ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy New Year fellas. Buster and I just got back from a celebratory walk. It was special.

Wufee

Sooner starter
Dec 12, 2001
Dar got back from Orlando this morning and came in with a bad cold. So we canceled our Mahogany’s reservation and she went to bed early. I told her that we’d make it up when she felt better.

I’ve known for weeks that I was going to have this walk, without any concern about the weather. And I also knew that it’d be after midnight.

So Buster and I just relaxed, during the evening, and I got in a little YouTube time. I even dozed off for about half an hour. As if that’s some kind of surprise.

Well, midnight rolls around and I hear some fireworks. It’s then I know that Baby 2020 has entered my life. I pray for a few minutes and tell Buster to get his ass up and get ready. He knows because he gets up and goes into his hyper mode.

I get up and go to my special man cave and decide on a Glock 19 as my carry and slipped my favorite sap in my pocket.

I dress appropriately, hook up Buster, and walk out the door. Even before we got to the street, he took his first piss. I just grin at him.

We walk to the street and stop (I do this before every walk). I look all around , savoring and sizing up the night.

Their is no wind blowing. I hear music , that’s a few blocks away. Obviously, some people still partying. Otherwise, the night is crystal clear and free of any other sounds.

I gaze into the heavens and it’s absolutely spectacular. Not a cloud in the sky and the stars are brilliant. I continue looking and my eyes settle on the brightest.

While looking at it, I think of Christmas, just passed and say to Buster, could that be my Christmas star. I enjoy that thought for a few minutes.

Finally. I say out loud, all right old dog, time to hit the road. We start heading north and he works in another piss.

On this special night, we’re not in a hurry. I’m enjoying the remaining Christmas lights, that are still lighting up the night and other remnants of a precious Christmas season.

We’d got about a half mile from the house, when a car pulls up and stops,about a half block ahead of me. It sits there a few seconds, then a dude gets out of the backseat and slowly walks to a sidewalk.

By then, I’m about 50’ away, and the car drives away. The guy is still standing there, swaying a bit . He hasn’t noticed me yet and Buster was sniffing at a mail box.

I’m on the same side of the street, as this guy and he still hasn’t noticed me. So I’m thinking I need to make him aware of me before I get any closer.

So I speak out, Happy New Year, neighbor. Buster finally sees him and starts raising a little hell.

The guy slowly turns around and faces me just looks at me. I’ve stopped and am looking at him and think, well crap, this dudes drunk.

After a long 5 to 10 seconds, he finally speaks. He says, well happy new year to you too, old timer.

So I grin and say , you sure got that right, as I walk up to him. He’s a 45ish guy and very pleasant and about 85% drunk lol.

We shoot the shit for a bit and Buster ends up liking him. I finally say that I need to get on down the road. But I ask him if he could use some help getting in the house. He smiles and says, nah, I’m good but thanks. I watch him weave his way to his front door, then I turn and leave.

Buster and continue walking for awhile, continuing to enjoy the lights and the quiet, very private night.

We swing around and head back towards our wonderful hone. I have a destination in mind. A neighbor has a park bench sitting up under a wizened old Oak. We have permission to use it anytime.

We get there and I sit down. After Buster pisses on the tree, he jumps up on my lap and lays down. We went a good distance and he’s not getting any younger.

Anyway, for the last several days, building up to New Years, I’ve been thinking a lot from an introspective stand point.

As I’m sitting there, with my special friend, I’m completely aware of this special time of my life. We’ve just lived thru and said goodbye to a decade of time. It has slipped into the portals of history, taking with it, amazing events and significant happenings.

I lost both my parents but on the other hand, I’ve seen grandkids growing into outstanding young people.

But probably, pretty close to the top of the list, was what happened in 2012. I was diagnosed with high risk prostate cancer. Within a week my Dr had me at MD Anderson, in Houston. Within a few days , they scheduled me for surgery. I forget the name of the robotic technique they used, but it was amazing .

But during all this process and procedure, I was diagnosed with chronic leukemia, also with a high risk factor., This risk factor voided tradition treatments being effective against my version of this disease.

So there a sat in 2012, with a pretty weak hand and maybe 5 years..

So here I’m sitting on a bench on January 1, 2020. The surgery was successful and I’ve been participating in a clinical that pushed back the leukemia , where it can only be detected, in trace amounts, in my bone marrow.

So here I sit, having just enjoyed my 2nd most favorite Christmas and Holiday season.

Now I’m kicking off a new year and a new decade. What will life bring me and mine. Will I be here next Christmas? Will I celebrate the next new decade?

I’m planning on it, but who knows. I can tell you , in all certainty, that if I check out tomorrow, I’ve gotten my full value and have zero regrets.

Please, don’t interpret these musing as morbid, in any form or fashion.

I’m looking forward, in eager anticipation , to this new year and beyond. I love and embrace each day, gleefully seeking the adventures , that it will bring.

Fellas, each one of us has no assurances of another hour. So don’t waste it.

So here I sit, at 77 and full of stories to tell and life to live. Fellas, I live with no fear about today or tomorrow.

I’m a blessed man and I know it.

Take care my young friends and let’s live a raucous 2020.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News