ADVERTISEMENT

OU will host Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee in 2024

It's a tough schedule, no doubt.

Georgia probably has the most brutal schedule with four road games: at Alabama, at Texas, at Ole Miss, at Kentucky. Three home games: against Tennessee, Auburn and Mississippi State. Neutral site: Florida.

Hopefully the measuring stick won't hit us in the head.

On a positive, we will know if we have the right coach.
We won’t know if we have the right coach until 2025 as Venables has to recruit at a consistently higher level. He’s off to a good start in his first two seasons but his third snd fourth class must be at least equal to his first two.
Biggest recruiting priority is building a championship defense. Until that happens, OU will just remain an “also ran”.

We won’t know if we have the right coach until 2025 as Venables has to recruit at a consistently higher level. He’s off to a good start in his first two seasons but his third snd fourth class must be at least equal to his first two.
Biggest recruiting priority is building a championship defense. Until that happens, OU will just remain an “also ran”.
I stand corrected. Most people will know in 2024 if we have the right coach but I guess you won't.

It's a tough schedule, no doubt.

Georgia probably has the most brutal schedule with four road games: at Alabama, at Texas, at Ole Miss, at Kentucky. Three home games: against Tennessee, Auburn and Mississippi State. Neutral site: Florida.
Idk, I’d take that over our schedule. We play 3/4 top teams and Georgia only plays 2/4 of them. Both our games against Texas are still road games for all intents and purposes also.

Both our games against Texas are still road games for all intents and purposes also.

As is Georgia's annual supposedly "neutral" site game in Jacksonville, FL. And that one isn't even close to being equidistant from the two campuses. It's about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Athens, GA to Jacksonville, while only 70 miles from UF's campus.

Three of Georgia's true road games will be against ranked opponents, Alabama, Texas and Ole Miss. They get Tennessee (who will also be ranked) at home.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Most people will know in 2024 if we have the right coach but I guess you won't.
Reacting to our first year in the SEC shouldn’t be drastic. We will face a bunch of new teams we have never schemed for before as a team. How we do in 2025 will also not be an accurate reflection since we will again play all new teams. Weirdly enough, I won’t know if we have the right coach until 2026 when we see how BV does facing the 2024 teams again.

Before last season I thought Venables faced a three year process in restoring OU’s fortunes.
I still do.
Too many look at the 6-7 record and ignore all the upheaval that Riley created.
And this had been laid at Venables’ feet on the eve of OU entering the best conference in CFB.
Venables is likely to put a better product on the field within the next two years but it may still not bring teams with championship worthiness. But after two years, OU should be a CFB contender if Venables continues to recruit well and distance his team away from the Texas Tech culture.

Before last season I thought Venables faced a three year process in restoring OU’s fortunes.
I still do.
And this had been laid at Venables’ feet on the eve of OU entering the best conference in CFB.
Venables is likely to put a better product on the field within the next two years but it may still not bring teams with championship worthiness. But after two years, OU should be a CFB contender if Venables continues to recruit well and distance his team away from the Texas Tech culture.
Git ready fer '23 ct you blue moon sumbitch. 😉

That 6-7 record is very deceiving taken at face value. With the exception of the Texas and TCU games, one play in each of those five other losses could have flipped them into wins. It's kind of like being on the wrong side of a coin-flip five out of five times.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
That 6-7 record is very deceiving taken at face value. With the exception of the Texas and TCU games, one play in each of those five other losses could have flipped them into wins. It's kind of like being on the wrong side of a coin-flip five out of five times.
You had to go and mention the Wronghorn fiasco! OU is going to give Tesux a ass whooping almost always!

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
2024 going to be fun, several ex-coaches make their return to Norman and also get to see Rattler one more time in person.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Isn’t Rattler a redshirt Senior this year?

Yes, this is his final year of eligibility. Of course, there is the Shane Beamer connection as he returns to Owen Field.

Then, there's Josh Heupel at Tennessee making his first return to Norman since being fired by Bob Stoops back in 2015. Venables was the co-defensive coordinator when OU won the national championship with Heupel at quarterback in 2000. I'm not sure how much of a relationship Heupel had with Venables back then (if any) or whether they've kept in touch over the years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT