ADVERTISEMENT

OU Players who left you thinking, "What could have been?"

dskou

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2001
Michael Thompson: He was a talented freshman DB for the '00 National Champs. He was injured in a car wreck and never the same. That defense was special and he was a key member.

Marcus Dupree: Don't know if I will ever be over this one. Most talented player I think I've ever seen. Nagging injuries due to being out of shape and poor/evil mentorship/representation from "Rev" Ken Fairley ended his career before it got started. Blew out his knee in the USFL and th a 6 year lay off from football, yet was still able to try out and make the NFL Rams football team was beyond amazing. No telling what he would have accomplished if he had the dedication and discipline of AD. I still feel cheated by what we didn't get to see from him. ESPN 30 for 30 "The Best that Never Was" is a must see!

Adrian Peterson: Yes, he set some records during his time at OU and had a phenomenal NFL career. But he was only healthy his freshman season and even banged up then. High ankle sprain to broken collar bone. Just not fair. He could have owned the NCAA career rushing record if he stayed healthy.

Mike Gaddis: Some said he was the second coming of Billy Sims. The hype seemed warranted during his freshman season. However, he blew out his knee against texas and he just was never the same. To add insult to injury, he hurt his knee while running wide open for what would have been a TD and just went down with the knee. The TD or him finishing the game and OU wins that one. He still had a solid career rushing for over 1,000 yds his senior season but he never reached the title of "Greatness" that he was definitely on track to achieve.

Billy Sims: Yes, he was only the 6th junior to win the Heisman Trophy at that time and over 1,700 & 1,600 yrds rushing respectively his final two seasons. But for all he accomplished, he left a lot in the tank. He was banged up much of the first half of his career. And he was taken out early a lot of the games his senior season because he was banged up that season, as well. Still he came in 2nd in the Heisman voting and was clearly the best back in the nation as was proven when he was the #1 overall NFL draft pick.

Spencer Tillman & Earl Johnson: They took over toting the rock after Marcus Dupree left the team in 1983. A lot of people don't know but Dupree caused some good RB's to leave OU due to him just being a freshman and appearing to be a 2-3 time future Heisman winner. Tillman and Johnson truly epitomized the phrase, "next man up," and both ended their frosh seasons with 1,000 yds rushing. They were the first freshman RB's to eclipse 1,000 yds as freshmen. They both battled injuries the remainder of their career. Tillman still went on to have a long career in the NFL mostly on special teams.

Buster Rhymes: Got in trouble, kicked off the team. Worked his way back on the team after being gone a year. Then played WR and returned kicks and was a highlight play waiting to happen. Had a pretty good NFL career but he ran for over 600 yds his freshman season and his future seemed bright.

Jamelle Holieway: Fantastic freshman season and a National Championship. His ACL injury in 1987 against the cowpokes (along with starting FB Lydell Carr) probably cost OU the NC that season. He came back the following season but was never the same.

Charles Thompson: I went to the Red-White game in 1987. I remember everyone there being blown away when an unknown freshman QB ran wild on the best defense in the nation that spring. Charles was another Eric Mitchell waiting for his turn. It came against #1 Nebraska in the annual bash for the Big 8 Championship and deemed game of the Century II with OU ranked #2. CT didn't disappoint and the Sooners beat the huskers 17- 7. He was known for wearing a headband around his neck with "Hanta Yo" written on it meaning "Clear the Way" in Sioux. Unfortunately, the way was blocked by the judicial system when he was arrested for narcotics trafficking and missed his final two years with the Sooners. This also was considered one of the final nails in the coffin for Barry. I would bet CT was close to a 4.3 forty guy.

Troy Aikman: Forced into the starting QB position against the jayhawks his freshman season and 1 week shy of his 18th birthday, Aikman was welcomed to college football in the harshest way. Starting QB, Danny Bradley was injured the previous week and backup Mike Clopton had just been ruled ineligible. Troy was 2 of 18 passing for 8 yards and two int's, one being returned for a TD and ku pulled the upset. In 1985, Aikman was running the option and slinging the rock and looking like a future All Pro in the NFL. Against miami, Troy was running and throwing all over the place and only a few penalties had kept the Sooners from running away with it. Then Troy went down with a broken leg, OU lost to the hurricanes and Holieway took over and lead the Sooners to Switzer's 3rd National Championship. Barry wanting to help Aikman with his career, called several schools with high powered passing offenses. Only Terry Donahue and the ucla bruins were interested and the rest is history. All turned out well for the Sooners and Aikman but it makes you wonder what would have been.

Eric Mitchell: Was a backup to Jamelle Holieway and a fan favorite. Fans would go crazy when he entered the game because he was so electrifying. I remember OU beating texas really bad. Eric came in and scored a TD that was called back. The following play, long TD again. He was a true 4.3 guy, maybe faster. He was finally moved to RB to try to utilize his talents. He was drafted in the 6th round in the NFL but his career quickly ended due to an injury. I think there was some controversy over why he didn't get more playing time. I wish the University would put together a highlight reel for his career.

Feel free to add to the list. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.