ADVERTISEMENT

Post game

I think OUr best quarterback is the fresh 5 star. If we can slaughter non threat teams, who cares. We need someone who hits the open deep guys, and is strong enough to break or avoid a db's tackle.

DG is who he is, a mostly solid quarterback. If they think it was loud Saturday, wait til we have the ball on the north end of the Cotton Bowl.

And we'll also find out how good the defense is in 2 weeks. I don't believe OUr OLine is ready for prime time yet. They have ten days to be ready to be.
Ultimately, Arnold will be OU's starter, but not this year barring an injury to Gabriel.
But Gabriel is not the problem offensively,
The problems on offense are the diminishing play of Sawchuk and Barnes, an offensive line that needs to improve (both in run blocking and pass protection), the lack of an elite tight end (or using Stogner and Baker more) and Lebby's very questionable play calling. These four reasons dwarf any problems with who's quarterbacking.
This week's game with Iowa State may reveal how far OU has improved from the the play of its first four games.
Right now, I see Texas as a 14-point favorite.

OU needs to use TEs more . Lebby has not so far .
If there were a true method to the supposed madness of hiding our offense this would be my only guess. TE are definitely a non-factor at this point and I agree with you. When DG is under duress he is going to need a safety valve beyond the line-backers to hopefully keep the chains moving.

If there were a true method to the supposed madness of hiding our offense this would be my only guess. TE are definitely a non-factor at this point and I agree with you. When DG is under duress he is going to need a safety valve beyond the line-backers to hopefully keep the chains moving.
Which begs the question why the Oklahoma media does not question Lebby about this and the other issues.

Ultimately, Arnold will be OU's starter, but not this year barring an injury to Gabriel.
But Gabriel is not the problem offensively,
The problems on offense are the diminishing play of Sawchuk and Barnes, an offensive line that needs to improve (both in run blocking and pass protection), the lack of an elite tight end (or using Stogner and Baker more) and Lebby's very questionable play calling. These four reasons dwarf any problems with who's quarterbacking.
This week's game with Iowa State may reveal how far OU has improved from the the play of its first four games.
Right now, I see Texas as a 14-point favorite.
When the play call gives you a wide open deep receiver for a td, and the qb overthrows it by more than 5 yards, that's not on the OC, other than not playing the guy who'd not make that pass. Or fumble the ball, or any of the other details he screwed up badly on Saturday.

People around here always blame the play caller. Players make plays or they don't.

When the play call gives you a wide open deep receiver for a td, and the qb overthrows it by more than 5 yards, that's not on the OC, other than not playing the guy who'd not make that pass. Or fumble the ball, or any of the other details he screwed up badly on Saturday.

People around here always blame the play caller. Players make plays or they don't.
Good post but I do believe that Lebby and his play calling come into play also. Some of his play selections just boggle my mind. If OU doesnt get the running game going it will eventually haunt them.

Gabriel is not a deep passer given his lack of arm strength, nor does he have the corps of receivers this year to compensate for it and a corps that does not feature at least one really great receiver.
Throw in an offensive line that is not to the standards that Hurts, Murray or Mayfield had....a line that does not run or pass block well consistently....and you have an offense that is far removed from those of a CFP team.
The play calling IS part of the problem problem as well and it's very obvious. It magnifies all the other issues I have mentioned.

It's obvious to those who don't really know what they're talking about. I don't love the OC. But we're suffering more from lack of talent and poor execution than from bad play calling. The DC's on other teams are coaches too, who make a good call once in awhile. Players have to make plays. Right now, we don't a running back who makes people miss often enough. And we are lackluster at quarterback. I see lots of quality college quarterbacks who with the kind of space that shows up when the receivers aren't open, and who make drive creating plays.

I'm not talking about against Tulsa or Arkansas state. Or even Cincinnati or SMU. We have two pretty good deep receivers. We have to be able to get them the ball, and right now. that is too infrequent. Let's get back to each other in the open week. After the RRR, we'll have a much better idea about how good we really might be. But everybody in this conference is capable of beating us. Except maybe the Pukes. er Pokes.

It's obvious to those who don't really know what they're talking about. I don't love the OC. But we're suffering more from lack of talent and poor execution than from bad play calling. The DC's on other teams are coaches too, who make a good call once in awhile. Players have to make plays. Right now, we don't a running back who makes people miss often enough. And we are lackluster at quarterback. I see lots of quality college quarterbacks who with the kind of space that shows up when the receivers aren't open, and who make drive creating plays.

I'm not talking about against Tulsa or Arkansas state. Or even Cincinnati or SMU. We have two pretty good deep receivers. We have to be able to get them the ball, and right now. that is too infrequent. Let's get back to each other in the open week. After the RRR, we'll have a much better idea about how good we really might be. But everybody in this conference is capable of beating us. Except maybe the Pukes. er Pokes.
If you hadn’t included “It’s obvious to those who don’t really know what they’re talking about” you would have had a much better post. Why don’t you explain why you think you’re smarter than others. I know you will. Come on Plaino, you’re better than this. If I misinterpreted your message, I will apologize.

Plaino,
I stated that the play calling is part....PART....of the problem, which adds to the problems of OU's lack of talent (or talent that has not played as a unit very long) and therefore hinders the execution by the players.
Try comprehending what I post here for a change, minus the berating of my knowledge and integrity of this team as you seem so intent on doing.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
If you hadn’t included “It’s obvious to those who don’t really know what they’re talking about” you would have had a much better post. Why don’t you explain why you think you’re smarter than others. I know you will. Come on Plaino, you’re better than this. If I misinterpreted your message, I will apologize.
I'm not claiming to be smarter. You and I and anyone else on this site, don't have a clue about the depths of knowledge that the members of the staff have, especially the coordinators. But I'm not the one claiming to know more than the staff. People here, who say the play caller is doing a bad job, unless maybe they're talking about the recent former DC, don't know what they're talking about. I'm just saying that people here, who think they know, do not.

That would include me. I complained about the former DC from the start just on basic football principles. I'll confess that. In his more honest moments, I suspect you could get BV to agree about that.

I know that we started with a big deficit in qb talent. And we're making up that deficit quickly. But before I ever praise our QBi anytime soon, I want to see him play a quality game against a quality defense. Ain't seen it yet.

We keep seeing different RB's week to week because nobody in that room seems to want to separate themselves from the others. BV pretty much said so yesterday when asked that question. So until somebody does we can expect to see 2 backs one week and 2 different ones the next week. Brent said its impossible to use 4 backs in one game.
We also don't have a standout Reciever at the moment. We have had some shine against lesser opponents but against tougher competition they are absent. Drake Stoops is not the answer on the jet sweeps, he isn't big enough or fast enough to make guys miss for any Yards after catch, scrap that crap Lebby.
As much as we want to think this team is light years ahead of last year they do seem to be improved so far, bigger tests await. Lehman said after the Cincy game if our D plays like they did last Saturday OU will win every game. He then walked it back a little but come on man, that was Cincy. A team I feel will finish in the bottom half of the Big 12 this year.

Anyway, fans need to remain patient, the mess TBOW left will not be magically fixed in one yr. It will likely be 2 to 3 more yrs before we see any real improvement vs tougher competition with the SEC looming.

Not sure about Lebby being the guy as OC to get us there. So many headscratchers to say just yet.

Same goes for Roof, who really is the DC this season? BV or Roof. BV did say he has been more involved with the defense this season and so far it shows.
Bill B needs to get back to producing a quality O line or I am gonna say OU needs to move on. Again we will see how it goes.
A lot of questions will be answered soon enough, good and bad I predict.
I think I predicted a 3 loss season before the season started, I stand by that today and while its not the Standard I expect it is a more realistic expectation after everything that happened in only yr 2. I am as impatient as are a lot of fans but we have to slow it down a bit and just be patient, we will get there and most likely it won't happen this season but its trending up.

We keep seeing different RB's week to week because nobody in that room seems to want to separate themselves from the others. BV pretty much said so yesterday when asked that question. So until somebody does we can expect to see 2 backs one week and 2 different ones the next week. Brent said its impossible to use 4 backs in one game.
We also don't have a standout Reciever at the moment. We have had some shine against lesser opponents but against tougher competition they are absent. Drake Stoops is not the answer on the jet sweeps, he isn't big enough or fast enough to make guys miss for any Yards after catch, scrap that crap Lebby.
As much as we want to think this team is light years ahead of last year they do seem to be improved so far, bigger tests await. Lehman said after the Cincy game if our D plays like they did last Saturday OU will win every game. He then walked it back a little but come on man, that was Cincy. A team I feel will finish in the bottom half of the Big 12 this year.

Anyway, fans need to remain patient, the mess TBOW left will not be magically fixed in one yr. It will likely be 2 to 3 more yrs before we see any real improvement vs tougher competition with the SEC looming.

Not sure about Lebby being the guy as OC to get us there. So many headscratchers to say just yet.

Same goes for Roof, who really is the DC this season? BV or Roof. BV did say he has been more involved with the defense this season and so far it shows.
Bill B needs to get back to producing a quality O line or I am gonna say OU needs to move on. Again we will see how it goes.
I think I predicted a 3 loss season before the season started, I stand by that today and while its not the Standard I expect it is a more realistic expectation after everything that happened in only yr 2. I am as impatient as are a lot of fans but we have to slow it down a bit and just be patient, we will get there and most likely it won't happen this season but its trending up.
Good post, 67.
Especially as it relates to fans needing to be patient as Venables rebuilds the program from the ashes of Riley's exit.
I felt as Venables took over, it was at least a three year task for him to bring the program back. Right now, I believe he is right on schedule.... even with the ups and downs along the way. And the recruiting has far exceeded anything I could have hoped for.
I saw signs during the 2021 season (Riley's last year) of what I thought was a team not well coached or motivated, even in winning ten games. Caleb Williams was the main reason for those ten wins.
So what BV inherited was a team diminished by poaching, transfers and early exits.... and motivation. Clearly he has "stopped the bleeding".
The Texas game will go a long way in seeing how far along the rebuilding effort is going. Even a close, competitive game, in my opinion, will be a positive indication of Venables' work.

A high quality post.

Opinions are like assholes.

Lebby is not solely to blame but he is the OC and the finger is and should be pointed his way for much of our short comings offensively. The players need to execute and the OC needs to put them in good positions to succeed, as well play complimentary football.

And a Sooner fan on a message board shouldn't be the measuring stick for Lebby's brilliance.

Lebby is not solely to blame but he is the OC and the finger is and should be pointed his way for much of our short comings offensively. The players need to execute and the OC needs to put them in good positions to succeed, as well play complimentary football.

And a Sooner fan on a message board shouldn't be the measuring stick for Lebby's brilliance.
What it take Bob? Two years before he owned the B12 for 20 years? Different game today with NIL and transfers. I think Brents got the right set.

At the end of the day we are all Sooner Fans here and everyone makes good points. We all have one main thing in common here, we all want OU to be their very best and do well and succeed. I appreciate everyone thats posts their thoughts here, we may not always agree but hey thats life. Not too many of us old guys and gals are around here any longer, just glad to see the ones that are and are still posting. Lets enjoy the Season, will be over before you know it. 😊

I get that but what about the times the defense stacks the box and Gabriel doesn't check out and we run the ball? Is it Gabriel or does he not have a backup call? Lebby needs to take a page from his father in-law and call those dink and dunk pass plays, that work for an average arm, average Oline

Reactions: iasooner2000
Oline has given up 3 sacks in 4 games. Oline is playing well. Last week in the first half Lebby trying to run to many counter/misdirection plays, and the Oline is not built for that. When he started running right at the defense we started to see success, thats what this Oline is good at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT