ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts on the Red-White Game

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*The offensive line...WOW, there's work to do there.

I realize that isn't breaking news and frankly it's not a huge surprise as Oklahoma has a true freshman left tackle, a new starter at left guard, a center coming off injury and a RG that is who he is. There were some bright moments and I thought in the second quarter they got better but it's a group that just was getting beaten one-on-one with way too much regularity.

**Rondell Bothroyd is what everyone has been talking about all spring. Great motor, violent hands, he's just a guy that can make plays in all phases. He's got a bit more burst than I expected and I'm interested to see if Oklahoma does some things where they slide him around a bit during third and long scenarios. I also think there's no doubt he's a starter come the fall.

***The quarterbacks, pretty uninspiring all the way around. Dillon Gabriel was still struggling with high throws and Jackson Arnold saw too much pressure and I thought as the game wore on he got some happy feet at times. The latter, very understandable and forgiveable but with Gabriel, at some point there's got to be a step forward - right?

****Much like Bothroyd, holy cow is Dasan McCullough special. Just a guy that is capable of being an impact player in every phase of the game and seems to have found a role that suits him well.

*****It's a spring game for a player who is just headed to his sophomore year so I'm trying not to draw too much from it but Jayden Gibson, I feel like he keeps showing us who he is. Catching the ball has been a consistent issue for him during his time at Oklahoma and for a guy who needs to have the strength to high point the football...I'm just not sure how any of his quarterbacks would feel great about throwing him the ball late.

******I was a guy that kind of liked Davon Sears coming out of Texas State and then didn't hear much all spring and figured he was just going to be the role guy that everyone assumed but seeing him out there, he's got a decent frame that will only get better this summer with Jerry Schmidt putting him through the rounds. But I also see a guy who has some twitch and is a tough double. I want to watch where he goes over the next six months.

*******Finally I love what I saw from Oklahoma's young defenders, Peyton Bowen and P.J. Adebawore are going to be very difficult to keep off the field.

********To keep @tenman85 from more verbal abuse some quick hitters...

I thought that L.V. Bunkley-Shelton had some bright moments, I love how control he is in his routes and though he's not a field-stretching player he is a guy who can keep the chains moving.

Jaren Kanak looks so much more comfortable out there. His speed can't be ignored but I saw him just reacting much more naturally.

Reggie Pearson was a guy that should have been noted in the first batch. Very active and that play on the would-be Stogner touchdown...that's six points last year, just such a good understanding and you could tell from the snap that's where OU wanted to go and Pearson clearly saw it too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News