ADVERTISEMENT

Monday post practice ... (SCOOPHD added)

Eddie_Rado

Sooner starter
Staff
Jan 30, 2011
Didn't want you all to think post practice was neglected. We did meet with members of the offense this evening. Nothing terribly newsworthy came out of it, but here are some thoughts/tidbits from the Everest Indoor Center.

* Spoke with Lincoln Riley and he said his opinion really hasn't changed much from postgame on Saturday. He reiterated how proud he was of the offense for staying with the system ... not panicking ... following a slow start.

"We were obviously very spotty early. Made some mistakes that we hadn't made since spring ball but with nerves ... I guess ... that's a little to be expected. Again, I can't say how proud I was of how we hung in there. There was a lot of good," said Riley.

* Riley called it a 'great learning lesson' ...

"I never had a lack of confidence. I knew we were gonna go. I couldn't tell you how long it was going to take, you never can. But that's the great thing about this deal. We want to be good all the time but we don't have to be good all the time. If we can get on a little run we can have some quick bursts and get some damage done."

* Lots of talk about Jarvis Baxter and his road to Norman after starting on Saturday. Really a unique story in its own right. Riley said, 'they'll make a movie about it someday'

* We were able to speak with Baxter ... he said didn't find out he was starting -- or No.1 on the depth chart -- until he saw the tweets about it ... Baxter elaborated on his road to Norman and relationship with Riley, Dede Westbrook. We'll have a video feature on that in the coming days.

* Riley said they recruited Baxter a little bit while he was at East Carolina before eventually going in a different direction with a receiver that they were more familiar with.

* Riley gave some love to Durron Neal

* Spoke with Orlando Brown, Jonathan Alvarez & Nila Kasitati ... Alvarez said it pissed him off a little after watching the tape from Saturday night ... All three guys said they believe in what they are doing in the run game.

* All three are confident in offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh and the plan moving forward ... (shocker!)

* Baker Mayfield was asked about playing in front of 100k ... he reminded everyone he's played in Austin, didn't seem too worried about it in the least.

I'll have some highlights from Lincoln Riley up later tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.