ADVERTISEMENT

Post game

I expect more games like this one. Tough, close games not only by OU but across the Big 12 season.
This team now depends on its defense and its offense is a work-in-process, especially with the offense line which is currently hindering the running game.
Regardless, this was a good win and a good "gut check".
We got the goods on defense ct.

Great defensive game, obviously. Stutsman is fantastic. Key Lawrence is quietly having a great year. The 5 Stars, Bowen and PJ, both looking very good. I think the secondary did really good today, no drive breaking busts.

Offense, the Line did pretty well, especially going against a very good DLine. The run game started slow, but it got better, as they wore them down.

DG I thought had a up down game. He played well for the most part, but he did miss some TDs throws, a tough turnover near the goal line. Definitely left 10-14 points out there. His receivers did have some drops, and DG made some good solid runs. And a lot of either bogus flags or no calls against OU.

Cincinnati wasn't a pushover going in, they played well themselves on Defense. But, OU was able to overcome a hostile crowd, and shitty Ref calls to win by 2 scores. If the defense plays at this level all season? OU is definitely playing in the Big 12 Championship game.

Great defensive game, obviously. Stutsman is fantastic. Key Lawrence is quietly having a great year. The 5 Stars, Bowen and PJ, both looking very good. I think the secondary did really good today, no drive breaking busts.

Offense, the Line did pretty well, especially going against a very good DLine. The run game started slow, but it got better, as they wore them down.

DG I thought had a up down game. He played well for the most part, but he did miss some TDs throws, a tough turnover near the goal line. Definitely left 10-14 points out there. His receivers did have some drops, and DG made some good solid runs. And a lot of either bogus flags or no calls against OU.

Cincinnati wasn't a pushover going in, they played well themselves on Defense. But, OU was able to overcome a hostile crowd, and shitty Ref calls to win by 2 scores. If the defense plays at this level all season? OU is definitely playing in the Big 12 Championship game.
Dillon was off obviously. OUr oline has to get it together for OUr running game. I like where we're headed.

It's coming together my man.

Cincinnati is a decent team that a lot of people took lightly because they were upset at home last week by Miami (Ohio). However, that was only the third time they've lost at home in the last five years, so it's not an easy place to come away with a win.

For everyone that's complaining about the Offense. When is the last time before this season, that the Offense struggled and OU still won by 2 TDs? Didn't play their best and still win by 2 scores, on the road, in a hostile environment, and the Refs not giving you any 50/50 stuff.

If the OLine can figure it out? OU will have a special season.

For everyone that's complaining about the Offense. When is the last time before this season, that the Offense struggled and OU still won by 2 TDs? Didn't play their best and still win by 2 scores, on the road, in a hostile environment, and the Refs not giving you any 50/50 stuff.

Oline needs work obviously as we barely managed a hundred on the ground. Defensive backfield was suffocating. Only a matter of time when OUr dline wreaks havoc. Only a matter of time. Great win today.

BOOMER!

Tapping my brakes. Good road win today but lots to work on, lots of ball left to be played.

512%20final%20philips%20brake_zpszaqfws58%20(1).gif

More times than I care to remember. We have been known to play down to opponents over the years.
Saw LSU take Arkie lightly this evening and Brian Kelly said he was afraid his team would.
And how the heck did we let Arkie get that TE Luke Hasz from Bixby? He had a great game as a Freshman tonight. But seeing how Lebby doesn't really use the TE's its no surprise.

Reactions: iasooner2000
People in college football media are truly mind numbing. OU sucks because they beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs, but USC is a great team, because they beat ASU by 2 TDs? Not saying OU is winning the Natty playing like they did, but OU isn't bad.

Oline needs work obviously as we barely managed a hundred on the ground. Defensive backfield was suffocating. Only a matter of time when OUr dline wreaks havoc. Only a matter of time. Great win today.

BOOMER!
I'm not sure about that. I think the oline played to what they were coached. In the third quarter when Oklahoma decided to run and stopped pulling guards and playing gimmick football, the oline started dominating their man, 1:1. Maybe it's time for Lenny to realize they've recruited guys to play 1:1 football and not that cute stuff.

People in college football media are truly mind numbing. OU sucks because they beat Cincinnati by 2 TDs, but USC is a great team, because they beat ASU by 2 TDs? Not saying OU is winning the Natty playing like they did, but OU isn't bad.
PAC 12 is getting all the love right now. OU really hasn't beat anyone yet. 2 toughest opps and not enough style points, actually struggled offensively with both honestly. Most issues can be fixed, we have seen what they can do when allowed to. Maybe Leb is keeping it as vanilla as he can until he cannot any longer. Tougher teams await. We will see soon enough just how good we really are or aren't.

I heard the predicted fan-response on OKC sports talk this past week...
If OU loses to Cinci, then OU isn't that good.
If OU beats Cinci, then Cinci isn't that good.

That's just the way it is in college football. I'll tell you this... if Alex Grinch was still our DC, OU would have lost in Cincinnati yesterday, no less than 27-20 and likely far worse than that.

We've got a really solid defense to do what they did yesterday, keeping Cinci out of the end zone. Our guys really know their assignments, and they execute. Stutsman is on his way to being an all-time Sooner great. Late in the 4th quarter, he was out their playing as refreshed as if he just started the game.

Not taking anything away from the Bearcats. They have a pretty good defense. Winning 20-6 was a good outcome.

Last edited:
Louisville had similar results vs Cinci and so far Louisville is still unbeaten but Louisville hasn't really played anyone yet either.
I thought the same thing about Grinch and TBOW after seeing their game last night. We likely would have lost to SMU and Cinci with the Taco Tech style of play. I am not dogging on OU as much as I am not gonna sip the Kool-Aid just yet. We seem to be improved but as the old saying goes, Fool me a hundred times shame on you, Fool me again shame on me. Not how it really goes, just my version.

I’ll just say this. If we play Texas like we played Cincinnati yesterday, Texas wins easily. Our offense has to play the Longhorns much, much better. Defense gives us a chance but it cannot make up for an up and down offensive attack. That’s mostly on Lebby, IMO. And if the refs really are calling the games based on us leaving the B12 (and I don’t believe they are) then we’ll be playing the perfect team. So no excuses. Best thing I learned yesterday is Brent has obviously taken over the defensive calls. Thank God.

I’ll just say this. If we play Texas like we played Cincinnati yesterday, Texas wins easily. Our offense has to play the Longhorns much, much better. Defense gives us a chance but it cannot make up for an up and down offensive attack. That’s mostly on Lebby, IMO. And if the refs really are calling the games based on us leaving the B12 (and I don’t believe they are) then we’ll be playing the perfect team. So no excuses. Best thing I learned yesterday is Brent has obviously taken over the defensive calls. Thank God.
Great post, Bama.
Line play both ways is the key to beating Texas. The Horns have a veteran OL and OU’s OL is still developing.
OU still isn’t applying pressure on the QB and Ewers is an excellent passer and runner. If he’s given time, Ewers can rip OU’s defense to shreds.
Whatever is going on with Barnes and Sawchuk needs to be resolved now. Walker and Major are not as talented.
Lebby needs to get his act together and Venables HAS to be aware of this. The gimmicky plays on short yardage situations are ridiculous.

Great post, Bama.
Line play both ways is the key to beating Texas. The Horns have a veteran OL and OU’s OL is still developing.
OU still isn’t applying pressure on the QB and Ewers is an excellent passer and runner. If he’s given time, Ewers can rip OU’s defense to shreds.
Whatever is going on with Barnes and Sawchuk needs to be resolved now. Walker and Major are not as talented.
Lebby needs to get his act together and Venables HAS to be aware of this. The gimmicky plays on short yardage situations are ridiculous.
I won't be surprised to see Brent hire two new coordinators after the season. Roof may hang on as position coach, but Lebby needs to go. I don't see him changing his offensive strategy. Better yet, Brent, please take over the DC duties for all the world to see.

I’ll just say this. If we play Texas like we played Cincinnati yesterday, Texas wins easily.

Not necessarily. Baylor is the worst team in the Big 12 right now, so I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Texas blew them out. Also, Cincinnati had only lost three home games in the last five years, so they're a much tougher out at home.

The defense is vastly improved. The Oline with Freshman Green is getting better and will develop with more snaps. Depth is the main issue. The best OU offense have an active HB/TE and Lebby needs to watch those teams films.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
More times than I care to remember. We have been known to play down to opponents over the years.
Saw LSU take Arkie lightly this evening and Brian Kelly said he was afraid his team would.
And how the heck did we let Arkie get that TE Luke Hasz from Bixby? He had a great game as a Freshman tonight. But seeing how Lebby doesn't really use the TE's its no surprise.
67, I was talking to a friend of mine during the Hog-LSU game and we talked about that. Hasz is a ball player and my friend who is a Hog fan said they also signed his brother. I know he was highly recruited and I guess maybe he knew he would be used more at Arkansas than OU. I think he was like the #2 TE in Oklahoma.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I won't be surprised to see Brent hire two new coordinators after the season. Roof may hang on as position coach, but Lebby needs to go. I don't see him changing his offensive strategy. Better yet, Brent, please take over the DC duties for all the world to see.
Lebby needs more feel for the game . Not using Farouq and co fully , nor the TE .
his stubbornness can backfire against texas as we have seen last year . Sticking with Beville was so idiotic as well.

Lebby needs more feel for the game . Not using Farouq and co fully , nor the TE .
his stubbornness can backfire against texas as we have seen last year . Sticking with Beville was so idiotic as well.
What other option was there last year vs Texas after Gabriel was not available? Remember too, that OU lost two highly rated QB's after Riley left.
The 49-0 score was all about OU playing Beville....in other words, playing without a quarterback... as it was OU's piss-poor defense,

What other option was there last year vs Texas after Gabriel was not available? Remember too, that OU lost two highly rated QB's after Riley left.
The 49-0 score was all about OU playing Beville....in other words, playing without a quarterback... as it was OU's piss-poor defense,
Yes well noted , the defense was porous and got tired , but on offense booty was there , or the other backup who left . The play calling was also suspect . The point is , lebby gets too stubborn at times .

67, I was talking to a friend of mine during the Hog-LSU game and we talked about that. Hasz is a ball player and my friend who is a Hog fan said they also signed his brother. I know he was highly recruited and I guess maybe he knew he would be used more at Arkansas than OU. I think he was like the #2 TE in Oklahoma.

OU needs to use TEs more . Lebby has not so far .

Reactions: ShamWowed
Yes well noted , the defense was porous and got tired , but on offense booty was there , or the other backup who left . The play calling was also suspect . The point is , lebby gets too stubborn at times .
OU had NO backups against Texas.... just three bodies. Beville had game experience at Pitt, but he was not an option either.
Texas had the better team and would probably have won the game, but Gabriel would have made it more respectable and would have put some points on the board.

OU had NO backups against Texas.... just three bodies. Beville had game experience at Pitt, but he was not an option either.
Texas had the better team and would probably have won the game, but Gabriel would have made it more respectable and would have put some points on the board.
10/7 my man.

Booty had an allergic reaction to his contact solution & couldn’t see. Beville was the only ‘ship QB left.

I think people are underestimating OU's schedule to much. Other than Texas, Kansas, BYU, UCF, can all easily be loses, if the Offense can't get their shit together. I know OSU looks awful, but they usually play OU tough, regardless.

I don't understand where the problem is with the run game? According to Gabe Ikard, who is always hard on the OLine, said they all played good. I feel like it's a combination of scheme, and that Major is OK. Watching the game back, Major had a chance to house a couple of runs, if he doesn't make a bad decision to cut, or can't beat a 1v1. If for whatever reason Barnes and Sawchuck just don't have it this season? You have to give Hicks and Smothers a serious chance.

And, DG did not play well in this game, despite his stats, he left at least 14-17 points out there. Throwing into triple coverage, throwing behind, under and over thrown. Even that big pass to Anthony was under thrown, Anthony had several steps on his defender.

The run game has to become a factor, if it doesn't? And OU has to rely on DG for the majority of the Offense? OU is a 8 win team this season.

And, the jet sweeps need to be buried along with Bell dozer.

Reactions: CTOkie and Oklabama
I think people are underestimating OU's schedule to much. Other than Texas, Kansas, BYU, UCF, can all easily be loses, if the Offense can't get their shit together. I know OSU looks awful, but they usually play OU tough, regardless.

I don't understand where the problem is with the run game? According to Gabe Ikard, who is always hard on the OLine, said they all played good. I feel like it's a combination of scheme, and that Major is OK. Watching the game back, Major had a chance to house a couple of runs, if he doesn't make a bad decision to cut, or can't beat a 1v1. If for whatever reason Barnes and Sawchuck just don't have it this season? You have to give Hicks and Smothers a serious chance.

And, DG did not play well in this game, despite his stats, he left at least 14-17 points out there. Throwing into triple coverage, throwing behind, under and over thrown. Even that big pass to Anthony was under thrown, Anthony had several steps on his defender.

The run game has to become a factor, if it doesn't? And OU has to rely on DG for the majority of the Offense? OU is a 8 win team this season.

And, the jet sweeps need to be buried along with Bell dozer.
Agree.
And right now, OU does not match up well vs Texas for all the reasons you mentioned.
OU needs to more concerned with improving and playing well and not focusing too much on getting revenge against Texas.

Agree.
And right now, OU does not match up well vs Texas for all the reasons you mentioned.
OU needs to more concerned with improving and playing well and not focusing too much on getting revenge against Texas.
IMO, the defense will provide a more consistent unit than the offense. So I think the win-loss record will depend largely on how many games that the offense shows up. The offense is very capable when it’s on but there still seems to be something missing from game to game. Either DG is off like he was Saturday or Lebby calls a bad game as examples. You just never know what offense is going to show up. When it does we are very good.

Reactions: Soonerborn59

I think OUr best quarterback is the fresh 5 star. If we can slaughter non threat teams, who cares. We need someone who hits the open deep guys, and is strong enough to break or avoid a db's tackle.

DG is who he is, a mostly solid quarterback. If they think it was loud Saturday, wait til we have the ball on the north end of the Cotton Bowl.

And we'll also find out how good the defense is in 2 weeks. I don't believe OUr OLine is ready for prime time yet. They have ten days to be ready to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT