ADVERTISEMENT

OU vs OSU Bedlam Game thread

The only good thing that happened today was Ohio St lost and Bama should have also.

The game tonight was frustrating for sure. Seeing OU lose didn’t piss me off but its the one sided officiating that was very obvious. I do think OSU is the better team this year but overall the season has been a mess.

Hopefully OU can win its Bowl Game and close out the season on a good note.

what about Rattler he didnt improve under Riley this year.

It's a fair point, but it could have been a lot of different things that led to Rattler not taking the next step. A weaker offensive line for example.

Let's see what kind of progress CW makes from year one to year two, and let's give Grinch another year to re-tool the defense.

I'll wager that we win the Big XII tile again next year, and make a strong challenge for a CFP spot.

I am probably the only poster here that said Rattler was all hype. I still believe that.
Caleb didn't play his last yr in HS and then was thrown to the wolves during the texass game and pulled out the win, he has potential and talent but needs more time before we see what he can really do.
I have also heard Ole Miss might go after Rattler if he enters the TP. Corral at OM will likely leave and opt out of their Bowl Game.
If Riley goes to lsu would he want Rattler to transfer and be his QB?
there is NO CHANCE Riley is going to lsu

The o-line this year was probably the biggest disappointment! They really didn't perform at the level of even Kansas!

Reactions: CTOkie
The only good thing that happened today was Ohio St lost and Bama should have also.

The game tonight was frustrating for sure. Seeing OU lose didn’t piss me off but its the one sided officiating that was very obvious. I do think OSU is the better team this year but overall the season has been a mess.

Hopefully OU can win its Bowl Game and close out the season on a good note.
Officiating was just bad all around. OU got the shaft with the calls at the end, no argument, but it was poorly officiated throughout the entire game.

Stagnant offense cost us yet again, same as vs Baylor and a few others we managed to eek out a win regardless. Same as at Baylor and at OSU tonight the defense gave our offense plenty of opportunities to win but the offense didn't engage. Really sad when you think about it, both of those games were very winnable and we could be sitting here talking about being undefeated with a chance to go to the playoffs with a win in the Big 12 title game instead we are where we usually are after having lost a game or 2 we had every chance to win. Getting old.

Reactions: Belldozer1
The offense wasn't bad, it was the bonehead penalties, the miss communication with the QB and center.
I'm a Caleb fan, he gives it his all but he's not there, yet. He needs to work on his vision and get a little tighter on his passing. Plus he has to learn to feel that guy behind him. I don't know how many times he got caught from behind, when he starts to juke, not feeling the guy behind him.

I know Caleb can only run about 50% of the playbook but damn Lincoln, give him some easy passing plays. Riley learned from the master of 2-7 yard plays, Leach.

Grinch, EVERYONE has figured out your twists, you've had great success with talent, quit the gimmick shit. You do not need Redmond and Thomas, do 5 step shuffle twist.

I don't remember Grey doing punt returns. Was today his 1st time?

I know Lincoln Riley has stated he will not go to LSU, and I will take him at his word. However, after this season and especially last night’s game, he would get a lot more love in Baton Rouge than Norman over the next 10 months. And a lot more money. I’m thinking that his favorite song is Big Ball’s in Cowtown.

The offense wasn't bad, it was the bonehead penalties, the miss communication with the QB and center.
I'm a Caleb fan, he gives it his all but he's not there, yet. He needs to work on his vision and get a little tighter on his passing. Plus he has to learn to feel that guy behind him. I don't know how many times he got caught from behind, when he starts to juke, not feeling the guy behind him.

I know Caleb can only run about 50% of the playbook but damn Lincoln, give him some easy passing plays. Riley learned from the master of 2-7 yard plays, Leach.

Grinch, EVERYONE has figured out your twists, you've had great success with talent, quit the gimmick shit. You do not need Redmond and Thomas, do 5 step shuffle twist.

he did last week as well but dropped one there as well but was able to recover it. If you arent going to throw the ball to Mimms at least let him return punts. Not sure why they made the switch.

Probably not, never said he was but you never know.

Everyone has figured out Grinch's pass rush schemes? So that's why we got seven sacks last week? Come on man...

I know Lincoln Riley has stated he will not go to LSU, and I will take him at his word. However, after this season and especially last night’s game, he would get a lot more love in Baton Rouge than Norman over the next 10 months. And a lot more money. I’m thinking that his favorite song is Big Ball’s in Cowtown.
Riley has been the HC here for 5 years. He makes the kind of money commensurate with winning NC’s. We finished the season at 10-2, not bad on the surface but we just as easily could have finished 7-5 without some very fortunate breaks going our way against some very average teams.

a couple of weeks ago we were 9-1 sitting at No. 11, Bama was 9-1 sitting at No. 2. That speaks volumes as to the perception of Riley and our team.

If I am Castiglione I first thank Riley for the job he’s done even though the final results have been damn disappointing by not winning a playoff game or a Championship and then I would remind him that at this point that is where the program needs to be. The kid gloves need to come off and stop treating Riley like boy wonder and treating him like the greatest thing since sliced bread. He’s not, he’s gotten stale.

I don’t want to hear about injuries, recruiting or any other bs he likes to throw out there. Sure that figures in but he makes $7.6 mil. To figure that out. Some will say ‘but we’re having to go with a true freshman at qb’ and that’s true but that’s not because Rattler got hurt it’s because he ended up having to operate in Riley’s system that both have struggled in, Williams is just a better scrambler or would probably looked the same as Rattler did this year.

I think the defense played really good at times this year and then really bad at times. I still think tackling is an issue and it doesn’t take 5 star players to tackle someone. OSU did just fine with their 3 and 4 star guys.

we need to find a way to win our bowl game and hope recruiting holds up.

The 3rd quarter killed us, 47 total yards. Probably had more penalty yards than that. As bad as the offense played Special Teams played worse and cost us the game. A kick return for TD and muffed punt, plus poor judgments on trying to return the kickoffs. If you are going to put backups on the kick coverage team your kicker better kick it out of the endzone, which he did 90% of the time. Last few weeks the kicker just didnt have the same leg.

The o-line this year was probably the biggest disappointment! They really didn't perform at the level of even Kansas!
Agree, even with the regression on Rattler.
The o-line's regression had a ripple effect on everything:
No decent running game, which kept the offense from having long, time-consuming drives which rested the defense and made OU too much of a passing team.
No decent protection for OU's quarterbacks who had to throw hurriedly and who had to run for their lives too often.
No decent play from the receivers who could not get open forcing passes to be throw into double coverage.

10-2 is respectable and OU will have 15 days of bowl prep which will be beneficial both for the bowl game and for next season.
I can see many changes looming in the days ahead both on the field and on the sidelines. Some serious upgrades are needed if OU is to return to playoff caliber. The raw talent is there and more good talent is forthcoming....and this will always be an annual occurrence. But it seems to me that talent needs better development and focus, in addition to learning to play with composure and intelligence (far removed from last night's game).
And let's get away from the BS taunting, the personal fouls and all-about-me celebrations. If I wanted to see that, I would watch Sunday games.
Last night's game revealed to me all that is wrong with OU and all that I dislike in player behavior in football.

Reactions: Oklabama
Riley has been the HC here for 5 years. He makes the kind of money commensurate with winning NC’s. We finished the season at 10-2, not bad on the surface but we just as easily could have finished 7-5 without some very fortunate breaks going our way against some very average teams.

a couple of weeks ago we were 9-1 sitting at No. 11, Bama was 9-1 sitting at No. 2. That speaks volumes as to the perception of Riley and our team.

If I am Castiglione I first thank Riley for the job he’s done even though the final results have been damn disappointing by not winning a playoff game or a Championship and then I would remind him that at this point that is where the program needs to be. The kid gloves need to come off and stop treating Riley like boy wonder and treating him like the greatest thing since sliced bread. He’s not, he’s gotten stale.

I don’t want to hear about injuries, recruiting or any other bs he likes to throw out there. Sure that figures in but he makes $7.6 mil. To figure that out. Some will say ‘but we’re having to go with a true freshman at qb’ and that’s true but that’s not because Rattler got hurt it’s because he ended up having to operate in Riley’s system that both have struggled in, Williams is just a better scrambler or would probably looked the same as Rattler did this year.

I think the defense played really good at times this year and then really bad at times. I still think tackling is an issue and it doesn’t take 5 star players to tackle someone. OSU did just fine with their 3 and 4 star guys.

we need to find a way to win our bowl game and hope recruiting holds up.
ummmm you quoted me on something that I never posted.

Grey has returned punts this season.

Reactions: 8085sooner
The 3rd quarter killed us, 47 total yards. Probably had more penalty yards than that. As bad as the offense played Special Teams played worse and cost us the game. A kick return for TD and muffed punt, plus poor judgments on trying to return the kickoffs. If you are going to put backups on the kick coverage team your kicker better kick it out of the endzone, which he did 90% of the time. Last few weeks the kicker just didnt have the same leg.
I think teams are so used to the kickoff not being returned that they don't know what to do when they actually have to go tackle the returner.

I think teams are so used to the kickoff not being returned that they don't know what to do when they actually have to go tackle the returner.
Our guys looked like they haven’t practiced running kicks back all year, heck give Mario Williams a shot back there. He’s being underutilized in my opinion

Been on vacation, what did I miss?

Well in all seriousness, wishing everyone a great Christmas and new year. I usually go dormant if we are not championship bound. Until next season take it easy.

Reactions: soonersoldier
I never thought that this would be the year to make it to the final game, but had big hopes for 2022 and 2023. Based on this year’s performance, I’m not feeling it for next year now. I’m factoring in the head coach and his staff, not just the players. This program needs a lot of improvement in very short order to have any chance of qualifying for the final CFP game next year.

Did anyone else read where the commish called down to the field had told the refs to pick up that flag. If there is any truth to that he needs to be fired

I know they always say that. He may be truthful about it I don't know. I remember too many other Coaches have said the same thing when asked that question about leaving a School.
There have been many and being a Dolphin fan I remember Saban saying that when he was HC at Miami, next day he landed in Tuscaloosa and was introduced as the new HC at Bama.
Well. he was telling the truth I guess....

The way the Sooners played on offense the last 3 weeks makes me wonder if Stoops called horrible games to lose. That way he could announce his job at USC and finish with a strong recruiting class.

The way the Sooners played on offense the last 3 weeks makes me wonder if Stoops called horrible games to lose. That way he could announce his job at USC and finish with a strong recruiting class.
I know you meant Riley, but I don’t see why any coach going to a new program would want to come there losing 2 out of 3. Why would that help recruiting? If I were LSU or USC I’d being scratching my head. Our new coach choked!!

Reactions: iasooner2000
You may be right, but from what I saw Riley was working hard to win the games, but couldn’t. I hate to think he would purposely tank. But I guess it’s possible.
Today is the first day to resume in house recruiting visits. He was on the phone with Cali QB yesterday on behalf of USC. His play calling the 2nd half was puzzling at best; this has been true most of the year though.

He has been pissed since the announcement of moving to the SEC and having no say. He was frustrated when non football team started pressuring for Rattler's benching.

At the very least LR has been considering leaving for most if not all the football season in my opinion...his head was not in it. I am reminded of a Bill Parcells' saying: if you are thinking about retiring it is time to retire.

If you are thinking about leaving a top notch, blue blood college football program it's time to go. Just wish he had owned it and done it the right way. If he had, fans would not be questioning if he intentionally sucked.

Reactions: runningback43
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT