ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Hey, you office habituals...

Served two years in Germany a long time ago, near Kassel, in Army Intelligence (yeah, oxymoron). Got my pocket picked in Paris, had a free whore for 4 days in Barcelona (she was gorgeous ... and blonde, truly blonde), and watched a bullfight in Madrid (wound up rooting for the bulls because of all the shit the picadors did to the animals before the matadors took them on).

Billy Ray, I asked why you left. Stupid question. You were in the military. And, yes. I said I used to live in Hanau.

My father was Army at Pioneer in Hanau. I played pony league baseball for Pioneer. We got around a little.

My manager was a former Pittsburgh Pirate. He was special services. About all he did was teach and manage youth baseball that I know of.

I played basketball for Hanau Junior. My biggest game ever saw me score 4 pts. We had a Wilt Chamberlain type.

On Saturdays, I hung out at the soccer field at Pioneer and collected coke bottles.

An aquaintance in Temple, TX keeps me boned up on German. Her slang and accent is quite different as she grew up in Berlin.

Her German word order is often times lacking. I'll say, "Come you children here in." She'll use English word order, "Come you here in, children", or simply, "come in" or "come in, children". I strive to use correct word order in both German and English, but sometimes I fail.

I ended up leaving because I didn't sign on for a continuous assignment over there when I first got to Germany. Kinda weird how they did it, you had to sign whether to accept it or decline within a couple of weeks of getting in country. Heck, before going to Germany I had never been out of the US. So the culture shock was pretty severe, so heck I declined since I really didn't know if I was going to like it or not. But once the shock wore off, and I got off base and got accustomed to the life over there hell I could have lived there forever. Where I was stationed, nothing was Americanized. We were assigned to a German airbase, so there was maybe 150 Americans at the most. But when time for orders came up I ended up getting sent back to the states. Had I stayed in the military longer, no doubt I would have done everything to get back to Europe.

That's pretty cool you grew up over there. How many years were you there? I'm not sure where Hanau is. Wish I had a friend like you do with keeping up on speaking German. I never got fluent, but I learned enough to get by over there. Would be nice to get fluent enough to communicate if I ever take trips back over there. I really just need to get off my ass and plan a trip and get over there!!

Billy Ray, I asked why you left. Stupid question. You were in the military. And, yes. I said I used to live in Hanau.

My father was Army at Pioneer in Hanau. I played pony league baseball for Pioneer. We got around a little.

My manager was a former Pittsburgh Pirate. He was special services. About all he did was teach and manage youth baseball that I know of.

I played basketball for Hanau Junior. My biggest game ever saw me score 4 pts. We had a Wilt Chamberlain type.

On Saturdays, I hung out at the soccer field at Pioneer and collected coke bottles.

An aquaintance in Temple, TX keeps me boned up on German. Her slang and accent is quite different as she grew up in Berlin.

Her German word order is often times lacking. I'll say, "Come you children here in." She'll use English word order, "Come you here in, children", or simply, "come in" or "come in, children". I strive to use correct word order in both German and English, but sometimes I fail.
Crazy because German word order as well as most of the language uses hard rules without exceptions. Peculiar that someone once fluent in it could mess it up.

Verb is ALWAYS second.

Hanau is 23 km from Hanau. Nearby Gelnhausen is the only German city I ever heard consistently pronounced correctly by English speakers. Stutgart is one of the most abused mispronunciations. And Munich in English is a whole different world.

I was there my middle school years 7th to ninth grades. My pony league baseball was ages 14-17.

To this day, I may still be the only ambidextrous and ambipedal catcher to ever play in that league. My goofy coach somehow thought it was a good idea to catch left for 4 innings and right for 3 innings. He thought it would make opponents wonder what the heck was going on.

My high school days were at Lawton High. My white mother said "no" to Lawton Dunbar and the Kiowa principal said "no" to me at Fort Sill Indian School, angering my father. Lawton High would take anybody. A black girl sat behind me in my senior English class. She would have been shot in Russelville, AR or Waco.

I grew up watching my mother make my father a 1 quart jar of ice water for our Saturday downtown Lawton visits. With that, my father didn't have to deal with the "colored only" and "white only" drinking fountains at Oklahoma Tire and Supply and Sears Roebuck and Company.

When I think about Germany, I remember the old days.

Hanau is 23 km from Hanau. Nearby Gelnhausen is the only German city I ever heard consistently pronounced correctly by English speakers. Stutgart is one of the most abused mispronunciations. And Munich in English is a whole different world.

I was there my middle school years 7th to ninth grades. My pony league baseball was ages 14-17.

To this day, I may still be the only ambidextrous and ambipedal catcher to ever play in that league. My goofy coach somehow thought it was a good idea to catch left for 4 innings and right for 3 innings. He thought it would make opponents wonder what the heck was going on.

My high school days were at Lawton High. My white mother said "no" to Lawton Dunbar and the Kiowa principal said "no" to me at Fort Sill Indian School, angering my father. Lawton High would take anybody. A black girl sat behind me in my senior English class. She would have been shot in Russelville, AR or Waco.

I grew up watching my mother make my father a 1 quart jar of ice water for our Saturday downtown Lawton visits. With that, my father didn't have to deal with the "colored only" and "white only" drinking fountains at Oklahoma Tire and Supply and Sears Roebuck and Company.

When I think about Germany, I remember the old days.

Mmm, Sunburnt, I don't remember the Jim Crow laws in effect in Lawton when I was there, beginning in 1961, I could be wrong on that, what did I know, I was a confused 11 years old.
However I do remember going to the downtown movie theater in Chickasha, where we moved to Lawton from, and asking my Dad if we could go up into the balcony?
He just gently told me that it was 'reserved' and let it go at that.
Curiosity, getting the better of me, when we got seated downstairs I looked back and up, sure enough, nothing but black folks in the aforementioned balcony.
It was a learning experience.

I didn't grasp why, but still...:(

Last edited:
Mmm, Sunburnt, I don't remember the Jim Crow laws in effect in Lawton when I was there, beginning in 1961, I could be wrong on that, what did I know, I was a confused 11 years old.
However I do remember going to the downtown movie theater in Chickasha, where we moved to Lawton from, and asking my Dad if we could go up into the balcony?
He just gently told me that it was 'reserved' and let it go at that.
Curiosity, getting the better of me, when we got seated downstairs I looked back and up, sure enough, nothing but black folks in the aforementioned balcony.
It was a learning experience.

I didn't grasp why, but still...:(

Excellent post fitty. Maybe one of your best ever. I have a few stories during those days, but not on this thread. I would just soon forget them.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
fitty, I once took the original Whitney Houston to the Murray Theater on C Avenue. We sat in the balcony.
Whitney and I would visit on her porch swing in South Lawton. We couldn't go to the Vaska Theater. Probably couldn't go sit at the A&W Root Beer Stand. We didn't take any chances in the era.

We could go swimming at Fort Sill but no-no at Doe Doe Park.

I went off to the Air Force in 1961. Coming home in 1968 saw many changes. The "colored only" and "white only" signs were gone.

I don't think Lawton ever bussed. A sister was all worried, but her kids remained at neighborhood schools. I'm told Lawton Dunbar closed. I think after Lawton Ike came along.

I'm not sure what Fort Sill Indian School is doing today. If anything. My second elementary school, Lawton Taft is long time closed.

I never hung out at Wayne's Drive In. It was a white cat hang out. I hung at Mac's and Charlie's on Lee Blvd. I got thrown out of John's Superette on Sheridan. John and brother just didn't like teens like me. And, no. I didn't steal anything.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
fitty, I once took the original Whitney Houston to the Murray Theater on C Avenue. We sat in the balcony.
Whitney and I would visit on her porch swing in South Lawton. We couldn't go to the Vaska Theater. Probably couldn't go sit at the A&W Root Beer Stand. We didn't take any chances in the era.

We could go swimming at Fort Sill but no-no at Doe Doe Park.

I went off to the Air Force in 1961. Coming home in 1968 saw many changes. The "colored only" and "white only" signs were gone.

I don't think Lawton ever bussed. A sister was all worried, but her kids remained at neighborhood schools. I'm told Lawton Dunbar closed. I think after Lawton Ike came along.

I'm not sure what Fort Sill Indian School is doing today. If anything. My second elementary school, Lawton Taft is long time closed.

I never hung out at Wayne's Drive In. It was a white cat hang out. I hung at Mac's and Charlie's on Lee Blvd. I got thrown out of John's Superette on Sheridan. John and brother just didn't like teens like me. And, no. I didn't steal anything.

I sometimes mused that the fifties were an 'innocent' time in American history...on reflection now, not so much.

Last edited:

Lol ya not sure how the original München got turned into Munich, which the English pronunciation is very far off from the actually pronunciation. But I think the German city name that got butchered the most is Köln, which everyone here may recognize it as Cologne. And the difference in pronunciation between the two baffles me how it got that butchered in a translation. And you are right about different slang and accents for different parts of Germany. Like you mentioned the way the lady from Berlin says things may be VERY different in how Germans from where I was stationed would say things. I lived in the Rheinland-Pfalz region. It was weird how when I was there the "western" Germans tended to look down on Germans from the "eastern" part of the country. There was still a big divide in the population held over from the cold war era when the country was split. Or maybe it was just an attitude held by the locals where I lived.

I like to find German films and watch them in German with English subtitles. Reminds me of the good ole days of living in Germany.

Lol ya not sure how the original München got turned into Munich, which the English pronunciation is very far off from the actually pronunciation. But I think the German city name that got butchered the most is Köln, which everyone here may recognize it as Cologne. And the difference in pronunciation between the two baffles me how it got that butchered in a translation. And you are right about different slang and accents for different parts of Germany. Like you mentioned the way the lady from Berlin says things may be VERY different in how Germans from where I was stationed would say things. I lived in the Rheinland-Pfalz region. It was weird how when I was there the "western" Germans tended to look down on Germans from the "eastern" part of the country. There was still a big divide in the population held over from the cold war era when the country was split. Or maybe it was just an attitude held by the locals where I lived.

I like to find German films and watch them in German with English subtitles. Reminds me of the good ole days of living in Germany.
Even Vilseck... it is pronounced more like FEEL SEK

Reactions: BillyRay
I was in Bavaria when a German said to me in German, "How late?" I thought how late is what? He pointed to my watch. He wanted to know what time it was. As you know, a German speaker would ask, "how much o'clock is it?"

English, "do you know what time it is?" German, "know you how much o'clock it is?" English is the dominate West Germanic language. Far easier to learn if we had a direct translation.

I was in Bavaria when a German said to me in German, "How late?" I thought how late is what? He pointed to my watch. He wanted to know what time it was. As you know, a German speaker would ask, "how much o'clock is it?"

English, "do you know what time it is?" German, "know you how much o'clock it is?" English is the dominate West Germanic language. Far easier to learn if we had a direct translation.
And Bavaria has a totally unique style of the German language.

Mechanical & Electrical Engineer. I design and build machine tools to manufacture oil and gas distribution equipment. As everyone knows, the oil industry is down, the natural gas industry is doing a little better, and I'm staying very busy. Lots of ongoing projects and more coming. However, after 35 years of this, I'm growing tired.

Understanding Engineers #1:

Two engineering students were biking across a university campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

The first engineer nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice: The clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."

Understanding Engineers #2:

To the optimist, the glass is half-full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Understanding Engineers #3:

A priest, a doctor, and an engineer were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers.

The engineer fumed, "What's with those guys? We must have been waiting for fifteen minutes!"

The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such inept golf!"

The priest said, "Here comes the greens-keeper. Let's have a word with him." He said, "Hello George, What's wrong with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

The greens-keeper replied, "Oh, yes. That's a group of blind firemen. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime!"

The group fell silent for a moment. The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The doctor said, "Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleague and see if here's anything she can do for them."

The engineer said, "Why can't they play at night?"

Understanding Engineers #4:
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil engineers?

Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Civil engineers build targets.

Understanding Engineers #5:

The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"

The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"

The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"

The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?”

Understanding Engineers #6:

Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Understanding Engineers #7:
An engineer was crossing a road one day, when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful princess."

He bent over, picked up the frog, and put it in his pocket.

The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn back into a beautiful princess and stay with you for one week."

The engineer took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket.

The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a princess, I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want."

Again, the engineer took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket.

Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful princess and that I'll stay with you for one week and do anything you want. Why won't you kiss me?"

The engineer said, "Look, I'm an engineer. I don't have time for a girlfriend, but a talking frog - now that's cool."

And finally:

Two engineers were standing at the base of a flagpole, looking at its top. A woman walked by and asked what they were doing.

"We're supposed to find the height of this flagpole," said Sven, "but we don't have a ladder."

The woman took a wrench from her purse, loosened a couple of bolts, and laid the pole down on the ground. Then she took a tape measure from her pocketbook, took a measurement, announced, "Twenty one feet, six inches," and walked away.

One engineer shook his head and laughed, "A lot of good that does us. We ask for the height and she gives us the length!"

Both engineers have since quit their engineering jobs and are currently serving as elected members of Congress.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer by education and worked in west Tulsa as an Industrial Engineer at Wheatley Pump & Valve on Charles Page from 75-80. I was recruited to go overseas for a pipeline construction company based in Bartlesville. Went to Middle east in 1980 and returned to the USA in 2012. I have had the privilege of being based out of Singapore, Dubai, France and Moscow. I have been to 97 different countries in my career. My partner and I formed our own company 2004 providing a broad range of services to the oil and gas industry. We have an engineering and project management company, an onshore/offshore fabrication & construction company & pipeline coating company. Corporate office is in Dubai with work in Caspian Sea region, West Africa and soon to be East Africa. We have not talked of an exit plan but I am slowly working my way out of the day to day management. We have a great group of people working for us that allows a lot of flexibility in schedule. My wife and I had the ability to locate anywhere in the US and chose Scottsdale. We also have a house on four acres in Aniva, Sakhalin Island, Far East Russia where we go most summers. Since returning to the US I have reawakened my interest in fast cars (new and old Corvettes) and older hot rods.

I am a Manufacturing Engineer by education and worked in west Tulsa as an Industrial Engineer at Wheatley Pump & Valve on Charles Page from 75-80. I was recruited to go overseas for a pipeline construction company based in Bartlesville. Went to Middle east in 1980 and returned to the USA in 2012. I have had the privilege of being based out of Singapore, Dubai, France and Moscow. I have been to 97 different countries in my career. My partner and I formed our own company 2004 providing a broad range of services to the oil and gas industry. We have an engineering and project management company, an onshore/offshore fabrication & construction company & pipeline coating company. Corporate office is in Dubai with work in Caspian Sea region, West Africa and soon to be East Africa. We have not talked of an exit plan but I am slowly working my way out of the day to day management. We have a great group of people working for us that allows a lot of flexibility in schedule. My wife and I had the ability to locate anywhere in the US and chose Scottsdale. We also have a house on four acres in Aniva, Sakhalin Island, Far East Russia where we go most summers. Since returning to the US I have reawakened my interest in fast cars (new and old Corvettes) and older hot rods.

Hey Scottsdale, if you don't mind, what is latest conquest super car wise?
I think you mentioned once you got one of the 700 hp Corvettes...was that the last?

I think you mentioned once you got one of the 700 hp Corvettes...was that the last?

Yes Fitty my last purchase was a 2013 ZR1 with 648 HP and I had some after market things done that boosted it to about 750 hp. I had it on a stretch of road between Flagstaff and Winslow in June and rolled it up to 175 mph. I'm waiting on the 2017 ZR1 that should be mid engine. I have been looking for a Hennessey Corvette 2015 or new 2016 but they double in price once he finishes with them and they are "made to order" so the waiting list is long. I have two 65 corvettes both 327 ci with 360 hp. I have a 33 Ford Pick up with a 450 hp 383 ci Stroker and a 1930 Ford Tudor Sedan with a 350 ci 350 hp. The pick up is fast....bright yellow with purple trim and interior.

175 mph... what was your tachometer reading?

Here's a dumb question (and a serious question).

If a 750 hp car can move along at a sustained 175 mph on a remote stretch of highway, there must be a very high ratio differential, like a 2.94:1 or such. So in say, the quarter mile, is all that torque from 750 hp achieved through a ridiculously low 1st and 2nd gear? How many speeds is your transmission? I am asking because I don't know much about modern muscle cars and sports cars. I'm old school, where a guy has a choice between low end torque or sustained high speed, but not both. How is this achieved in these new beasts?

Last edited:

Yes Fitty my last purchase was a 2013 ZR1 with 648 HP and I had some after market things done that boosted it to about 750 hp. I had it on a stretch of road between Flagstaff and Winslow in June and rolled it up to 175 mph. I'm waiting on the 2017 ZR1 that should be mid engine. I have been looking for a Hennessey Corvette 2015 or new 2016 but they double in price once he finishes with them and they are "made to order" so the waiting list is long. I have two 65 corvettes both 327 ci with 360 hp. I have a 33 Ford Pick up with a 450 hp 383 ci Stroker and a 1930 Ford Tudor Sedan with a 350 ci 350 hp. The pick up is fast....bright yellow with purple trim and interior.

Man, you've got the Jay Leno, Arizona branch going.
That little Ford pickup sounds just too cool for school.

Those new Vettes are just sick....SICK!!!

S22, not sure if Scott has an automatic or manual transmission. But at least with a manual, you can get that speed easily in 5th or 6th gear without really putting much strain on the motor. My Camaro has a 6-speed manual, and in 6th gear I hit 2k revs at about 90mph. At least the manual tranny cars have 3.42:1 gears in the rear. So these cars nowadays can hit 100mph and just be cruising down the road without putting too much of a load on the motor. I'm almost positive the manuals in the new Vette's are 6-speeds as well.

S22, not sure if Scott has an automatic or manual transmission. But at least with a manual, you can get that speed easily in 5th or 6th gear without really putting much strain on the motor. My Camaro has a 6-speed manual, and in 6th gear I hit 2k revs at about 90mph. At least the manual tranny cars have 3.42:1 gears in the rear. So these cars nowadays can hit 100mph and just be cruising down the road without putting too much of a load on the motor. I'm almost positive the manuals in the new Vette's are 6-speeds as well.

Thanks Billy. It's my understanding that it takes several minutes to get up to 175 mph in a Vette. So the RPMs would have to be low enough to keep things from flying apart for that sustained period. By the number you gave, 4000 rpm isn't out of the question at 175 mph. Now, going back to the starting line.... that 3.42 is quite a high ratio, but at these insane modern horsepower ratings, computer control and two additional transmission speeds, I can see how these cars are doing in the 10's in the quarter mile off the showroom floor. But the torque must be incredible on the drive train. Something has to give sometime.

And now a rhetorical question. Why would anyone want to mess with a classic muscle car other than sentimental value? I'd rather pour that $60-70K into one of these new monsters.

Thanks Billy. It's my understanding that it takes several minutes to get up to 175 mph in a Vette. So the RPMs would have to be low enough to keep things from flying apart for that sustained period. By the number you gave, 4000 rpm isn't out of the question at 175 mph. Now, going back to the starting line.... that 3.42 is quite a high ratio, but at these insane modern horsepower ratings, computer control and two additional transmission speeds, I can see how these cars are doing in the 10's in the quarter mile off the showroom floor. But the torque must be incredible on the drive train. Something has to give sometime.

And now a rhetorical question. Why would anyone want to mess with a classic muscle car other than sentimental value? I'd rather pour that $60-70K into one of these new monsters.

Well 22, they must be balancing these engines a little better I'm thinking. My only reference would be the 2007 Titan pickup I've got.
330 horse, 348 cu. inch, and it red lines at 6200 RPM.
(all aluminum Endurance moto)
So, by that seemingly high limit, you could 'cruise' at 160 MPH, 4800 RPM for a long time, without lunching your ride. JMHO.

Nah S22, you can get up to 175mph pretty dang fast with that kind of HP/TQ. You do get through your lower gears pretty quickly, and the LS engines really aren't in their "sweet spot" as far as power till 3rd and 4th gear. 1st and 2nd pull hard, but you don't stay in those gears long before hitting the rev limiter, and you have to be careful with losing traction and burning your tires. But you get to 3rd and 4th and it's just keep the pedal on the floor and bang gears and these motors pull like you wouldn't believe. You are right, 3:42 is kinda high, but with the gear ratios in those 6 gears you can get away with it without having to worry about ridiculously high RPMs at higher cruising speeds. In fact, I know quite a few guys would swap to 4:10s in the rear since it pulled so much harder down low, and you didn't lose really all that much off the top end.

And I was wrong, the new C7 Vettes have a 7-speed manual transmission, and an 8-speed automatic. C6s and older have the 6-speed manuals. Not sure how many gears the autos have.

And I agree with comparing a classic muscle car with a newer muscle car. From a pure performance standpoint, those older cars don't have a prayer against cars nowadays. And to make it even crazier, the newer cars have that kind of power and can still easily manage 25+MPG on the highway with those tall gear ratios you can get in 6, 7 and 8 speed transmissions. But no matter, my dream car is still a first gen Camaro with at least a 427ci motor. Like you said, the nostalgia and sentimental factor is a feeling you have for a car that is irreplaceable.

S22S - Tach was at 4300 rpm. I had a clear view for about 30 miles and could have gone to 200 mph without much effort but my wife doesn't have the desire for speed that I do. I was getting that "look" from about 160 to 175 before I got the "word". All ZR1s have 6 speed manual transmissions. As posted, the C7 (2014 and newer) have a 7 speed manual or 8 speed auto. This car has tremendous launch through the first 4 gears. G-Force is significant. There is a feature called :"lunch control" that is featured on You Tube. General Motors provides a 3 day driving school at Bondurant in Phoenix or Vegas in racing modified ZR1s. These cars have digital 12 settings for traction/suspension. It was a learning experience in the class room, obstacle course and track. They basically teach you the handling capabilities and the extreme performance methods. ZR1 have a micro vibre body and the DOT requires extensive testing of the body when a design change. The C7 ZR1s should be out about 2017 or 2018 and expect to be mid engine with about 850 hp. I decided I wanted a ZR1 around Christmas of 2012. I went to the dealer and was told that the plant was retooling for the C7 series and no more "made to order" Vettes were available. I had a specific car in mind....Crimson with cashmere and leather interior with the ZR3 package (60th anniversary emblems and other assorted extras) with the larger chrome wheels. There were two on record as not being sold. One in Sacramento that had an offer pending and one n Chicago that I bought immediately with the deal being done between dealerships. Less than one week later I was driving this car. These cars are not cheap but they are an unbelievable driving experience. I have been around muscle cars most of my life. These new cars are so far ahead of what we could get 20 years ago that there is no comparison. I have about 3 miles drive from my subdivision through boulders and cactus to get to the main road. I assume my pole position in a grand prix persona every time I leave the house in this car. It handles around curves and corners as one would expect an F1 to handle. I will buy the second year new ZR1 when it comes out. One year to work out bugs.

S22S - Tach was at 4300 rpm. I had a clear view for about 30 miles and could have gone to 200 mph without much effort but my wife doesn't have the desire for speed that I do. I was getting that "look" from about 160 to 175 before I got the "word". All ZR1s have 6 speed manual transmissions. As posted, the C7 (2014 and newer) have a 7 speed manual or 8 speed auto. This car has tremendous launch through the first 4 gears. G-Force is significant. There is a feature called :"lunch control" that is featured on You Tube. General Motors provides a 3 day driving school at Bondurant in Phoenix or Vegas in racing modified ZR1s. These cars have digital 12 settings for traction/suspension. It was a learning experience in the class room, obstacle course and track. They basically teach you the handling capabilities and the extreme performance methods. ZR1 have a micro vibre body and the DOT requires extensive testing of the body when a design change. The C7 ZR1s should be out about 2017 or 2018 and expect to be mid engine with about 850 hp. I decided I wanted a ZR1 around Christmas of 2012. I went to the dealer and was told that the plant was retooling for the C7 series and no more "made to order" Vettes were available. I had a specific car in mind....Crimson with cashmere and leather interior with the ZR3 package (60th anniversary emblems and other assorted extras) with the larger chrome wheels. There were two on record as not being sold. One in Sacramento that had an offer pending and one n Chicago that I bought immediately with the deal being done between dealerships. Less than one week later I was driving this car. These cars are not cheap but they are an unbelievable driving experience. I have been around muscle cars most of my life. These new cars are so far ahead of what we could get 20 years ago that there is no comparison. I have about 3 miles drive from my subdivision through boulders and cactus to get to the main road. I assume my pole position in a grand prix persona every time I leave the house in this car. It handles around curves and corners as one would expect an F1 to handle. I will buy the second year new ZR1 when it comes out. One year to work out bugs.

Hey Scottsdale, since I sometimes live vicariously through you guys, I'm sure you had occasion, at one time at least to take a run on the German Autobahn.

Tell us about that. Unlimited Porsche or perhaps a Mercedes, 190-200 MPH?
Hell, you could make something up if you like...how would I know?:cool:

The ZR1 can achieve 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds and to 100 mph in 7 seconds and to 180 mph in 26 seconds. The roar of the engine is chilling from 0 to 60. Launch control is a great feature. The 2013 ZR1 started about about $120,000 and went to $130,000 with added features and upgrades. It comes with an independent phone number, a monthly report generated and sent to your nominated email address which consist of the amount of fuel added, used and the usage report. The LS9 engine was only in the ZR1 in 2013. In the driving school they specifically told us that the ZR1 starts performing at its best at about 110 mph.

I will say this...the leap forward in Corvette performance the last 10 years or so is unreal. The C5's were pretty solid cars, but once GM got into the C6 line of cars, and now C7's, the performance and power has been taken to crazy levels. The power has literally more than doubled compared to 10 years ago. And of course the price has skyrocketed with it. lol But the Corvette now is no doubt in the same class as many of the foreign exotic cars in the levels of performance. The new C7's are just insane!!

Decades from now this very well may be considered another "golden muscle car era". Cuz the power and performance of cars these days is really hard to imagine until you drive one. Who knows if the "go green movement" will one day end this era like the 70s killed the first muscle car era.

BR - I agree with you on the performance advances. From what I have read it was born from a need to compete with high end performance cars from Europe. GM did a good job of getting back in the market. And they have kept the mid range Corvettes very competitive in price. I am not fully sold on the C7 yet but it is personal and has nothing to do with performance.

ZR1 Rear Tire Size - 335/25 20
That would make diameter of tire and wheel 20 + ((335*0.25)/25.4)*2 = 26.6 inches
So the circumference of the tire is 26.6*pi = 83.6 inches
To travel 175 mph, the tire has to be rotating at (175*63360)/83.6 = 132,632 rph = 2210 rpm

From there, you have to multiple by the axle ratio which has been around 3.42:1 on Corvettes. If the tach was 4300 rpm, then you can divide that by the effective transmission output of 3.42.
4300/3.42 = 1257 rpm

1257 / 2210 = 0.57 gear ratio

Wikipedia lists the gear ratios on a 2004 Z06 Vette:
Gear Ratio
1st gear 2.97:1
2nd gear 2.07:1
3rd gear 1.43:1
4th gear 1.00:1
5th gear 0.84:1
6th gear 0.56:1
reverse -3.38:1

Hey, we now know that Scottsdale is an honest man, and we also know that he was probably in 6th gear going 175mph!

He could have probably gone 175 even in 5th gear at 6300 rpms, but he would have been either redlining or about to redline.

That some savvy calculations there JC. Thanks.

By the way #1 ... I've never doubted Scottsdale's honesty.

By the way #2 ... pi aren't square. Cornbread are square. Pi are round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT