ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Texas not likely to leave the Big 12 until 2025....

After this year, I say the longer we have the better. Four of Coach V’s recruiting classes should move us into solid position to compete.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Fox is playing hardball and who can blame them from a business point. OU and Tx screwed up signing the GOR deal. In fact all the schools did.

If ESPN wants them in SEC by 2024 I bet a deal for the early exits will happen.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I actually don’t see an on the field negative for OU to stay put until 2025. Two more years playing in the B12 may be better for Venables to develop his team.
Agree. I won't be surprised if at least a couple of games are lost along the way, but better days are clearly on the way.
A weak early schedule will help get this team headed in the right direction.

With the addition of the new schools, the big 12 could be a top conference. Top to bottom, as far as coaches go, the big 12 is a top 2 conference, if not the best conference. I can see this new conference doing very well.

Reactions: SoonerSA
With the addition of the new schools, the big 12 could be a top conference. Top to bottom, as far as coaches go, the big 12 is a top 2 conference, if not the best conference. I can see this new conference doing very well

With the current makeup of the BIg 12, I'd vote to stay. Not knowing the alignment in the SEC, I'd prefer the easier travel schedule for fans.

With the current makeup of the BIg 12, I'd vote to stay. Not knowing the alignment in the SEC, I'd prefer the easier travel schedule for fans.
Going to the SEC will be a change unlike anything Sooner fans have had to endure. Ever. Too bad the B12 had to play with only ten teams. Never know what coulda been if it had expanded instead.

Going to the SEC will be a change unlike anything Sooner fans have had to endure. Ever. Too bad the B12 had to play with only ten teams. Never know what coulda been if it had expanded instead.
Agree but in the end I think it is a move that had to be done. As much as I hate the SEC, they along with the B10 are the money makers in FB revenue. It has become a B10/SEC monopoly for FB. Football makes more money for schools than any other sport.

31M per school is a nice payout for B12 teams but going to the SEC could double that value if I read correctly when the new SEC contract comes around.

I loved the old B8 but expansion changed everything and when NU, CU,Mizz and AtM all left the B12 the Sooners and Horns should have followed suite.

Agree but in the end I think it is a move that had to be done. As much as I hate the SEC, they along with the B10 are the money makers in FB revenue. It has become a B10/SEC monopoly for FB. Football makes more money for schools than any other sport.

31M per school is a nice payout for B12 teams but going to the SEC could double that value if I read correctly when the new SEC contract comes around.

I loved the old B8 but expansion changed everything and when NU, CU,Mizz and AtM all left the B12 the Sooners and Horns should have followed suite.
Too much about money and too little about common sense.
And the entire scenario was started by Texas.

Too much about money and too little about common sense.
And the entire scenario was started by Texas.
Not all the blame lies with Texas. I dislike Texas as much as anyone but the blame also goes on NU, CU, AtM and Mizzou. I get why they left but they used Texas as an excuse but in the end it was all about money. Mizzou whored themselves out more than anyone even after agreeing to stay in the conference. One year later after begging the SEC to take them since the B10 pushed them aside for NU.

Look at what it got them all! Nothing but money and the team that has suffered the most is NU a once great proud program. It may happen to our Sooners in FB also but all other sports OU will be fine, that I am confident in.

In Basketball it may be a blessing.

CT

BTW I doubt the B12 is done losing teams as I would venture to guess KU will be in the B10 sometime in the next 5 years and maybe even ISU. The B12 may be around for a long time but it will be full of new faces. None of those new faces will make it a better FB conference in the eyes of many that count.

Not all the blame lies with Texas. I dislike Texas as much as anyone but the blame also goes on NU, CU, AtM and Mizzou. I get why they left but they used Texas as an excuse but in the end it was all about money. Mizzou whored themselves out more than anyone even after agreeing to stay in the conference. One year later after begging the SEC to take them since the B10 pushed them aside for NU.

Look at what it got them all! Nothing but money and the team that has suffered the most is NU a once great proud program. It may happen to our Sooners in FB also but all other sports OU will be fine, that I am confident in.

In Basketball it may be a blessing.
NO, NO, NO, N0, NO. This was all about UT, leaving a weak conference 28 years ago, and then barging into a solid middle of the country conference and not being a team player. They were all about exploiting their own advantages and trying to undermine the fellow conference members.

Their president encouraged the other academics in conference leadership to put limitations on who could be recruited, to the detriment of the small state population schools. As a huge population state school, those limitations didn't hurt them. By comparison, it was a selfish act, that ran off great schools, particularly Nebraska. The academic people bought UT's propaganda, and it negatively impacted the conference, creating restriction in excess of NCAA limits. It destroyed the conference.

Ironically, it pissed off A&M so much that they moved to the SEC, where over a few seasons, they started to out-recruit Texas, after Longhorn faithful had ridiculed the Aggies for their move a decade ago. Now, in an effort to catch up, the Longhorns are joining them.

I wish we would have let them leave by themselves. What have they won, three conference titles in 27 years. Screw em.

Sure looks like it's gonna happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT