ADVERTISEMENT

play-offs

sooner_mike

Sooner starter
May 6, 2004
If ND, Ohio State, Iowa don't lose. Ou will not get in. Or at least that's the way it looks. Assuming OU wins out (i believe they will) the big 12 will not have a team in the playoffs.

Personally if ND doesn't play in a conference they shouldn't even be in the mix period. But they will always get the love.

I don't believe ND will be on the train.
OU finishes big if they win all.

But won't Iowa have to play Ohio state in the BIG championship game?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Most likely, Ohio State and Iowa will meet in the B1G Championship, so one of them will lose.

I think final four will be an undefeated Clemson, one-loss Bama, undefeated tOSU (or Iowa) and a one-loss Notre Dame. If the Pokes win out, they'll bump Notre Dame. If OU wins out, they'll get bumped by Notre Dame.

My guess is that if OU wins out, they will play the #2 Pac 12 team in the Fiesta (Utah?) or the loser of the B1G Championship game (Iowa?) in the Orange Bowl.

Reactions: Soonerborn59

Actually I think tOSU will lose to both Michigan and Michigan State. With Michigan State playing Iowa in the Championship game and MSU winning that.

Per the punk chairman and arkie athletic director jeff long said last year that a team from a conference without a CCG will not be looked at as hard as those that do. They overhype these sec teams so a one loss sec team will make it regardless. Look at how many sec teams were ranked early in the season and they have dropped like flies but you will still hear the talking heads say how good aTm is, how good a team miss st is, how good lsu is, how good ole miss is etc, look at the schedules of some of those teams bama has beaten lately, lsu's schedule and miss st schedule made me laugh today. Now we are hearing how good arkie is since they have beaten ole miss and lsu in consecutive weeks. It never ends. Until the big 12 has a CCG or the playoff expands to 8 teams then the big 12 will be left out.

Saw this earlier,
CUCz6NRWoAQVJKm.jpg

Per the punk chairman and arkie athletic director jeff long said last year that a team from a conference without a CCG will not be looked at as hard as those that do. They overhype these sec teams so a one loss sec team will make it regardless. Look at how many sec teams were ranked early in the season and they have dropped like flies but you will still hear the talking heads say how good aTm is, how good a team miss st is, how good lsu is, how good ole miss is etc, look at the schedules of some of those teams bama has beaten lately, lsu's schedule and miss st schedule made me laugh today. Now we are hearing how good arkie is since they have beaten ole miss and lsu in consecutive weeks. It never ends. Until the big 12 has a CCG or the playoff expands to 8 teams then the big 12 will be left out.

Well with that logic, why is ND in the mix?

Well with that logic, why is ND in the mix?
Good question, perhaps just to keep a big 12 team out. Its no secret jeff's hc hates the style of play in the big 12 and he defends his coach when he has mouthed off about it. Personally I think jeff long does not like the big 12 either.

I too am admittedly as danged biased about this thing as Bob Stoops when he brilliantly pointed out IF OU beat two top ten teams and a top 15 team, (TCU) three weeks in a row, this time of the year, two of which were on the road...how could you not consider that team as part of the final four?

It'd be darn near criminal if you didn't.

5Notre Dame
Fighting Irish(9-1)
Scores & Schedule
9/5 vs Texas W 3 - 38
9/12 @ Virginia W 34 - 27
9/19 vs Georgia Tech W 22 - 30
9/26 vs Massachusetts W 27 - 62
10/3 @ Clemson L 22 - 24
10/10 vs Navy W 24 - 41
10/17 vs USC W 31 - 41
10/31 @ Temple W 24 - 20
11/7 @ Pittsburgh W 42 - 30

What a gauntlet ND has had to endure so far!

Reactions: iasooner1
As bad as I hate saying it, the only big 12 team that can make it is the pokes going undefeated. OU will get screwed by this joke of a committee. It's seems they are doing whatever they can to punish the big 12 for not having a championship game at the end of the season, and it seems the brass at the big 12 office is going to continue to bend over and take it in the ass. There has to be a better way, is it an 8 team playoff? All conference champs playoff? I don't know, but I do know that as long as humans are involved there will be bias, how can there not be!?

5Notre Dame
Fighting Irish(9-1)
Scores & Schedule
9/5 vs Texas W 3 - 38
9/12 @ Virginia W 34 - 27
9/19 vs Georgia Tech W 22 - 30
9/26 vs Massachusetts W 27 - 62
10/3 @ Clemson L 22 - 24
10/10 vs Navy W 24 - 41
10/17 vs USC W 31 - 41
10/31 @ Temple W 24 - 20
11/7 @ Pittsburgh W 42 - 30

What a gauntlet ND has had to endure so far!

I know, right?

That's just almost as weak as the Iowa faux Hawks schedule...plum pitiful.:eek:

May be just as well right now, keep the fire in the bellies of the team and staff. Just keep winning and hope for the best. Will need some help for sure but I for one did not expect OU to be in this position after the loss to the whorns and its great! Just enjoying the ride for now.

May be just as well right now, keep the fire in the bellies of the team and staff. Just keep winning and hope for the best. Will need some help for sure but I for one did not expect OU to be in this position after the loss to the whorns and its great! Just enjoying the ride for now.

Yep, it's out of our hands as they say.

To invoke a great line from 'Tin Cup'..."Got to ride the bull until he bucks us".:rolleyes:

If ND, Ohio State, Iowa don't lose. Ou will not get in. Or at least that's the way it looks. Assuming OU wins out (i believe they will) the big 12 will not have a team in the playoffs.

Personally if ND doesn't play in a conference they shouldn't even be in the mix period. But they will always get the love.

Strongly disagree. Finishing with wins against 2 top 5 and a top 15 team, a Heisman candidate at QB, and a chance for the nation to see in Primetime that they are one of the best teams in the country, will do it. Will be surprised if one or two of the current top 4 don't lose though, so it won't matter.

Has anyone heard about the Nebraska Q-B in trouble? Iowa has NU this week.

iowa has another pillow fight with the boilermakers, then debby for the legends game or corn bowl, what have you... then they play the winner from the real b1g for their shot @ the big dance. There is zero shot @ 2 going from that conference.

I too am admittedly as danged biased about this thing as Bob Stoops when he brilliantly pointed out IF OU beat two top ten teams and a top 15 team, (TCU) three weeks in a row, this time of the year, two of which were on the road...how could you not consider that team as part of the final four?

It'd be darn near criminal if you didn't.

Fitty the best part of the whole interview was when he took a shot at ESPN adding "'and you know we do have a win over that SEC team" I admit I chuckled out loud when he said that.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Unless one of the top 4 lose, I just see it as a longshot and huge dice roll for OU to get in even with winning out. The only team up there they could pass if everyone wins out is ND. And the amount of love ND gets from the media just makes it unlikely. It's why I completely hate ND. Stupid ass gold domers. If that program shows even the slightest signs of life, the media will run over themselves to run them up the rankings. It's just ridiculous.

As much as I want them to lose to OU can jump them, it would be even more satisfying if ND won out, and OU jumped their asses. Good lord the amount of ND butt hurt would be the greatest outcome ever!!! lol

What conference title did ND win? I thought they rewarded league titles? They must really think the Big 12 is a WEAK!!! Didn't ND lose to Clemson and not undefeated, but will stay above a Power 5 league champ with same record. If OU left out, there will be **** to pay.

Last edited:
Unless one of the top 4 lose, I just see it as a longshot and huge dice roll for OU to get in even with winning out. The only team up there they could pass if everyone wins out is ND. And the amount of love ND gets from the media just makes it unlikely. It's why I completely hate ND. Stupid ass gold domers. If that program shows even the slightest signs of life, the media will run over themselves to run them up the rankings. It's just ridiculous.

As much as I want them to lose to OU can jump them, it would be even more satisfying if ND won out, and OU jumped their asses. Good lord the amount of ND butt hurt would be the greatest outcome ever!!! lol

See, right there, that is the fundamental difference between you and your amigos and the rest of us.

You're saying it will be nothing short of a miracle that OU advances to the final four, and the rest of us maintain that by virtue of us being OU, we'll get that miracle.

We've seen it for years.
The primary reason you guys do that is so you can have your moment when you invariably gloat..."I told you so".

There is one other constant, when OU does do well, you are always allowed to regale in their success'.

We'd never take that away from you.

We will be fine if we win out. I think Stanford will beat the domers, and either Iowa or Ohio State will finish with one loss. I still think that there should be 8 teams in the playoff.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
See, right there, that is the fundamental difference between you and your amigos and the rest of us.

You're saying it will be nothing short of a miracle that OU advances to the final four, and the rest of us maintain that by virtue of us being OU, we'll get that miracle

We've seen it for years.
The primary reason you guys do that is so you can have your moment when you invariably gloat..."I told you so".

There is one other constant, when OU does do well, you are always allowed to regale in their success'

We'd never take that away from you.
Are you seriously trying to derail this thread with such a petty and childish assessment of my post?? Read it for what is says, NOT for what you THINK it says. The entire premise behind your post above is that you seem to think I should have the same outlook on how the top 4 will play out as you do.

Now in case you didn't notice, a couple of posters "liked" my post you seem to have an issue with. So...are those the people you are calling "your amigos"??

Are you seriously trying to derail this thread with such a petty and childish assessment of my post?? Read it for what is says, NOT for what you THINK it says. The entire premise behind your post above is that you seem to think I should have the same outlook on how the top 4 will play out as you do.

Now in case you didn't notice, a couple of posters "liked" my post you seem to have an issue with. So...are those the people you are calling "your amigos"??

Oh boo hoo, cry me a river.

Reactions: Plainosooner
If we had an eight-team playoff, none of us would be unhappy or even intimidated about our chances against the bottom 6 or 7 teams.

Expand the playoffs already, NCAA.

Reactions: runningback43
If we had an eight-team playoff, none of us would be unhappy or even intimidated about our chances against the bottom 6 or 7 teams.

Expand the playoffs already, NCAA.

The Tulsa World "Picker" had a great comment on the playoff last week. Basically said expand to 8 teams...nobody cares if #9 got screwed. I agree.

Also, keep in mind. It took a LONG time to get to a BCS Champ Game (2-team playoff). With much controversy, It didn't take nearly as long to get to a 4-team playoff. We've already had controversy in the first year and likely another one this year so...shouldn't take long to have an 8-team playoff.

The one obstacle would be removing a game from everyone's schedule. That would be either a non-conference game, which would meet resistance by the 12-team conferences that play more conference games, OR eliminating the conference Championship games. Interesting. Maybe the B12 wigs do have a little vision. ;)

Reasons why ND is at four:
- They are 9-1 with their worst loss against the number one team by two points.
- They have the toughest SOS of the top six teams
- They are 2-1 vs. top 25 opponents
- Overcome seven starters out for the year

The Big 12 teams in the mix have a combined total of three wins vs. FBS teams with a 7+ wins. OU (1), Baylor (1), Oklahoma State (1), TCU (0). Notre Dame has four wins alone -- they also dismantled Texas.

This has nothing to do with "media bias" it is pretty clear when stating the facts, why ND is at four. If any team is in the top four because of their "brand" it's OSU at the moment. Iowa has a better argument than OSU at the moment.

This isn't rocket science. Oklahoma schedule is fairly weak, besides beating a Baylor team without their starting QB.

The Big 12 tried to back load their schedule and it is backfiring, because key injuries happen as the year goes along. Oklahoma State's schedule is a complete joke and so is Baylor's.

Saying there is a media love fest for ND is a cop out for not doing your homework. The stats don't lie. It's maddening people even try to argue otherwise. You put the other schools numbers besides ND's schedule without the names and 99% of the time ND would get picked. Because it really is that clear. Despite upset opposing fans trying to argue otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhyNotaSooner

Yeah, ND always gets the love. One you couldn't prove where, "ND always gets the love." Your probable response is something like, "Well in 2012, Alabama kicked your ass." Hey, well good try, BCS put ND in the National Championship.

It's funny people bring up independence, yet never mention the other schools. Oh, yeah, dude you guys don't have have a conference championship either. You're basically.....wait for it, independent!

Use. Common. Sense.

Reasons why ND is at four:
- They are 9-1 with their worst loss against the number one team by two points.
- They have the toughest SOS of the top six teams
- They are 2-1 vs. top 25 opponents
- Overcome seven starters out for the year

The Big 12 teams in the mix have a combined total of three wins vs. FBS teams with a 7+ wins. OU (1), Baylor (1), Oklahoma State (1), TCU (0). Notre Dame has four wins alone -- they also dismantled Texas.

This has nothing to do with "media bias" it is pretty clear when stating the facts, why ND is at four. If any team is in the top four because of their "brand" it's OSU at the moment. Iowa has a better argument than OSU at the moment.

This isn't rocket science. Oklahoma schedule is fairly weak, besides beating a Baylor team without their starting QB.

The Big 12 tried to back load their schedule and it is backfiring, because key injuries happen as the year goes along. Oklahoma State's schedule is a complete joke and so is Baylor's.

Saying there is a media love fest for ND is a cop out for not doing your homework. The stats don't lie. It's maddening people even try to argue otherwise. You put the other schools numbers besides ND's schedule without the names and 99% of the time ND would get picked. Because it really is that clear. Despite upset opposing fans trying to argue otherwise.

Personally, I agree ND is "deserving" of a top 4 spot...now. That will change if OU or Okla St. win out. Too many people read too much into the "current" rankings because just like the NCAA Bball Committee, they use computer rankings and SOS as significant factors in the process. SOS doesn't really mean much until ALL the games have been played. Regardless, you can assume there will be more controversy this year most likely, which will help speed the process of expanding to an 8-team playoff.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT