ADVERTISEMENT

*OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA VERSUS BAYLOR GAME THREAD*

The guys here, complaining about coaches mystifies me. When you're lines are getting whipped, you can adjust all you want. You gotta whip somebody and that didn't happen much today. Against a good defense, OUr receiving corps could barely get open. Including 17, we hardly have a receiver who the defense really has to fear. He's a terrific number two, but an average number one. His touchdown catch, totally free looked a little shaky.

We are a decent college football team. Probably barely in the top half of the Big XI, which as some many of you complain about, ain't exactly the top league in the country. On defense, we don't have a real difference maker at any level. Today, we might have seen one of Ogwegbu's best games. But then he got hurt.

A very nice interception by Billy, but he's still not a great tackler. Unltimately, Raym's penalty just before the half was crucial. It shoved us back to a 55-yard FG, which would have been good from 40. OUr players jumped offsides on third down. OUr OL and TE jumped snap counts at home, when Baylor didn't have those problems in the noise.

Baylor wasn't quite as good at QB as we are, but they got decent pressure without blitzing, and we had to blitz mostly to get it. WHen we blitzed, they made us play. The only quibbling I'd have with any coaching decision, was running Marcus Major on 4th down. Everything else was about their players wining the big downs, and OUr players didn't perform then. Especially four 4th down plays today ALL went Baylor's way. They played smarter, tougher and cleaner than we did.

This is likely a 7-5 bowl team with a mediocre bowl game.

The guys here, complaining about coaches mystifies me. When you're lines are getting whipped, you can adjust all you want. You gotta whip somebody and that didn't happen much today. Against a good defense, OUr receiving corps could barely get open. Including 17, we hardly have a receiver who the defense really has to fear. He's a terrific number two, but an average number one. His touchdown catch, totally free looked a little shaky.

We are a decent college football team. Probably barely in the top half of the Big XI, which as some many of you complain about, ain't exactly the top league in the country. On defense, we don't have a real difference maker at any level. Today, we might have seen one of Ogwegbu's best games. But then he got hurt.

A very nice interception by Billy, but he's still not a great tackler. Unltimately, Raym's penalty just before the half was crucial. It shoved us back to a 55-yard FG, which would have been good from 40. OUr players jumped offsides on third down. OUr OL and TE jumped snap counts at home, when Baylor didn't have those problems in the noise.

Baylor wasn't quite as good at QB as we are, but they got decent pressure without blitzing, and we had to blitz mostly to get it. WHen we blitzed, they made us play. The only quibbling I'd have with any coaching decision, was running Marcus Major on 4th down. Everything else was about their players wining the big downs, and OUr players didn't perform then. Especially four 4th down plays today ALL went Baylor's way. They played smarter, tougher and cleaner than we did.

Good post but I am not even sure 7 wins is going to happen. The game in Mogantown next week is no give-me game. OSU after that and then the trip to Lubbock. I suspect OU wins at least one of those to at least get bowl eligible. However I sure wouldnt lay any money on it.

I have faith in the coaching staff that they will get OU ready for the SEC but this is not going to be an easy fix for them. If OU wins 2 of last 3 I would be excited and if they win all 3 and the bowl game to close out the season with 4 straight win I will be super excited.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Good post but I am not even sure 7 wins is going to happen. The game in Mogantown next week is no give-me game. OSU after that and then the trip to Lubbock. I suspect OU wins at least one of those to at least get bowl eligible. However I sure wouldnt lay any money on it.

I have faith in the coaching staff that they will get OU ready for the SEC but this is not going to be an easy fix for them. If OU wins 2 of last 3 I would be excited and if they win all 3 and the bowl game to close out the season with 4 straight win I will be super excited.
Who here expected a better season. 🤣

Didn’t watch the game but followed the game thread. I bet if I were to see the replay I would wonder why all the belly aching. Guys, the Sooners players and coaches can’t be as bad as your posts indicate. It was a tight game based on the final score. I’m taking Plaino and CT’s posts as a more realistic viewpoint. Oh, and BOOMER SOONER.

edit: I assume there was a woman play by play? If so, I think ESPN Plus should reconsider their thinking if they want this frigging deal to work.

Last edited:

Plaino, I've given you alot of grief in the past for defending certain coaches. But this time around, I 100% agree with you. This staff isn't even through it's first season, and it's unreal how many OU "fans" are ready to jump ship with this staff.
I think it's a by-product of just how spoiled us OU fans have been the last 20+ years. Pretty clear alot of OU "fans" can't handle a rebuilding year.

Plaino, I've given you alot of grief in the past for defending certain coaches. But this time around, I 100% agree with you. This staff isn't even through it's first season, and it's unreal how many OU "fans" are ready to jump ship with this staff.
I think it's a by-product of just how spoiled us OU fans have been the last 20+ years. Pretty clear alot of OU "fans" can't handle a rebuilding year.
Exactly, Billy.

I really can't even get mad about anything this year because this is pretty much what I expected this season. Win some but probably lose several as well. We will be back in time for our SEC debut. Lets just have fun beating okie state and call it a year
A work in progress, we'll be fine. 👍

Reactions: BillyRay
Who here expected a better season. 🤣
I think a bunch of us said that it would be a disaster if OUr only quarterback got hurt. That changed the season. And he's not quite as good as portrayed. We just don't have any difference makers on either side of the ball. And a new system on both sides of the ball. Both systems are complicated

If we win three more, I'll be okay with it.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I think a bunch of us said that it would be a disaster if OUr only quarterback got hurt. That changed the season. And he's not quite as good as portrayed. We just don't have any difference makers on either side of the ball. And a new system on both sides of the ball. Both systems are complicated

If we win three more, I'll be okay with it.
Jackson's arriving, defensive recruits are gonna produce. Brent knows the game.

What? A lot of you guys were saying OU wasn't going to miss a beat, that Venables was an upgrade from Riley, and that OU was going to win the Big 12 championship and go to the playoff this year.
No, I expected we jump out of the gate with the move to the sec with Brents hire. It'll take a season or two. I said it from day one and I believe it to this day. Sooners are gonna take the sec by storm. Bank it!

Last edited:
We’ve got some kids who need to decide to pull their head out of their a$$ and learn what their individual responsibilities are on each call or they need to take the bench.

it does not take this long to learn a new system at this level, I don’t care how complicated.

We’ve got some kids who need to decide to pull their head out of their a$$ and learn what their individual responsibilities are on each call or they need to take the bench.

it does not take this long to learn a new system at this level, I don’t care how complicated.
I agree brother. I believe Brent's gonna unleash the crackens next season. We're loaded my man.

What? A lot of you guys were saying OU wasn't going to miss a beat, that Venables was an upgrade from Riley, and that OU was going to win the Big 12 championship and go to the playoff this year.
The hype every year is self inflicted mostly, some of us never learn. Someone always brings up the Spoiled Fans every Season 🤣. I have not been spoiled since 2000. Felt like a Red Headed Step Child ever since.
Need and have needed studs for yrs on the Defense, this mess didn't happen overnight and will take yrs to fix, also need a new DC after this season. Roof aint cutting it and my reaction was wth when he was hired. The Defensive woes have grown old and if not fixed we will get our arses handed to us in the SEC. Also our team and traveling fans will see what a Hostile Environment is like in the SEC, OU home games won't scare any SEC Opponents. My honest opinion, gonna be a long rebuild. Buckle up and hopefully Joe made the right hire. Time is not on our side right now.

And even much of the national media jumped on the OU bandwagon with preseason rankings in the top ten and/or in the CFB playoffs.... after the roster was poached by Riley, exits in the transfer portal, early exits to the NFL and graduations. And not to mention a very weak defensive talent level that Venables inherited.
I will admit I didn't see the season going this bad but it is what it is and what it's going to be. Focus now is the future with Venables recruiting going extremely well so far.
How would any other coach who was considered to replace The Poacher have done better with this year's talent?
This team simply is not very good and now is fighting for its bowl bid life with three games remaining.

Don’t worry about OSU. We’re done. We won’t have any players left by the time we come to Norman

The hype every year is self inflicted mostly, some of us never learn. Someone always brings up the Spoiled Fans every Season 🤣. I have not been spoiled since 2000. Felt like a Red Headed Step Child ever since.
Need and have needed studs for yrs on the Defense, this mess didn't happen overnight and will take yrs to fix, also need a new DC after this season. Roof aint cutting it and my reaction was wth when he was hired. The Defensive woes have grown old and if not fixed we will get our arses handed to us in the SEC. Also our team and traveling fans will see what a Hostile Environment is like in the SEC, OU home games won't scare any SEC Opponents. My honest opinion, gonna be a long rebuild. Buckle up and hopefully Joe made the right hire. Time is not on our side right now.
Bob's first years was like this one. His second year was better. It was just different back then. The fan base was thrilled with 7-5.

First was Jim MacKenzie reviving OU after the 1960-65 seasons.
Then there was Bob Stoops reviving OU after a decade of irrelevance (1989-1998).
Now, there is Brent Venables reviving OU after Riley's departure.
Of the three, I believe Venables had the most demanding challenge ahead of him. The other two coaches had hungrier teams and had a better talent base to work with.
Throw in the overall improvement of the Big 12 this year followed by entry into the SEC, and Venables faces a very difficult task.
Venables also must restore OU's defensive culture, which evidently will take 2-3 years along with some growing pains. Many OU fans disregard this fact.
Then there's the transfer portal and the NIL to weave through. I believe these two things have transformed CFB into a "hired gun" or "revolving door" talent grab. I don't like this method of getting talent, at least to the extent it's currently carried out.

When Bob Stoops was hired, he had a talented base to the team. He also had more than two months before signing day, and they found three terrific quarterbacks to join a team that had none. Josh Heupel was the older starter, but Nate Hybl and Jason White were quality quarterbacks who lasted a total of six years.

Brent had less than two weeks til signing day. The did an admirable recruiting job, taking a commitment list depleted by TBOW's raiding and insincerity and somehow managed a top ten class. But with only one quarterback of immediate quality, who got hurt in game 5, they had their weaknesses badly exposed. And still.

I'm not expecting Brent to produce an NC next season, but it would be no less challenging than what Bob accomplished. The 2000 NC happened for a lot of reasons, but luck had a lot to do with it. That team had zero OL depth, but went through the season somehow with no OL injuries. That team had a lot of other breaks, and because of Bob's insights, was the only P6 team in the country running a spread offense. Now everybody runs it, outside of the service academies.

We have a long road to be great again. And I think Brent had made a couple of key mistakes. But everybody does. And I think he is the kind of leader that will make us great again. It's just a different process for a lot of reasons. Butting heads with UT and A&M's NIL resources will be challenging.

Some of us can admit we were wrong. I was pretty confident that I bet an individual at work OU would win at least 10 games.

I have no issue with being wrong but I still believe BV is an upgrade from Riley. Even if he doesnt pan out BV has more class about him than Riley will ever have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT