ADVERTISEMENT

QB Situation

NykoSymonds91

Silver Member
Jun 24, 2024
In my opinion, we pulled the trigger on JA a little too soon. When you look at his body of work last year as a true freshman with all the other starters in the game, he looked really promising and showed a lot of good things you want to see in your young future QB. I know he was abysmal against Tennessee, but the kid has the tools and talent to be a really good QB! The mistakes he made were between the ears and not because he's physically incapable of playing the position at a high level.

I think if Hawkins struggles early against SC, it wouldn't hurt to give JA another chance. Maybe him sitting the last couple of weeks was a positive for him mentally. Understanding he needs to take what the defense gives him and he doesn't have to try and play hero ball.

As for Hawkins, the kid has great athleticism, but (yes i know true freshman) when his first read isn't there, he takes off out of the pocket and doesn't keep his eyes downfield. I saw Bryan Clinton's post with a breakdown of a few plays from the Texas game, and Hawkins missed some wide open guys because he just isn't experienced enough to read the defense and go through his progressions (maybe Shawchuk scores if he throws it to him). As a true freshman, he relies on his legs and teams now have tape on him and won't allow him to run crazy. Yes he hasn't thrown any interceptions, but he doesn't take ANY chances and has thrown the ball downfield maybe 2-3 times in 2 starts it seems.

I know we're down receivers and the oline play hasn't been ideal, but man I just want us to have the best chance to win.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.