal late that helped and connected with @Eddie_Rado with regularity.
P: Michael Turk - 78 - Wasn't needed very often but wasn't his best kick on the one he did get. Didn't give his team a chance to down it.
KR: Jalil Farooq - 70 - He's a young guy who believes he can make a big play every time he gets a touch.
PR: Marvin Mims - N/A -

Special Teams Average: 78.66 (236)

Key Reserves:

RB: Jovantae Barnes - 81 - Hard to believe his longest run of the day was just seven yards. He ran HARD for the Sooners.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 74 - Nothing spectacular but he is going to pop a big-time run after catch play soon enough.
WR: Gavin Freeman - 83 - Mr. big play needs to see more plays.
CB: C.J. Coldon - 85 - Think you've got to give this guy a look for at least a split of the snaps opposite Woodi Washington - no?
S: Robert Spears-Jennings - 78 - He earned more and I'm betting on him. He'll only get more and more snaps and may take someone's job by EOY.

Reserves Average: 80.2 (401)

Team Average: 79 (2370)

My Overall Grade: 76

Breakdown:
This one is an interesting one to grade because there's just no way around the previous weeks of defense skew my view of this week's effort. It was better, it just was. But was it good?

Ehhh, I don't know how you really argue that point. But OU did get off the field and for the first time in a while was good on third down and kept a quality offense from doing them too much damage with big plays.

Offensively the Sooners were clicking all day long save for when they shot themselves in the foot. It wasn't a bad day, and for a team on the slide it was a good response against a confident Kansas bunch.

Oklahoma was more aggressive up front - at least to my initial viewing - and I thought it paid off by forcing Jason Bean to make more throws and allowing far less.

But more than anything I thought Oklahoma's defense did a good job adjusting to the way Kansas was attacking them and when there was an error you didn't see it repeated to the point of a dark comedy.

It wasn't perfect but it was a step in the right direction.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News