ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brent V. as Miami Coaching Candidate...

Man, I just can't imagine this would be a culture fit. Venebles seems too disciplined and midwestern for the type of athlete that would consider miami.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Good reads, Senior. I would lean more towards Mark Stoops rather than Brent if it was up to me. Boy, Mark sounds more and more like Bob everyday. He even has that "media stare". Butch Davis and Kiffin are interesting picks, too.

I really don't think Miami would be an upgrade when compared to present day Kentucky. Mark Stoops can do much better if he just waits it out a few years.

I don't know, BW. Miami just MAY be a sleeping giant if the right guy got a chance at the right time. Basically, it's s crap shoot....to your point.

I don't know, BW. Miami just MAY be a sleeping giant if the right guy got a chance at the right time. Basically, it's s crap shoot....to your point.
Just seems like such a long term project and many have already tried and failed. I personally think they are going to be hard pressed to find a top notch coach...never know though

Just seems like such a long term project and many have already tried and failed. I personally think they are going to be hard pressed to find a top notch coach...never know though

Totally agree that it will be a big deal if Miami gets a top notch coach, but none of the coaches mentioned in the link are what I would say are top notch yet. Stoops, Davis, Kiffin or Brent haven't yet proved they can succeed as head coach Big Time except Butch Davis but he has some luggage. I just think Miami COULD be a job worth taking a chance on for any of these guys. Risky yet maybe worth it given Miami's past success. BWT, I hate Miami so I'm not pulling for its return, but I find it interesting that these guys are being mentioned for the job.

Last edited:
If Jimmy "Hairspray" Johnson can make a go of it at Miami, Mark Stoops or Brent Venables can too.

They just needs a billionaire backer. For recruiting expenses. UTerus has 9 of them.

I think it would be a mistake for him. They haven't been very successful in 10 years or so. There must be something toxic there and unless the place is willing to give him total control and 3 years, I wouldn't go there.

If BV is offered the U of M job and turns it down, he's a fool. Everyone always says to wait for the 'perfect job' to come along. Mike Stoops waited 5 years here...for Arizona?

Take the job and re-build Miami. It's the ACC...Miami could win a championship every year with the right person.

Reactions: Schoonerman
BV is likely the best recruiter at OU of the Stoops era. He could recruit South Florida. Ask Striker.

I was ripping on the thugs who would play at The U, not trying to short Venebles. In my mind, I think of Miami gold teef badbois and Venebles doesn't seem the type to tolerate nonsense. But I have no way of knowing that.

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
Butch Davis had them on the right track by clamping down on the nastiness and recruited the guys that Coker coached to an NC. I believe BV is at least that good, though I agree that Miami is different deal than it used to be.

I would be pretty surprised if Miami did not go with HC experience, though I believe they would be better off with a great assistant.

I agree BV would be a good coach for Miami. But didn't I read somewhere that his ideal job was going back to KState. And Snyder can't have that many years left. Can he?

I agree BV would be a good coach for Miami. But didn't I read somewhere that his ideal job was going back to KState. And Snyder can't have that many years left. Can he?

Great point. I'm not so sure I would be happy with that if it happened (KSU).

agreed...don't want BW at KSU.

I'm not jumping on the KSU bang wagon, but I think it would be cool for Brent to get the HC job at his old school and for one of Bob's favorite assistants to have success there. I liked it when Mangino was at Kansas and succeeding. The Big 12 needs successful teams. The more, the better. I think the KSU job may open up this year. Just a gut feeling. But didn't KSU shut down any interest in Brent once when there was an opening? I seem to remember that.

I'm not jumping on the KSU bang wagon, but I think it would be cool for Brent to get the HC job at his old school and for one of Bob's favorite assistants to have success there. I liked it when Mangino was at Kansas and succeeding. The Big 12 needs successful teams. The more, the better. I think the KSU job may open up this year. Just a gut feeling. But didn't KSU shut down any interest in Brent once when there was an opening? I seem to remember that.

Okla...How about collaborating with me on a New Theme Song? I've about worn out this Oldie, but Goodie...:D

Miami is a mirror image of Tulsa. Same size, same enrollment, same football budget. Tulsa used to be a power in the 50's and 60's. Now Miami is destined for that role as well. It wont be long until South Florida and Florida Atlantic are every year winners over Miami. The U is dead.

I'm thinking Miami would be a good job for Venables and with the talent in south/central Florida, he could have the competitive in the ACC in not time. However, I'm not sure if they'll go for someone without head coaching experience. Personally, I despise Miami, so I pray they don't offer Venables. And I would not be surprised if they re-hired Butch Davis, baggage and all (as someone pointed out earlier). Venable's name will be on some of the lists, such Va Tech, USC and South Carolina, but I don't see any of them going with a new HC either.

I've heard speculation where the KSU job is going to Snyder's son, so Brent will be strongly considered as HC, but the deal may already be done to hand it over to Snyder's son. Having played and coached at KSU under Snyder and having coached with Stoops and Sweeney, I think they'd be making a big mistake if they don't make Venables an offer. And as someone (Oklablablablah?) said, it would be great for the B12 if Venables came in and got them back to winning regularly and strengthening the conference.

With so many job openings announced and others coming at the end of the season, there will be lots of dominoes falling. Hopefully he'll land at a place that will allow him to be successful right away.

[QUOTE="Schoonerman, post: 492806, member.
And as someone (Oklablablablah?) said, it would be great for the B12 if Venables came in and got them back to winning regularly and strengthening the conference.

Ha, Oklablablabla. I haven't been referred to by that handle in along time. The guy that put that name on me was poster from New Jersey that got upset with me one night for "having two favorite teams", which isn't really the case. I wonder what ever happened to him. He was a real head case.

And I did post and do think that KSU would be good for Brent, KSU and the Big 12. I would like to see BV leading the Wildcats in 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schoonerman
I don't want Barkingwater at KSU either.
;)

tumblr_ms5sntkgMQ1rw2rgko1_250.gif

With TCU, Baylor and Briles, OSU with Gundy, and UT will not be down for long, not sure how we need KState to up the conference competitiveness. Looks plenty competitive now.

OU, TCU, OSU, Baylor and Texas are competing for the conference championship and KSU needs to be in that circle to give the conference at least six the current membership a shot. Less than half weaken the conference, IMO. If OU can't play against 4 or 5 tough conference teams in the B12, there is no reason to jump to the SEC as some have suggested. Eventually Texas will compete.

I'm thinking Miami would be a good job for Venables and with the talent in south/central Florida, he could have the competitive in the ACC in not time. However, I'm not sure if they'll go for someone without head coaching experience. Personally, I despise Miami, so I pray they don't offer Venables. And I would not be surprised if they re-hired Butch Davis, baggage and all (as someone pointed out earlier). Venable's name will be on some of the lists, such Va Tech, USC and South Carolina, but I don't see any of them going with a new HC either.

I've heard speculation where the KSU job is going to Snyder's son, so Brent will be strongly considered as HC, but the deal may already be done to hand it over to Snyder's son. Having played and coached at KSU under Snyder and having coached with Stoops and Sweeney, I think they'd be making a big mistake if they don't make Venables an offer. And as someone (Oklablablablah?) said, it would be great for the B12 if Venables came in and got them back to winning regularly and strengthening the conference.

With so many job openings announced and others coming at the end of the season, there will be lots of dominoes falling. Hopefully he'll land at a place that will allow him to be successful right away.

Miami is a mirror image of Tulsa. Same size, same enrollment, same football budget. Tulsa used to be a power in the 50's and 60's. Now Miami is destined for that role as well. It wont be long until South Florida and Florida Atlantic are every year winners over Miami. The U is dead.

Well, not quite. Miami has five national titles. And the number one reason is because they have one of the top three pockets of high school talent in America a bicycle ride from their athletic facilities.

Oh, and there's the beach. They have lots of issues and have to cheat to win. But for a while, they cheated really well and a lot of the machine of former and present pro players who like to, uh, help out financially with recruits.

I love TU but da U they ain't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT