NFL Sooner Minicamp Blurbs (NFC)

OUBeliever

Sooner starter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Tulsa, OK
1. Lane Johnson reveals full extent of his injuries last season
By Andrew Kulp June 12, 2019 9:00 AM
It turns out Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson has an explanation for the dip in performance in 2018 — not that he’s making any excuses.
Johnson returned to the field for a mandatory minicamp on Tuesday, the first time he practiced with the team this offseason, though the absence was for good reason. The two-time Pro Bowl selection revealed he was still working his way back from a pair of injuries that had limited him for much of the previous season.
“Last year I played with a Grade 2 MCL (sprain) and a high ankle (sprain) in my left leg, so basically I was just trying to get healthy and get ready for the season,” Johnson said.
It should be noted he was with the team for aspects of OTAs despite skipping practices.
Traditionally very durable, Johnson was on and off the injury report throughout the season, and even missed one game due to the MCL. However, nobody outside the NovaCare Complex knew the full extent to which he was laboring.
“It happened early,” said Johnson. “The high ankle happened (Week 5), and then the MCL happened (Week 8).
“I didn’t really practice all year.”
One season earlier, Johnson was arguably the best offensive tackle, if not the best offensive lineman in the entire NFL. He earned first-team All-Pro honors while anchoring the Eagles’ front on the way to the franchise’s first Super Bowl championship.
Yet, Johnson didn’t look quite the same at times last season. He still played well enough to reach his second consecutive Pro Bowl, albeit as an alternate, but was not nearly as dominant.
Nearly five full months after the Eagles were eliminated from the playoffs, Johnson finally admitted he wasn’t 100 percent for much of the season.
“Took away a lot of power,” Johnson said of the injuries. “Just stuff I could normally do.”
When asked why he didn’t disclose the injuries as a way to deflect blame for the occasional bad snap, Johnson said, “That’s the game.”
“Because during the year, it really doesn’t count. The only thing that counts is I just wanted to be there for my team. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose. Obviously there’s some plays you’d like to have back, but moving forward is the best you can do.”
Johnson has established himself as a premier right tackle and is only 29, so there’s no reason to expect last season’s slide is permanent.
“That was the first year I really had to deal with any type of stuff like that,” Johnson said. “Other than that, I feel recovered now; I feel healthy and I feel good.”

2. Giants' Sterling Shepard: Looks comfortable outside
by RotoWire Staff
Jun 28, 2019 at 11:48 am ET
Shepard was dominant at June minicamp, NJ.com's Matt Lombardo reports.
Signed to a four-year, $41 million extension this offseason, Shepard is preparing to take more snaps outside in an effort to accommodate Golden Tate. The 25-year-old receiver reportedly looked quite comfortable at minicamp, repeatedly connecting with Eli Manning on downfield passes. Shepard appears to have moved past the minor wrist injury that held him out of a practice at the beginning of the month.

3. How good can Sterling Shepard be?
Last season, Giants wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert revealed what he believed what Sterling's presence means within this locker room, within this team and for this franchise.
"I told my guys early on in camp – if I had to go into a fight with one of you guys in the room, Sterling would be the one I would take with me," Tolbert said. "He is a football playing Jesse, as they would say in the south. He’s tough, he’s smart, he’s feisty, it means something to him."
Sterling, 25, has garnered rave reviews from the coaching staff and teammates for his physicality and willingness to engage defenders downfield. Two of those blocks last year led to long runs for Saquon Barkley against the Redskins in December, including Barkley's 78-yard touchdown jaunt that highlighted one of the Giants' five victories.
With Odell Beckham Jr. now in Cleveland and veteran Golden Tate having come aboard in free agency, the Giants committed $41 million to Shepard as part of a four-year extension that clearly makes him a centerpiece of the offense moving forward.
"Super competitive, Sterling can catch the ball in a crowd, and those are two of the things that make him unique,” Giants coach Pat Shurmur told NorthJersey.com and USA TODAY Network Northeast. “He certainly has all the skill and ability to play the position at a high level, but his spirit, that really sets him apart.”
Shepard finished with 66 catches for 872 yards and four touchdowns last season. He is an ascending player with a chance to prove to the rest of the league he is a lot more valuable than the numbers may show, provided the Giants can get back to winning.
"I know what I can do. The thing is, I’ve got to go out there and be me, not try to be anybody else, and I do this for my family," Sterling said. "I feel like I’ve had great success going out there and just being Sterling Shepard, and that’s what I’m going to continue to do. Always works out well for me, so I’m not going to change now.”

4. Three numbers worth considering when looking at the Redskins and Trent Williams
By Peter Hailey June 27, 2019 8:00 AM
It's certainly possible that the Redskins and Trent Williams fix their issues in the next few weeks, but as of now, it feels like late June and early July will be a period of silence for this storyline.
You can bet both sides are pondering their options, though, and will be considering just about everything when it comes to how they'll approach resolving the problem or moving on from one another.
With that in mind, here are three numbers that could very much factor into this dilemma and how it ultimately ends.

The left tackle's base salary for the 2019 season is $11 million. When you divide that by 16, you'll arrive at how much he's slated to make per game for Washington this year: $687,500.
It appears that Williams has most of the leverage as of now. The options behind him are quite dreadful (that'll be covered in the next number), the franchise just drafted their potential star QB and the offense will rely heavily on the running game. All of those are reasons why Washington should be looking to appease the Pro Bowler.
However, if the Redskins don't want to bend, they can merely wait No. 71 out and see how serious he is about his reported vow to never play in D.C. again.
It's a lot easier to take that stance in the summer, where at most he'll lose some dollars in fines for not showing up to offseason work. When he starts costing himself six figures a week, though, that could change his mindset very quickly.

The 'Skins have other tackles on the roster, but obviously — really, really obviously — none of them look like close to suitable fill-ins for Williams.
Ereck Flowers received much of the work at OTAs and minicamp at left tackle, and though he's supposed to be trying to transition to guard, he currently looks like he'd be in serious consideration to play there in the regular season if Williams doesn't show or is moved.
Well, during his time starting with the Giants (he finished 2018 with the Jaguars, but was with New York for three-plus campaigns), Flowers allowed a pressure on 9.45-percent of his pass blocking snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. Since 2006, PFF has evaluated 275 offensive lineman with at least 1,800 pass blocking snaps. Flowers' pressure rate is the worst out of those 275.
That's justtttttt a bit worrisome.

The first number is one that favors the organization, while the second is one that's advantageous to the player. This third one, meanwhile, affects both.
In the past four seasons, Williams has missed 15 contests. The soon-to-be 31-year-old has battled with numerous injuries as well as a drug suspension in that time, both of which have prevented him from always starting for the O-line.
If the only solution to this thing is money, like many are suggesting, the Redskins have to decide how much they're willing to give him. Williams is still a force as a lineman, but he's aging and may simply be past the point of being able to string together a 16-game schedule. What price can they pay for that?
Williams, on the other hand, will look at that number as reason why he should hold out for more money and better medical treatment from Washington. The NFL is a league where guaranteed money is hard to come by and he's running out of it on his current deal. He won't want to risk getting hurt again before he has more cash on his side.

5. [Skins HC] Gruden once again praised running back Samaje Perine, who has been getting the bulk of the carries. Perine's future seems tied to Derrius Guice's recovery. If Guice and Adrian Peterson are both healthy in Week 1, it's hard to see how any carries are left on the table. If Guice is still recovering, it's not unthinkable that Perine gets some run. Gruden referred to Perine as "really improved."

6. Do the Washington Redskins need Samaje Perine?
Zachary Neel 6/25/2019
Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden has been impressed with running back Samaje Perine this offseason, consistently offering up praise for the young back who has at times struggled to find a place in the league.
So far this offseason, Gruden has said the third-year back has been the most impressive, showing that he can make a difference for the offense this year. However, the question begs to be asked: Will he even get the chance?
The Redskins are loaded in the backfield. Heading up the depth chart is veteran All-Pro Arian Peterson, with hopeful second-year standout Derrius Guice looking to split the carries. Chris Thompson has proven to be a serviceable third-down back when healthy, and Washington also drafted former Heisman finalist Bryce Love this year, who should hopefully return from injury before the year's end.
So where does Perine fit into all of that?
"He's been out here taking all the reps. He's really improved in not only the running game but also in the passing game," said Gruden, via the Washington Post . "He's a powerful running back, and he has not had the opportunities that he probably deserves or needs."
Just because Gruden admits Perine hasn't had the opportunities he deserves doesn't mean he's is going to do anything to change the back's workload. And why should he? If the running game holds strong throughout the 2019 season without Perine getting a major share of the touches, then Gruden needn't be hard-pressed to give him a look.
However, on the off-chance that Perine does get the nod to take a snap here or there, he had better make the most of it, or he could be looking at a new team in the future.

7. Wednesday Walkthroughs: Who will be the Packers’ surprise preseason star in 2019?
APC writers predict who will stand out in the preseason.
By Jon Meerdink, Peter_Bukowski, Shawn Wagner, PaulNoonan, Evan "Tex" Western, and Matub Jul 3, 2019
Despite the daily drama of training camp, most NFL teams have a pretty good idea of who will be on their final 53 man roster before their first practice even begins. Between returning veterans, free agent signings, and draft picks, there really aren’t that many roster spots open for competition in a given year.
But that never slows any speculation over which lower-end player could make a surprise run for the roster. After all, there is a long-established history of players in Green Bay rising from relative obscurity to earn a spot, whether they be undrafted free agents, practice squad holdovers, or veterans on their last shot in the NFL.
Here’s our look at a few less-heralded players who could star in this year’s preseason.

Peter Bukowski - Curtis Bolton, LB
In order to be a breakout star, a couple of things need to be in play: The most important is opportunity and Bolton should get it with the Packers perilously thin at inside linebacker. After Oren Burks and Blake Martinez, it’s James Crawford and Ty Summers who all seem likely to make the roster. That could leave major playing time for Bolton who has the speed to make an impact on these backup offenses he’ll face.
He fell in the draft because of size (6-foot, 218) and just one year of production at Oklahoma, but his speed and fluidity should give him a chance to shine against third-string quarterbacks staring down targets and the heavy-footed running backs on the field in the second half of preseason games.
Bolton is a dark horse not just to be a preseason star, but to find a way onto this team given the depth at the position and potential special teams play given his physical traits.

8. The [Vikings OL] third unit was, from left to right, Storm Norton, John Keenoy, Cornelius Edison, Dru Samia and Olisaemeka Udoh.

9. [Panthers RT] "Taylor Moton played at such a high level at right tackle, I think that you would preferably like to keep him at right tackle," said Hurney on WFNZ's The Mac Attack in May. "Where Daryl Williams fits, whether it's left guard, whether it's one of the tackle spots ... Daryl Williams has so much flexibility, we'll just see how things work out. But I think we'll have a line that is big and physical and tough. Has an athletic center. And that's really the blueprint of how we want to build our offensive line."

10. 2019 Carolina Panthers Player Previews: Gerald McCoy
BySteven Taranto - Jul 1, 2:30 PM
As early as the beginning of May, the following sequence of words seemed unimaginable, if not outright ridiculous: Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.
For many years, McCoy had served as a direct antagonist to the Panthers, opposing them in the NFC South as a member of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. But despite the fact that McCoy had made six Pro Bowls and earned four All-Pro nods on his way to becoming one of the NFL's top interior defensive linemen of the 2010s and one of the best players in the history of his team, the Bucs opted to make him expendable in the interest of clearing space towards their salary cap. Thus sparking a free agency race that few thought the Panthers stood any chance of winning.
But after emerging as a third party, the Panthers swooped in and lured McCoy away, signing him to a one-year contract in an upset of the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Ravens. Completely changing not just their defensive line, but also their entire outlook on the season to come - particularly as they try to re-take their division from the two-time and defending champion New Orleans Saints.
"(The Saints are) known to have a great offense. And in order to take them out, you gotta have a great defense," said McCoy during his introductory press conference. "And the Carolina Panthers have been known to have a great defense. And I just want to add to that. And I truly believe with the addition of me and all the pieces that are already here, we've got a great shot."
The addition of McCoy alone, on paper, gives the Panthers perhaps the most fearsome interior defensive line in the entire league: Combined with Kawann Short and Dontari Poe, McCoy now gives the Panthers' defensive tackle group a combined total of 10 Pro Bowls, six All-Pro honors, and 103.5 career sacks. Not only that, but Short and Poe both give the Panthers great flexibility in exactly how they can use McCoy.
"What he does is he’s a very good complement to K.K.," head coach Ron Rivera told the Panthers' official website. "He’s a different player than Poe; he’s a pass rush type of guy that’s going to get vertical quickly. He’s going to command some double teams, which is going to take some of the pressure off of K.K. as well."
With Short and Poe already established as top-tier talent among defensive tackles, McCoy comes to the Panthers as an "extra" piece - a remarkable change from his time in Tampa Bay, where he was often expected to be the piece on usually milquetoast defenses. At 31 years old and entering his 10th NFL season, there is reason to believe that McCoy will be used in a way that will not only keep him fresh, but allow the Panthers to best take advantage of his abilities as a pass rusher - which are well-established, as he has a total of 54.5 career sacks.
Beyond the interior of the defensive line, however, McCoy's presence both on the field and in the Panthers' locker room alone raises expectations for not just the defense, but for the team as a whole: In making his free agency decision, McCoy made it clear that he sought to join a contender after never making the playoffs with the Buccaneers. And by joining the Panthers over a playoff team in the Ravens and a sexy offseason pick in the Browns, some questioned McCoy's motives - suggesting that his move to join the Panthers was more about exacting vengeance on the Buccaneers than it was about winning.
But when addressing the media for the first time as a Panther, McCoy made it known that "every ounce" of him believes that the Panthers are contenders, thanks to both the players that are now his teammates and the coaching staff that now oversees him.
"I know when you have a bunch of like-minded men for one common goal, with a leader like Coach Rivera, it's gonna be hard to stop them," said McCoy. "The culture that's set here is set in stone. So getting to the playoffs and winning a (Super Bowl) ring, I don't think you really need to talk about that. Because you know who you're around ... you just look in their eyes, they look in mine, and they know what time it is."
Though his 28 combined tackles were the least that he has had since his rookie year in 2010, McCoy was still the sort of player that he historically has been in 2018, serving as a major disruptive force and notching a total of six sacks. Though McCoy has had at least six sacks every season since 2013, and was once again one of the Buccaneers' best players last year, he was cast aside by Tampa Bay in part because of the idea (At least in the mind of new head coach Bruce Arians) that he is not the same destructive force that he once was. Naturally, McCoy has taken exception to this, and is out to prove in his tenth season that he is still among the top defensive players in the entire league: Which is terrific for the Panthers, particularly as they face the Bucs for two early-season matches in Weeks Two and Six.
"I know what I'm capable of. I know what I still have left in the tank," McCoy told WFNZ's Wilson & Parcell in June. "And I truly believe not only can I bring that same type of production, but I can go even higher than what people have seen over the past few years."
Although expectations will surely be high for McCoy as he pursues his first postseason appearance - and glories beyond that - it is most likely that McCoy will be a critical rotational piece for the Panthers' defensive line alongside Short, Poe, and Kyle Love. McCoy should, at the very least, be expected to perform at a similar level to that which he has performed at over the past two seasons. And if he does that, and both the Panthers' pass rush and defensive line as a whole improves, he will more than keep up his end of the bargain on a one-year deal.

11. Kyler Murray crushed the Cardinals' offseason, teammates say
Jun 18, 2019
Josh Weinfuss
ESPN Staff Writer
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Justin Pugh heard the hype surrounding Kyler Murray leading into this year's NFL draft.
There was, he said, a lot of it.
So when the Arizona Cardinals took Murray first overall, Pugh, one of the Cardinals' starting guards, was given a front-row seat to Murray Mania. So how did Murray do? Through organized team activities and minicamp, Pugh thinks the rookie quarterback has fit the bill.
"Everything that I heard, he's lives up to,” Pugh said. "And I've heard a lot of good things, so it's been great so far.”
As the Cardinals enter their summer break before reuniting for training camp in late July, the early returns on Murray are in. He received high marks for his play on the field and his leadership and demeanor off of it.
And there was nary any criticism of him from his teammates of all ages.
"He's cool, calm, collected, smooth,” new guard J.R. Sweezy said. "Make a mistake, come back, correct it. He's on it, honestly.”
Sweezy knows a good quarterback when he sees one.
He blocked for Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson for five of his first six seasons. In just a few weeks, Sweezy already can see the similarities between the two. Both are short -- Murray is 5-foot-10 and Wilson is 5-foot-11 -- both have a baseball background and both entered the league with an ability to run as well as pass.
"I see hundreds of similarities,” Sweezy said. "I always say, we got to see this guy really play. I think he's going to be just fine. But just to even be compared to Russell Wilson is a huge compliment.
"He's going to back it up. I just love that he's getting compared to him already and everything. He's going to be great."
Murray grabbed the nation's attention last season when he passed for 4,361 yards with 42 touchdowns and just seven interceptions in his lone season as a starter at Oklahoma. It was good enough to earn the Sooners a playoff bid and Murray the Heisman Trophy. And it hasn't taken Murray long to turn heads at the pro level, either.
"First off, he's faster and quicker than I thought when we got on the field,” running back David Johnson said. "I think a lot of people underestimate how great he can throw. He throws a dart. Accurate dart.
"Even in quarterback drills, seeing him throw it at the net and seeing him hit it five in a row. I think a lot of people underestimate his throwing ability.”
Murray's development in Arizona began further along the curve than other rookie quarterbacks because of his familiarity with coach Kliff Kingsbury's offense.
Murray began running portions of the spread and Air Raid in eighth grade and ran it primarily at Oklahoma, so he was able to hit the ground running during OTAs in May. It took just weeks for Murray's teammates to understand how he operates, Kingsbury said.
"As soon as he came in, he looked just as good as he does now,” wide receiver Kevin White said. "I think now, he is more fluid where everyone's on the same page, I would say, but he's a special talent.”
After finally getting his chance to coach Murray, whom he began recruiting to Texas Tech as a sophomore in high school, Kingsbury likes Murray's attitude -- especially when things don't go Murray's way.
"He's going to take chances and this is the time to do it, see what you can get away with,” Kingsbury said. "If you want to go at [cornerback] Pat [Peterson] a couple of times, it's usually all it takes to learn.
"But no, he's aggressive in nature, the way he thinks and attacks when he's out on the football field, and I like that.”
Off the field, Murray already has caught the attention of some of the veterans with how he has handled himself. He has blended his skill on the field with his approach off the field, and it has earned him respect.
"He's shown nothing but great leadership and hard work and doing the right thing," Pugh said. "Once we get the pads on, we'll get a lot more of a feel for each other, and I'm looking forward to that."
Said outside linebacker Chandler Jones: "Kyler's confident, and he's not a cocky player. For him to be the first overall pick, he's a very confident player. He's composed. I can see him construct, I see him getting guys together in the huddle, and as a young guy, that's something that I admire about him.
"He's good at grabbing guys' attention. I'm not sure how tall he is, but I see his little helmet and I see a little helmet in the huddle. He's grabbing guys. I'm just, it's impressive. He's an impressive player. and I'm still sitting here watching him at practice getting a front-row seat to the No. 1 pick and the Heisman winner."

12. A closer look at new Seahawks running back Marcelias Sutton
By: Andy Patton | June 3, 2019 11:00 am
The Seattle Seahawks swapped undrafted free agent running backs last week, waiving former Clemson back Adam Choice with an injury designation and instead signing former Oklahoma back Marcelias Sutton.
Sutton comes to Seattle after two years in junior college and 19 games played at Oklahoma across two seasons. He had 29 carries for 152 yards and two touchdowns his senior year, only appearing in six games thanks to a season-ending leg injury.
Sutton also had five receptions for 46 yards out of the backfield, showing at least some ability as a third-down back – an area of need for the Seahawks with Mike Davis’ departure.
The Seahawks have plenty of experience finding hidden gems at the running back position, including snagging Chris Carson in the seventh round in 2018 and signing Thomas Rawls as an undrafted free agent in 2015.
Although Sutton has a lot of competition for a roster spot, the Seahawks must have liked what they saw out of him at rookie minicamp.
If he can perform well in training camp the team may find a way to keep him around, as either a practice squad player or a special teamer on the active roster.

13. The Biggest Revelation from Every NFL Team's OTAs

Arizona Cardinals: Kyler Murray Picking Up the Offense Quickly
The Arizona Cardinals are hoping No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray is ready to be the starting quarterback by Week 1. While it's still uncertain if he can quickly adapt to the speed and nuances of the pro game, Murray is already showing a tremendous grasp of head coach Kliff Kingsbury's offensive system.
"He knows the system better than we do," wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said, per team correspondent Mike Jurecki. "He can get us into any play at any time."
At least mentally, Murray should be ready to run the offense immediately.

Baltimore Ravens: The Secondary Is Loaded
The Baltimore Ravens have invested heavily in their secondary over the last few seasons. Their latest addition, safety Earl Thomas, is the molten fudge on perhaps the best secondary sundae in the league.
If OTAs are an accurate indication, the Ravens may have some starting-caliber safeties and cornerbacks who don't even make the roster.
"They're so deep at those positions that a few players who belong on the field in the NFL will be hard-pressed to make the roster," John Eisenberg of the team's official website wrote. "That's one of my takeaways from watching them together on the practice field and doing a little math."
With players such as Thomas, Marlon Humphrey, Tony Jefferson and Brandon Carr in the starting secondary, the Ravens indeed appear to have an elite unit.

Kansas City Chiefs: Damien Williams Is the Starting Running Back
The Kansas City Chiefs don't have Kareem Hunt at running back anymore, but they do have options. Damien Williams and Darrel Williams both return from last season, and the team added Carlos Hyde in the offseason.
However, offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy made it clear during OTAs that the plan is for Damien Williams to be the starting running back.
"Damien Williams is our starter," Bieniemy said, per Matt Derrick of ChiefsDigest.com. "We expect him to excel in that role.
It was easy to assume the Chiefs would hold a competition for the starting job that would last throughout the offseason. However, the competition already appears to have been settled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News