ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas and Lincoln Riley (UPDATE 5:35 pm)

Carey Murdock

Sooner starter
Staff
Dec 6, 2001
Norman, OK
www.soonerscoop.com
UPDATE (5:35 pm): The University of Oklahoma official football account tweeted this in response to the reports.

ORIGINAL (4:33 pm):

Guys,

We had been hearing some smoke about North Texas pursuing Lincoln Riley for a couple of weeks but honestly didn't think a lot of it. We still don't to be honest. I think it's probably good that it's out there because OU can be aggressive in keeping Lincoln around and make sure the only way he leaves OU is if it's for a legit Power 5 job or something close to that.

I think Lincoln is young enough he's not going to rush into a job just for the sake of having a head coaching job.

I think this North Texas job could end up going to a young coach that has some Tech/Leach connection in the past. Those guys would be more like a Seth Littrell who is now at North Carolina as offensive assistant. Sonny Cumbie is another guy who would be a more serious candidate for that job from what we're hearing.

You could also look at a young guy like Eric Morris at Texas Tech who is a co-coordinator there. Might be too early for him to get involved in a job like that.

Riley leaving would be kind of like Doug Meachem leaving TCU. They both have better jobs as coordinators at high profile programs than being head coaches at a place like North Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.