ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting the Bowl Game vs Az.

Bush

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 20, 2001
With Dillon Gabriel, we win that game by triple digits and finish the season at 11-2 vice 10-3. I will take that loss as a down payment on the 2024 SEC opening season. Jackson came of age as the game progressed. Two of the first two or three possessions – intercepted. Fifth possession…Jackson intercepted. Jackson settled in and started taking check-downs. Sawchuck is a superstar waiting to happen with speed off the charts – two-time Gatorade player of the year out of Colorado…first since Christian McCafrey. Turnovers cost OU that game with a first-time starting freshman QB (don’t seriously count the stage at BYU). All this said, OU is leading at halftime; then 21-13 early in the third quarter. 25 first-half rushing yards was fewest for any half last season for Arizona. So deep into the third quarter, Jackson was 13/20 for 193 Passing Yards and two TDs. The killer was the two interceptions in the first two-three possessions of the game. Brennan Thompson’s injury in the third didn’t help OU’s success rate. Call Stoops what you wish but the kid was deadly at times! Not just vs Texas but vs Arizona. OU with at 11 point lead with 5:37 in the third quarter; 24-13 OU leading at 2:49 in the third.

At the end of the third quarter, OU has Jackson with 20 of 32 at 300 yards two TDs and two Interceptions. Total yards in the second half for Arizona 29 and OU at 206. What happened? Jackson throws a perfect pass to Farouq who catches the pass and then fumbles it to a pick-8 with 2 seconds left in the third – so 24 - 21 OU. WTF? That is not on Jackson. BUT…next possession…interception Jackson!

First four possessions Arizona scored three times and the last five possessions it was pick, punt, punt, punt, punt and OU scored 24 straight!

With 12:49 in the game, tie game 24-24. At this point, OU has 5 turnovers, first time since 2014 vs Clemson which won 40-6 in which Trevor Knight threw 3 picks.

With 5:54 in the fourth OU has 196 Rush Yards and Arizona has 23. But, TD Airzona at 5:23 with a pass.

OU’s future looks bright with Jackson and the upgraded Defense. So with the experience Jackson will gain in the first four games in 2024, I can see OU winning the first four games in 2024; defeating Tennessee in Norman and Auburn away, and then going into Dallas 6-0. Who knows what will happen in Dallas but I can also see OU at 7-0 with a win in Dallas as easily as I can see them 6-1. Experts predict OU splitting Tennessee (Home) and Auburn (Away) but I don’t. I think both are OU wins.

I see OU’s offensive line as a tradeoff. The center position is an upgrade with the addition of center Branson Hickman. Sans Hickman, it is a different picture but, the OU offensive line will be fine with the starting five. We replace loss of starts with roughly equal portal transfer starts. Thus OUs 2024 success will hinge on OL injuries and Jackson taking the next step.

The unique aspect of OU’s 2000 national championship was not just that we had very few Texas boys on OU’s two deep but rather, and also that we had very few injuries on that team. This was critical to winning the national championship as we were not deep in talent. If OU can go without additional injuries to the starting five, we will outperform expectations for 2024 in our initial SEC season.

With one or more injuries to our starting five on the OL, we will be fortunate to break 6 wins. So the window, based on the above analysis is 10-2 or 6-6.

As for Texas, they are Texas….over hyped; indoctrinated into their hype; coddled into their beliefs. They may or may not pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat. I put my money on OU, Jackson and Brent.

With Jackson realizing his potential at the end of 2024 I can see him as a Heisman contender. The flipside is that if Jackson does not realize his potential, I can see Michael Hawkins taking his spot for 2025.

We have got to find, and invest in, a serious tight end dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News