ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What's the best lake in Oklahoma?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I've always been a fan of Lake Eufaula. Best fishing, sandy beaches and girls in bikinis. Well I added the last response for fitty. Lake Murray has some clear water. Lake Carl Blackwell in Stillwater is the worse. Dirty SOB....HA!

Give you your opinion.........BTW.....name some out of state lakes...................

Reactions: iasooner1
Broken Bow. Spent tons of time on that lake as a kid. During the summer I've seen the water get so clear you can jig a chrome spoon in 25ft of water and you can see the flashes standing in the boat. It's in the mountains so the scenery is awesome, and some rocky cliffs you can boat out to and jump off into the water. You can either boat up north and get into the Mountain Fork river, or you can get below the dam and do some great trout fishing. I guess one strike against it is the beaches are more rocky than sandy though. But that only affects city slickers with soft feet. Lol :D

Gators have made their way into the lake though. I never, ever, ever heard about gators being in Broken Bow when I was growing up. But a handful of years ago they found a dead 12ft gator floating around. Guess some redneck took care of it cuz it was shot in the head. I don't blame them either...who the hell wants a 12ft gator cruising around a lake!!! :eek::eek:

Admittedly I'm not up on the latest attractions...but Skiatook is a hotbed for hybrid striped bass.
The trick is, hire a guide, on his ocean worthy boat...pay the bucks.

They'll put you on top of them, supply the gear and some food. All you have to do is have a pulse and about 600 bucks for two people, and they guarantee the state limit.

I haven't done it yet but it's on my bucket list.:cool:

I grew up partial to Lake Greenleaf near Muskogee and Lake Murray near Ardmore because the water was really clean for Oklahoma lakes. Dad had a sailboat when I was in middle school and high school and he liked taking it over to Lake Keystone because it was the closest lake to where we lived in Tulsa, but I never cared for it. Seemed like Keystone was in a perpetual state of "turning over" and the water was always orange. When I lived in Norman, I spent a bit of time over at Lake Thunderbird. Not a bad little lake and I had a lot of fun there.

Admittedly I'm not up on the latest attractions...but Skiatook is a hotbed for hybrid striped bass.
The trick is, hire a guide, on his ocean worthy boat...pay the bucks.

They'll put you on top of them, supply the gear and some food. All you have to do is have a pulse and about 600 bucks for two people, and they guarantee the state limit.

I haven't done it yet but it's on my bucket list.:cool:

Texoma is king for striper in Oklahoma and you're overpaying at 300 a person. My pa charges 125 per or 350 minimum for 2, which is the standard rate among guides here. Book a trip and I'll go catch some fish with you.

As for the rest, I agree with Billy about Broken Bow. Arbuckle Lake used to be a beautiful spot but haven't been there in a while. Carl Blackwell is the best for large mouth, or at least it was.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Texoma is king for striper in Oklahoma and you're overpaying at 300 a person. My pa charges 125 per or 350 minimum for 2, which is the standard rate among guides here. Book a trip and I'll go catch some fish with you.

As for the rest, I agree with Billy about Broken Bow. Arbuckle Lake used to be a beautiful spot but haven't been there in a while. Carl Blackwell is the best for large mouth, or at least it was.

Thanks BC, I'll have to check that out.

Your Dad have a link?
Yes, it would be a plus to have you as a wing man.
Let me know something in that vein.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I grew up partial to Lake Greenleaf near Muskogee and Lake Murray near Ardmore because the water was really clean for Oklahoma lakes. Dad had a sailboat when I was in middle school and high school and he liked taking it over to Lake Keystone because it was the closest lake to where we lived in Tulsa, but I never cared for it. Seemed like Keystone was in a perpetual state of "turning over" and the water was always orange. When I lived in Norman, I spent a bit of time over at Lake Thunderbird. Not a bad little lake and I had a lot of fun there.

Funny you mentioned Greenleaf. What a beautiful lake. I fished it with my brother-in-law many times. I never caught a fish.

A funny story...My brother in law and I once fished several ponds in Porum,Ok. We had several large mouth bass weighing up to six pounds. We went to the local bait shop to get our picture taken and put on the stores wall of fame.

Lake Eufuala was having a Major Bass Tournament that weekend. I'm talking the Pro's. We pulled out our catch and the crowd went nuts. Pro's and crowd were cheering us and we just looked at each other with a strange look.

The announcer with TV running said "I think we have the winning team, but you're supposed to keep them alive". Met a lot of pro fisherman that day. All of them wanted to know what part of the Lake Eufuala we caught them at and then wanted to go to the farm ponds after we told them. :D

Last edited:
Reminds me when I was 16, fresh with a new driver license. (circa, 1966)
Me and a bud were at the little beach there on Lake Latonka, not far from Lawton by the Wichita Mountain refuge.

Hot summer day, this couple pulls up, gets out the car and comes down to the water.
Young hot babe, smoking.
She takes off her dress, shoes, panty hose, and in bra and panties jumps into the water.

I couldn't believe it.
The guy, proud as punch said something like..."What do you think boys, isn't she a smoker?"

I couldn't talk, much less disagree...:D

Reminds me when I was 16, fresh with a new driver license. (circa, 1966)
Me and a bud were at the little beach there on Lake Latonka, not far from Lawton by the Wichita Mountain refuge.

Hot summer day, this couple pulls up, gets out the car and comes down to the water.
Young hot babe, smoking.
She takes off her dress, shoes, panty hose, and in bra and panties jumps into the water.

I couldn't believe it.
The guy, proud as punch said something like..."What do you think boys, isn't she a smoker?"

I couldn't talk, much less disagree...:D

They didn't have panty hose in your days.................. HA!

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I was always partial to Tenkiller as I learned to slalom there. Great cliff-diving spots and the cleanest in NE OK or so I have been told. I have never had the pleasure of visiting any of OK's more southern lakes but Broken Bow sounds great. I skied at Ft Gibson on March 1 on an unusually warm spring day in the mid-70's but no, was not naked...

I never knew your Pop had a boat T. How come I never got to go ? Man you know a person for almost a whole lifetime and can always find some new little nugget... :cool:o_O

Reactions: Schoonerman
I never knew your Pop had a boat T. How come I never got to go ? Man you know a person for almost a whole lifetime and can always find some new little nugget... :cool:o_O

Dad bought the boat when I was in the 7th grade and sold it the summer before our sophmore year. So, we only had it a few years and it was already gone when you, me, Bob and the other Hopping Rodents started hanging out.

How many of you are familiar with Birch Lake? Some of you Tulsans and Skiatook peeps might be.

Only a 30 minute drive from the Bartlesville High School, and a popular spot for some of the students/miscreants to go after school when summer was nearing. 1992 Firebird with the T-Tops off, hanging out on this beach and smoking a spliff with some friends before it was time to head home for dinner and homework. :D

https://goo.gl/maps/nrKGZhqGtzz

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT