ADVERTISEMENT

Really Boomers?

I am opposite as if OU does make a move I would have no problem with the B10 as OU would get the NU rivalry back. Plus having TOSU and Michigan on the schedule every now and then would be great also.

The SEC is the only other conference I could see OU going to. That would be great for me as OU would come to Fayetteville every other year which I would make it a regular go see game.

I'm with you. The Big XII needs to poach the two Arizona schools and this would be a good to great conference for both OU and Texas. Stick OU and OSU in the North Division with the texas and Arizona schools in the South and we are set.

That would be great, Roy, but I don’t see the B12 adding another school that has a pulse much less two. And really a 14 team conference is better, IMO but 12 is a minimum. A 10 team conference is laughable. Even the MAC has 12 members and the Mountain West has 11.

Last edited:
That would be great, Roy, but I don’t see the B12 adding another school that has a pulse much less two. And really a 14 team conference is better, IMO but 12 is a minimum. A 10 team conference is laughable. Even the MAC has 12 members and the Mountain West has 11.

I think for the first time in my life I will have to disagree with you about the 10 team league being laughable. I usually agree with you on everything but I think the 10 team league is the model that should be used today as it allows everyone to play each other in the season. What I think is laughable really when it comes down to it is that since we play round robin the extra game (CCG) lessens the league season. For instance this season Oklahoma won what could be called the regular season by going 8-1 in league play and then they had to play for the league championship all over again. Its like OU had to win the league twice to be called conference champions.

When you have a 12 or 14 team league sometimes you have one side of the league that dominates the other side when it comes to championship match-ups. For instance in looking at the SEC history.

From 1992 ( the Inception of the CCG in the SEC ) the East won the first 6 championships before it was finally broken by Alabama in 1999. From 2000-2009 they split 5-5. But since 2010 the West won 7 straight before UGA last season was able to break the West stranglehold for at least a year. To me that doesn't say much for a conference that prides itself on being the best from top to bottom when one division can have such a hold on the conference championships.

The Big 12 when we had 12 was much the same way in that from 2000 to 2010 the South won 8 or the 11 Championship games. Overall the South is 10-5 when we had divisions. When you look at things like this you lose balance in the league because the numbers would tell you that one division is sending a champion to the championship game because the teams are not as good on one side as it is the other side.

Heck the short history of the B10 since 2014 the East has won every season. You could say they have won 7 of the 8 if you include going back to when they were called Legends and Leaders divisions.

I just think bigger leagues can water down a conference to the point where it allows one side to dominate the other.

I think for the first time in my life I will have to disagree with you about the 10 team league being laughable. I usually agree with you on everything but I think the 10 team league is the model that should be used today as it allows everyone to play each other in the season. What I think is laughable really when it comes down to it is that since we play round robin the extra game (CCG) lessens the league season. For instance this season Oklahoma won what could be called the regular season by going 8-1 in league play and then they had to play for the league championship all over again. Its like OU had to win the league twice to be called conference champions.

When you have a 12 or 14 team league sometimes you have one side of the league that dominates the other side when it comes to championship match-ups. For instance in looking at the SEC history.

From 1992 ( the Inception of the CCG in the SEC ) the East won the first 6 championships before it was finally broken by Alabama in 1999. From 2000-2009 they split 5-5. But since 2010 the West won 7 straight before UGA last season was able to break the West stranglehold for at least a year. To me that doesn't say much for a conference that prides itself on being the best from top to bottom when one division can have such a hold on the conference championships.

The Big 12 when we had 12 was much the same way in that from 2000 to 2010 the South won 8 or the 11 Championship games. Overall the South is 10-5 when we had divisions. When you look at things like this you lose balance in the league because the numbers would tell you that one division is sending a champion to the championship game because the teams are not as good on one side as it is the other side.

Heck the short history of the B10 since 2014 the East has won every season. You could say they have won 7 of the 8 if you include going back to when they were called Legends and Leaders divisions.

I just think bigger leagues can water down a conference to the point where it allows one side to dominate
the other.

59, my laughable comment is based on the other Power 5 conferences expansion. Yes, 10 is great if the others were 10, but to be out of step with the competition leaves us open for all sorts of negativity. Hell, I wish we were still in the Big 8 and all the other conferences were where they were in 1970. I don’t care for the Power 5 concept because there just aren’t enough competitive programs available. However, only having 10 teams when all the others have 12 or more is not good, IMO. Especially when the Big 12 has at least 2 or 3 poor teams every years. If we could replace Kansas with a Notre Dame or another good program, I would quit whining. I fear we just going to add a couple lifeless programs to get to 12. I would rather join one of the other Power conferences. I respect your posts and opinions too, my friend.

If we're going to be called the Big XII, we NEED to have 12 schools! Place 6 schools in the North and 6 schools in the South and at the end of the season, pit the top school in each division for the Big XII Championship like we used to do. It's not hard but common sense has been lost in this country.

Recently the B10 has been said to possibly be doing away with divisions and use the B12 model of pitting the 2 best teams at seasons end. Of course the scheduling concept would remain the same. There has also been talk in some circles of the SEC doing that.

If certain leagues feel like the B12 needs to be like the other 4 Power conferences then shouldnt they also be advocating playing 9 game conference schedules if the want uniformity? As of now unless I am mistaken 2 of those ( SEC, ACC) continue to only play 8 games within conference.

I would be all for staying in the B12 if they could add 2 teams of substance but realistically Im not sure there are 2 out there worth adding unless the conference was able to poach a couple of bigger schools with somewhat of respectabilty ( IE Arizona, ASU) to improve the respectability of the conference. Right now though the P12 has an even bigger image problem than our B12 does so now may be the time to move on that.

Reactions: Oklabama
What is the point in having a Championship game if you have already played everyone in your division? If an undefeated team gets beat by a team with 3 losses, is the 3-loss team really the Champion of the league? This is quite stupid to me.

They have a round robin because, for whatever reason, they do not have divisions. Let's see, both the NFL and MLB have a round-robin schedule where they play everyone in their division, but they do not play them again in a "championship" game to determine the season champion.

Either do away with the Championship game and just determine the season champion based on record or split the schools into divisions and have a Championship game like we used to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT