ADVERTISEMENT

MIXON to hold news conference

So, what did he say? The sports radio show in ATL played about 30 seconds and then cut into their intro music for the guys who came on at 3 p.m. They said they'd get to his comments, but opened the show talking about the Falcons. I never heard what he said, but his opening comment was an apology. That was all I heard.

So, what did he say? The sports radio show in ATL played about 30 seconds and then cut into their intro music for the guys who came on at 3 p.m. They said they'd get to his comments, but opened the show talking about the Falcons. I never heard what he said, but his opening comment was an apology. That was all I heard.
At the 2 p.m. news conference, Mixon apologized to Amelia Molitor and said it's never OK to retaliate and hit a woman. He also apologized to everyone affected, including his mother.

Mixon said he takes full responsibility for the incident.

"It really doesn't matter what she did. It's all on me. I take full responsibility," Mixon said.

Mixon said he hopes that one day he can apologize to Molitor face-to-face.

A surveillance video showing Mixon punching Molitor two years was release

Mixon said he hopes that one day he can apologize to Molitor face-to-face.
I may be alone in thinking this, but I really don't think Joe has one damn thing to apologize to her face for. Meaning, I don't think the apology in this case should be one sided. Now if they both trade apologizes to each others faces, than that's a different story.

I totally agree with Billy. He is not 100 percent at fault. She should have apologized for striking first. She is waiting for him to go to the NFL, then take him to the cleaners. She is not going to apologize with her lawsuit. I am glad he did the news conference it really helped us and himself.

Reactions: BillyRay
Sorry Billy didn't read your post clearly. Face to face, he does not need to do that unless she is willing to apologize too.

I may be alone in thinking this, but I really don't think Joe has one damn thing to apologize to her face for. Meaning, I don't think the apology in this case should be one sided. Now if they both trade apologizes to each others faces, than that's a different story.

I think you would be alone in your way of thinking. Hopefully there aren't many who would share your thought.

Joe had to do this so that he can begin to heal from this 30 months of slow torture. Can you imagine the torture this kid has gone through?

Every where he has been this tragic incident has followed him around. How many times a day has he been reminded of this mess.

Joe had to do this at some point in time and much earlier would have been better. The only way he ever had of putting all this mess behind him was to do exactly what he did today. While there will be some who will try to keep this story alive it will gradually be put to bed. Even then, when a similar incident comes up Joe Mixon will be an example and be brought up again.

I think you would be alone in your way of thinking. Hopefully there aren't many who would share your thought.

Joe had to do this so that he can begin to heal from this 30 months of slow torture. Can you imagine the torture this kid has gone through?

Every where he has been this tragic incident has followed him around. How many times a day has he been reminded of this mess.

Joe had to do this at some point in time and much earlier would have been better. The only way he ever had of putting all this mess behind him was to do exactly what he did today. While there will be some who will try to keep this story alive it will gradually be put to bed. Even then, when a similar incident comes up Joe Mixon will be an example and be brought up again.
If I'm alone then I have zero issue with that. But I'm not going to turn a blind eye in that the chick also had a hand in instigating what happened. No doubt Joe overreacted and I don't disagree that he should have walked away. But had he not been shoved and slapped/hit then I doubt we would be having this discussion today. So again...I think they both owe apologies to each other.

If I'm alone then I have zero issue with that. But I'm not going to turn a blind eye in that the chick also had a hand in instigating what happened. No doubt Joe overreacted and I don't disagree that he should have walked away. But had he not been shoved and slapped/hit then I doubt we would be having this discussion today. So again...I think they both owe apologies to each other.
I agree totally. Joe has a lot in store for him. He will no doubt be called names, cheap shots on the field, provoked into fights all because a drunk girl HIT FIRST.

Mixon entered the restaurant to continue his feud with Molitor.
Who provoked who ?
The grab and slapped by Molitor that is an assault. Definition of assault:
as·sault

verb

make a physical attack on.

"he pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer"

synonyms:attack, hit, strike, punch, beat up,thump; More

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
If Mixon had allowed the feud to end outside the restaurant and not entered looking for more crap with Molitor, nothing would have happened.
And here's a quick history lesson to those trying to give a grammar lesson: the event happened 30 months ago and now Stoops and OU and Mixon have a major "fire" to put out regardless of whose side one takes.
Right now, the blame game is a waste of time.
OU's reputation has taken a hit. Nothing said here can change that.

The old "if" game, yeah, yeah, if she, he. The apology helped. Trevor Matich video says it the best. Now we have to back our team and hope to God nothing like this happens again at OU. A good reminder of people turning their lives around was watching and listening to Dusty former OU calling game last night.

Maybe having rape and assault activist Brenda Tracy, per her suggestion last week, meet with OU.....again....to discuss new policies that will prevent future incidents from happening.
Maybe having OU enacting new policies on its own to prevent future incidents from happening. Evidently, there are holes in OU's existing policies after Frank Shannon's misdeed, allowing Dorial Green-Beckum to transfer from Missouri two years ago and now Mixon's situation.
Are you really satisfied with OU doing nothing more to prevent future episodes and nothing more to resurrect its image ?

Also, Bob has made it clear that OU must have a zero tolerance policy going forward. That will take a strong will and test Bob/OU's resolve.

If Mixon had allowed the feud to end outside the restaurant and not entered looking for more crap with Molitor, nothing would have happened.
And here's a quick history lesson to those trying to give a grammar lesson: the event happened 30 months ago and now Stoops and OU and Mixon have a major "fire" to put out regardless of whose side one takes.

IF.
If my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt.
The point is, he was wrong. He knows he was wrong and he's done everything he can to correct it. He has the forgiveness of his Coaches, and his team. He's asked for forgiveness from all of us and every OU fan. Some can sit around and remember the days of old, bitch & moan, but bottom-line, I think he's done his part. As far as OU's rep taking a hit, it's still VERY VERY early for this storyline. I say re-evaluate this in another 8-10 years. Mixon can do great things and Stoops & OU coming out looking great. It's time for all of us to shut up & put up support for him and if one truly can't do this because of their deep conflicting feelings, then take your OU gear, store it away until Stoops & Mixon moves on.

Prior to his apology presser I thought Auburn by a TD. Not now. I think the team rallies around Mixon. In fact, I think we will see a Mixon hi-light reel and they feed him the ball.

I'm done with this Mixon thing. It's over and time to move on.

What policies can Brenda Tracy suggest this time, that she didn't suggest the last time she visited??

I think OU should just weather the storm and move on. This crap got dealt with 2.5 years ago. It's only a renewed storm because of the video.
The "renewed storm" over the video negates whatever OU has done already to deal with this matter. It now is about the perception of OU and Stoops on a national level. Further action for OU to move on from this seems appropriate.
Brenda Tracy suggested coming to OU in January to meet again with Stoops, whom she has a good relationship with at least for the time being, so she must have some newer ideas. She did not mention punishing Mixon any further.
OU might not move on Tracy's proposal and it might not do or say anything else on this situation at all. Doing nothing, in my opinion, would reflect badly on both OU and the Stoops' legacy.
I am not advocating further punishment for Mixon. His punishment of suspension, remorse and having this nightmare with him forever is enough punishment. But what I feel, and most of you feel, is not in the equation as to how, or if, OU decides to go forward.

Forgiveness can be a powerful healing process. What is done is done and Mixon unlike us is a person who's life is a open door and news for duece bag reporters to try and destroy when they make an mistake.

Its just the world we live in now. Going after Stoops now is just another example of the medias hypocritic ways considering he is one of the most well respected coaches among his peers.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited:
The "renewed storm" over the video negates whatever OU has done already to deal with this matter. It now is about the perception of OU and Stoops on a national level. Further action for OU to move on from this seems appropriate.
Brenda Tracy suggested coming to OU in January to meet again with Stoops, whom she has a good relationship with at least for the time being, so she must have some newer ideas. She did not mention punishing Mixon any further.
OU might not move on Tracy's proposal and it might not do or say anything else on this situation at all. Doing nothing, in my opinion, would reflect badly on both OU and the Stoops' legacy.
I am not advocating further punishment for Mixon. His punishment of suspension, remorse and having this nightmare with him forever is enough punishment. But what I feel, and most of you feel, is not in the equation as to how, or if, OU decides to go forward.
OU has gone forward. Bob Stoops had moved forward. Joe Mixon had moved forward. This is something that was dealt with 2.5 years ago, no issues have come up since then, and everyone has moved on. But the video gets released, so the media chums the waters again, and now people think OU has to make another huge push to deal with something AGAIN that they already dealt with 2.5 years ago. If Brenda Tracy wants to visit OU again, then no problemo. But I don't think making another round of ideas or policies towards something that hasn't been an issue for 2.5 years since it was dealt with the first time. OU is dealing with a segment of the media and population that feels nothing short of Joe Mixon's entire life being ruined for hitting a girl is what is appropriate. There is nothing OU can do that will make that segment happy going forward. So screw them.

I wouldn't blame the media for the creation of this situation or for the fallout it has produced.
As for forgiveness, that can only come from Molitor.
As for moving forward by OU, Stoops and Mixon, that is not something that cannot be determined right now, or until at least after January 2nd.
We live in a culture now of overreacting to things and getting our feelings hurt by words and images rather than actual deeds, so it's easy for many to regard this Mixon-Molitor situation as overreaction by the media, or liberals, the "PC police" or disloyal Sooner fans. I just can't regard a near lethal punch by a 207 lb man upon a woman as an overreaction.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
I wouldn't blame the media for the creation of this situation or for the fallout it has produced.
As for forgiveness, that can only come from Molitor.
As for moving forward by OU, Stoops and Mixon, that is not something that cannot be determined right now, or until at least after January 2nd.
We live in a culture now of overreacting to things and getting our feelings hurt by words and images rather than actual deeds, so it's easy for many to regard this Mixon-Molitor situation as overreaction by the media, or liberals, the "PC police" or disloyal Sooner fans. I just can't regard a near lethal punch by a 207 lb man upon a woman as an overreaction.

CT

You are correct that the media didnt create this event but what they have done is rehash an old story from 2.5 years ago. The media enjoys these types of stories much more than the so many good stories of athletes that can be told.

Maybe had the tapes been released when it happened then this would be a no story today but their is always going to be some media outlet who just would not have let it go.

I know your worried about the impact all this has on the program but I can tell you from the area of Arkansas I live in that my friends dont even talk about Mixon and what he did. Its pretty much not even talked about even in my work place.

Its only a huge deal to those who are looking to critisize the program and mainly from individuals who have a dislike for the program itself. Heck imagine the outcry FSU fans would have today if the Winston rape charges were still hanging over that program and they were still bashing Mr " I run a clean program with integrity" Fisher.

We all know his reputation wasnt attacked like Stoops is currently and we are taljing about " Rape" vs. assault which the two are not even comparable.

My point is that every major program has had its issues with players and all have survived it.

CT

You are correct that the media didnt create this event but what they have done is rehash an old story from 2.5 years ago. The media enjoys these types of stories much more than the so many good stories of athletes that can be told.

Maybe had the tapes been released when it happened then this would be a no story today but their is always going to be some media outlet who just would not have let it go.

I know your worried about the impact all this has on the program but I can tell you from the area of Arkansas I live in that my friends dont even talk about Mixon and what he did. Its pretty much not even talked about even in my work place.

Its only a huge deal to those who are looking to critisize the program and mainly from individuals who have a dislike for the program itself. Heck imagine the outcry FSU fans would have today if the Winston rape charges were still hanging over that program and they were still bashing Mr " I run a clean program with integrity" Fisher.

We all know his reputation wasn't attacked like Stoops is currently and we are talking about " Rape" vs. assault which the two are not even comparable.

My point is that every major program has had its issues with players and all have survived it.
I like what you said, 59.
I still have memories of 1989 when this stuff happens and I get concerned.
I want OU to be a leader, a pioneer, in clamping down on assaults by its athletes. I want OU to learn from this and tighten down its control of athletes enough to keep them out of trouble.
Yeah, right.....I also want world peace and harmony.....just like Miss Georgia.

Mixon entered the restaurant to continue his feud with Molitor.
Who provoked who ?
Says who? Nobody forced Molitor to put her hands on Joe.

Do the words on a screen provoke anyone here to do physical violence against another?

Sounds more like intolerance to me... Tolerate my b.s. but I'm not going to tolerate your b.s.

At the 6 minute mark he is asked about whether he would come to a different conclusion today... "...the opportunity for a guy to be disciplined and rehabilitate and recover is no longer there..."

So now comes the zero tolerance world... Better not sin anyone...

Says who? Nobody forced Molitor to put her hands on Joe.

Do the words on a screen provoke anyone here to do physical violence against another?

Sounds more like intolerance to me... Tolerate my b.s. but I'm not going to tolerate your b.s.
Mixon entered the restaurant and went directly to Molitor. Why didn't he just stay outside ? He wasn't there to buy a meal.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Mixon entered the restaurant and went directly to Molitor. Why didn't he just stay outside ? He wasn't there to buy a meal.
You should watch the interrogation video. "Sooner Dave" Smith is the guy with the blue hat on and #08 sitting at the table, one of Joe's teammates that he went to see at Pickleman's.

Either way, it doesn't change the facts. One can argue until they are blue in the face, at what point in that argument does it justify you, me, or anyone else, putting their hands on another person?

Other than being a victim of an alleged crime, what are Brenda Tracy's credentials?

I agree totally. Joe has a lot in store for him. He will no doubt be called names, cheap shots on the field, provoked into fights all because a drunk girl HIT FIRST.
No, it will be because, imho, he caved in a girl's face when NO real threat was posed. Defenders WILL pose a real threat, though, and he will be greatly challenged both on the college and NFL fields for that transgression.

You're completely wrong. Mixon NEVER went any place that he didn't have a right to go, and NEVER did anything that he didn't have a right to do. Molitor committed an assault and battery. Mixon ended the assault and battery and then walked away. If Molitor had merely reported Mixon to the restaurant personnel, instead of going trailer-trash, nothing would have happened either. Now, if only Stoops, Boren, Mixon & Co. could go "Donald Trump" on the media with their middle fingers, instead of cowering to PC........

Edit: You're not completely wrong. OU's reputation has taken a hit .......... for not standing up for players. You'll find that the Alabama head coach has a great reputation for taking up for players. Surely that can't have anything to do with all the talent he recruits, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
You're completely wrong. Mixon NEVER went any place that he didn't have a right to go, and NEVER did anything that he didn't have a right to do. Molitor committed an assault and battery. Mixon ended the assault and battery and then walked away. If Molitor had merely reported Mixon to the restaurant personnel, instead of going trailer-trash, nothing would have happened either. Now, if only Stoops, Boren, Mixon & Co. could go "Donald Trump" on the media with their middle fingers, instead of cowering to PC........

Edit: You're not completely wrong. OU's reputation has taken a hit .......... for not standing up for players. You'll find that the Alabama head coach has a great reputation for taking up for players. Surely that can't have anything to do with all the talent he recruits, right?
Mixon's right to go anywhere is not an issue here. He entered the restaurant and went straight to Molitor's table and did not require Molitor motioning him to approach her to do so.
Had Mixon not been suspended his freshman year, I'm sure he would have recovered from his injuries rendered by Molitor's "assault" by the opening game. Just a hunch.
One more time, both parties are to blame here. The confrontation could have and should have ended outside the restaurant (and who started it outside ?).
If I were a D-1 football player at 6'2" 207 lbs (white or black), playing for and representing both a team and a university........I wouldn't pursue a confrontation with a drunken coed, regardless of ANY words spoken to me. I wouldn't be dumb enough to get close to her with so much at stake. Short of pulling a weapon on him, there's no harm to Mixon that she could have rendered.
This may cheer you up: there's a good chance Molitor may ultimately pay more for her misdeed than Mixon, above and beyond a broken face from a near-lethal punch. Her future is stained as well. How will prospective employers view her during interviews? She also may be wise to live outside of Oklahoma in the future, while Mixon ultimately plays in the NFL.
That's a real good idea of yours to have Stoops, Boren and Mixon "going Donald Trump" to the media. That would accomplish a lot of good and would be a great image builder for OU. That's just what needs to be done. You should run this by Stoops asap.

How will prospective employers view her during interviews? She also may be wise to live outside of Oklahoma in the future, while Mixon ultimately plays in the NFL.
I guess that depends on how prospective employers view hiring convicted felons... depending on the job, some will not hire drug addicts, no matter how long they've been sober...

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT