ADVERTISEMENT

Most of Joe Mixon lawsuit dismissed

BawlzDeep

OU scholarship offer
Dec 16, 2013
Most of Joe Mixon lawsuit dismissed
by Nolan Clay Published: November 21, 2016 2:27 PM CDT Updated: November 21, 2016 7:30 PM CDT
THE OKLAHOMAN
lead630_blur-n_601c569452bb8bf5b04ebfc55de36440.jpg

Joe Mixon (25) poses for photographs during media day at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman, Okla., on Saturday, Aug. 6, 2016. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman
A federal judge in Oklahoma City has dismissed two-thirds of a lawsuit filed against star Sooner running back Joe Mixon.

A University of Oklahoma student, Amelia Molitor, sued Mixon in July, almost two years after he punched her in the face at a Norman cafe.

Molitor, 22, accused Mixon, 20, in the lawsuit of negligence, willful and wanton misconduct, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

The lawsuit was filed in California but now is pending in Oklahoma City federal court.

In a nine-page order Monday, U.S. District Joe Heaton dismissed Molitor's first two claims, leaving at issue only her claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Mixon had sought dismissal of all three claims.

The running back's attorneys argued Molitor is making allegations of intentional action that fit a battery lawsuit. They argued her attorneys made the other claims instead because they missed a one-year deadline to file a battery case.

In his order, Heaton agreed in part, writing, "Under Oklahoma law, intentional acts cannot be the basis for a negligence claim." He made the same finding on the willful and wanton misconduct claim.

The judge gave Molitor's attorneys 14 days to file an amended petition and raise the claims again. The judge, however, wrote he has considerable doubt the deficiencies he found in the lawsuit with those claims "can be cured by amendment."

Molitor suffered fractured bones in her face from the punch. Mixon later said, through an attorney, that he acted in self-defense.

Mixon was suspended from the football team for a season after the confrontation and charged with a misdemeanor — acts resulting in gross injury.

Under a plea deal, he was put on probation for a year and required to complete 100 hours of community service and undergo cognitive behavior counseling.

He entered an Alford plea to the criminal charge. That allowed him to accept the plea deal while continuing to assert innocence.

Molitor also filed a lawsuit in July against Pickleman's Gourmet Cafe, where she was injured. That lawsuit also is pending in Oklahoma City federal court.

Molitor, who goes by Mia, is set to graduate from OU in December with a dual degree in philosophy and human relations.

I wasn't in agreement with Bob's decision to allow Joe to stay at OU, but I had been impressed with the way Mixon handled his penalty until recently. I was not impressed with his actions during the WVU game. However, I will give him the benefit of holding judgment because you never know what some of the WVU players were saying/doing that may have contributed to Joe's aggressiveness. Joe Mixon is a very gifted athlete and has a big future in the NFL so it my hope he understands what he has to lose if he doesn't handle the stuff on the field as well as he was able to handle the year away from football. Bob made a good decision for Joe. I hope he repays Bob's confidence in him. BTW, I think Mixon is as good as Demarco, and would love for him to hang around another year.

I wasn't in agreement with Bob's decision to allow Joe to stay at OU, but I had been impressed with the way Mixon handled his penalty until recently. I was not impressed with his actions during the WVU game. However, I will give him the benefit of holding judgment because you never know what some of the WVU players were saying/doing that may have contributed to Joe's aggressiveness. Joe Mixon is a very gifted athlete and has a big future in the NFL so it my hope he understands what he has to lose if he doesn't handle the stuff on the field as well as he was able to handle the year away from football. Bob made a good decision for Joe. I hope he repays Bob's confidence in him. BTW, I think Mixon is as good as Demarco, and would love for him to hang around another year.

Mixon's does appear to have a volatile nature simmering under the surface. I suppose he is still under stress with everything that has occurred. It does make you worry that he might get provoked into doing something that will hurt the team. I certainly hope he proves me incorrect.

If he stays, I think he would make himself millions and be one of the premier players and the face of cf for 2017 in a great way.

Perine more likely to stay than Joe, but both should leave.

I thought Mixon showed a LOT of restraint in not slapping that bitch earlier. If this would have been a man using racial slurs, spitting in his face, and then slapping him, there would be absolutely no charges.

Sure, he should have left. But he didn't. Who actually assaulted who? Verbally, and physically, Joe Mixon was assaulted by this skanky bitch, and he reacted.

I'm not surprised at the judge's decision.
I'm not surprised by some fans' reaction of Mixon being a victim, or be not questioning his judgement of being at a nightclub at 2:30 am, 2-1/2 hours removed from being a 17 year old. After all, he's a celebrity and helps OU win games...why should poor judgement and preferential treatment get in the way ?
Plenty of blame to go around as far in my opinion: Mixon, the woman and OU.

Molitor, who goes by Mia, is set to graduate from OU in December with a dual degree in philosophy and human relations.

Human relations? Do they teach one how to interact with other humans? If so, is that why she acted the way she did before she got hit?

Reactions: BawlzDeep
I'm not surprised by some fans' reaction of Mixon being a victim, or be not questioning his judgement of being at a nightclub at 2:30 am, 2-1/2 hours removed from being a 17 year old. After all, he's a celebrity and helps OU win games...why should poor judgement and preferential treatment get in the way ?

Sure there is. I stand by my statements and beliefs, if it had been a man, the only charges would have been on the guy initiating it, not Joe Mixon. It has nothing to do with him being a football player, just the facts of the case...

I thought Mixon showed a LOT of restraint in not slapping that bitch earlier. If this would have been a man using racial slurs, spitting in his face, and then slapping him, there would be absolutely no charges.

Sure, he should have left. But he didn't. Who actually assaulted who? Verbally, and physically, Joe Mixon was assaulted by this skanky bitch, and he reacted.

Wow, what a misogynist racial comment. You need to control your temper and not let your racial bias show ... at least leave some doubt about your racial views and female hate!

Sure there is. I stand by my statements and beliefs, if it had been a man, the only charges would have been on the guy initiating it, not Joe Mixon. It has nothing to do with him being a football player, just the facts of the case...

Not enough to argue about IMO, especially this far into the future, but I can't keep from thinking what Bob's decision would have been had Ruben Hunter punched that girl. I hope Bob would have done the same for him and he won't ever have to make a decision like that again.

I think that's why he's still playing football. Fools act like he just walked up and punched out a lady w/o reason...

If this would have been a man using racial slurs, spitting in his face, and then slapping him, there would be absolutely no charges.
Can't help but agree with this. I'm not agreeing with this as a way of condoning the hitting of a woman, but just the flat out truth that if it had been a man instead of a woman here, this case would have been looked at completely differently.

Wow, what a misogynist racial comment. You need to control your temper and not let your racial bias show ... at least leave some doubt about your racial views and female hate!
LOL I must be a racist since she called him racial slurs... your ignorance is blissful, huh?

Reactions: Schoonerman
Agreed about being out that late, if something happens at that hour it usually ends up being of a negative nature more often than not. That being said, FWIW, Pickleman's is a sandwich shop, not a nightclub.

Agreed about being out that late, if something happens at that hour it usually ends up being of a negative nature more often than not. That being said, FWIW, Pickleman's is a sandwich shop, not a nightclub.
So the woman hit by Mixon got drunk elsewhere and was at Pickleman's to eat ?

There is plenty to question his judgment with but you need to get things right, Mixon was NOT in a night club at 2:30am in the morning.

Reactions: veritas59

So you feel it is ok for a white woman to call a black male the N-word, spit in his face, and slap him? And anyone who disagrees with that, is a misogynistic racist?

There is plenty to question his judgment with but you need to get things right, Mixon was NOT in a night club at 2:30am in the morning.
That's already been pointed out by Salt City Sooner. I got it.
This doesn't make Mixon or Molitor any more guilty or innocent.

That's already been pointed out by Salt City Sooner. I got it.
This doesn't make Mixon or Molitor any more guilty or innocent.

Then why mention it?

It appears that some people just assume that it would take liquor to set someone off so much to want to hit/assault someone. I think if I was a young imature black guy, feeling proud to be at a University on a FB scholarship, and being Happy on my 18th birthday, from Cali, very raw & new to OU/campus, & and had a girl called me the N word, then slap me... well I don't think it would take liquor to set me off. But that's me now looking back 41 yrs ago.

Both are guilty, neither are innocent any longer. Life just served them both a hard core slice of comeuppance.

Then why mention it?

It appears that some people just assume that it would take liquor to set someone off so much to want to hit/assault someone. I think if I was a young imature black guy, feeling proud to be at a University on a FB scholarship, and being Happy on my 18th birthday, from Cali, very raw & new to OU/campus, & and had a girl called me the N word, then slap me... well I don't think it would take liquor to set me off. But that's me now looking back 41 yrs ago.

Both are guilty, neither are innocent any longer. Life just served them both a hard core slice of comeuppance.
Molitor was drunk and did start the altercation. But you're right: both are guilty and neither innocent and paid dearly.

Mixon's does appear to have a volatile nature simmering under the surface. I suppose he is still under stress with everything that has occurred. It does make you worry that he might get provoked into doing something that will hurt the team. I certainly hope he proves me incorrect.

If he stays, I think he would make himself millions and be one of the premier players and the face of cf for 2017 in a great way.

Under stress from everything that occured because of HIS actions. I don't care what she said or did you don't ever hit a woman if you are a man. Does not matter what the WVU players were saying, if he has learned anything from his mistake then he would know its best to just walk away especially now when others will try and provoke a response from you to get in your head during a game or try and get you to throw a punch. Wasn't he just suspended a game for mouthing off and tearing up a parking ticket? Seems to me he still has a few anger issues. Jmo

Reactions: Oklabama
Bottom line, now that all is said and done, is Mixon would give anything to have that fateful night to live over again. If he could, there's no way he would have even entered the restaurant.

Bottom line, now that all is said and done, is Mixon would give anything to have that fateful night to live over again. If he could, there's no way he would have even entered the restaurant.

Don't we all wish we could do some things over again. Poor character decisions as well as not investing in Apple back in the early '80s when the stock was under $30. :mad:

Don't we all wish we could do some things over again. Poor character decisions as well as not investing in Apple back in the early '80s when the stock was under $30. :mad:
Especially today when I am about to go have Thanksgiving dinner with the family and gain about 10 pounds after I eat it twice today. Ha
Happy Thanksgiving everybody! Hug your loved ones as you never know when this could be yours or their last Thanksgiving. Be safe, lots of idiots on the roads today. :D

I bet you felt awfully better than everyone when you wrote this.

Maybe instead of unsubstantiated name calling, you could explain how Pt's post of fact makes him misogynist. Or even better, show the exact location of your colon where you pulled out the idea that anything he said above was racist.

Please reply. I really want to know.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT