ADVERTISEMENT

Program Comparison: UT 2021 & OU 2022

Levi9842

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2013
I understand this post will immediately draw the ire of several board members simply by its title and the fact that UT is our rival, but my purpose of this thread is to draw some comparisons between the UT program of 2021 and OU 2022. Also I felt it appropriate with the RRR looming this weekend. This is not a troll job lol.

While there are obvious differences in programs such as booster relationships, cultural differences, and fan mentality I would say that there are several similarities too. Most notably (for the purpose of this thread) both programs have a similar endgame in mind with the current move to the SEC. This was not something that was done overnight and both schools have been planning accordingly for a LONG time. The SEC is branded as easily the toughest and roughest conference in America, and neither program in recent memory has been anywhere close to either of those adjectives.

Sark and Venables were brought in with the endgame in mind, not just the immediate success of said coaches first or second season. This is a process with the goal in mind that the programs need a complete culture change to be relevant in the SEC. While the KSU game was frustrating and the TCU game was downright horrendous, I have been trying to keep the endgame in mind and be more mindful of the fact that OU is not just playing for the current season. With this being BV's first season at the helm, let's take a closer look at what UT did in Sark's first season (2021) for those who have forgotten.

UL- W 38-18
Arky- L 21-40
Rice- W 58-0
TT- W 70-35
TCU- W 32-27
OU- L 48-55
OSU- L 24-32
Baylor- L 24-31
ISU- L 7-30
KU- L 56-57
WVU- L 23-31
KSU- W 22-17

Record 5-7 (lost 6 of last 7); Big12 record of 3-6

One thing that immediately jumps out to me from those scores is how poorly UT did in Big12 play. I cannot remember the last time UT got blown out by Iowa State or lost 6 in a row. They were downright piss poor down the stretch and several were calling for Sark's head. Yet, this season they have been a better football team (still lots to work on I get that) and their future is brighter now than it was before.

My point is that OU is dealing with some similarities to the 2021 Texas squad. Both teams have always had a target on their back in conference play, but that has been magnified after they announced their leave to the SEC. Every single Big12 program is resentful of us for leaving and they have shown they are willing to reveal nothing against other teams in order to gain an advantage against OU & Texas even at the cost of losing other games. This should not come as a surprise. UT was vulnerable last year in Sark's 1st season, and OU is arguably even more vulnerable this season in BV's. While last week's game was completely unacceptable, I have been keeping the endgame in mind and realizing that this will not last long and that catastrophizing is simply short sighted.

Anyway I know this will sound like I'm sunshine pumping and not change the minds of many on you, but I think a little more mindfulness is always a good thing and that OU will be whole again before long. Maybe without Ted Roof though :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News