ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Notes...(UPDATE: 10:51p)

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE: 10:51p - I heard back from a pair of future backfield mates this evening and they both seem solid and full of belief in where the Sooners are.

"We good, it is BV's first year. I’m not worried we in a good place, we gone put this thing together real soon," Daylan Smothers said.

One guy who can relate to the fans disappointment in recent weeks but remains steadfast in what he thinks will come of Oklahoma's future is potential five-star quarterback Jackson Arnold.

"Obviously pretty disappointed in the outcome so far, but I have a lot of faith in this staff as a whole and I think things will start to trend upward pretty quickly," Arnold said.

ORIGINAL: OK guys, have had a number of conversations today and I just can't believe how calm some of these young guys are about what I'm sure is NOT what they expected to see from this Sooners team.

But to a man, every guy I've spoken with remains confident in the Sooners and seems steadfast in their commitment and speaks with surprising confidence about the entirety of the class and their conversations with one another.

The guy who I think is about as solid as any player could be and left no doubt in his words is McAlester, Okla. athlete commitment Erik McCarty.

"I'm 100-percent committed," McCarty said.

And sure, the son of a former Sooner seems like one of the guys in the class that there is least to worry about but what about one of the highest rated prospects in the class and one who hails from out of state?

"Me personally I can’t speak for anyone else but I know I am not going anywhere else," Green said.

And while acknowledging this he admits it's hard to watch some of the madness that plays out with each game - though he understands the frustrations, to a point.

"(It's) annoying. People don’t realize coach (Brent) V(enables) been here for nine months, I guess," he said. "But part of me understands it though. We have been really good for a long time so this isn’t really normal."

Another guy that remains calm about the Sooners situation was one that gave you all some sweats before his decision - Converse (Texas) Judson Rivals250 wide receiver Anthony Evans.

He sent me a video tonight of a touchdown from a few weeks ago and I noticed he finally got the OU gloves that he'd told me he needed so that he wouldn't have to wear 'UGA gloves' that people got so excited about the day after his commitment in late August.

"I absolutely will (keep wearing these)," Evans said. "Boomer, man.

"(I'm) holding strong with the class."

And what of his thoughts on his classmates?

"We're solid as far as I know."

And this is a group that communicates with one another quite a bit.

That was something that was referenced by not only some recruits but a few family members, including Heath Ozaeta's mother, Myra.

"We're solid. In BV we trust. Heath can't imagine himself anywhere else," she said. "I think that's been the key message on the 2023 text thread as well.

"I think the 2023s have a real good understanding of this business. And that's what it is: a business. The fans are spinning but they can do that as fans."

Another high-end out of state prospect who may be called in to help the Sooners even earlier than he had hoped is Crandall, Texas Rivals250 linebacker commitment Samuel Omosigho who says he and the class can see what is possible in front of them.

"We are the future of the program," Omosigho said. "I think that the team is still in its rebuilding phase and even though it’s looking bad we still have to believe in BV."

I'm still tracking down plenty of guys but the way these guys speak about it, I just don't get this feeling that there's a lot out of place at the moment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News