ADVERTISEMENT

Mixon or Perine to return in 2017

Which one would you prefer If only one returns?

• Perine

• Mixon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Two more questions for the masses:
Would OU have been undefeated in B12 if Mixon had been out all year?
Would OU have been undefeated in B12 if Perine had been out all year?

Reactions: iasooner1
Two more questions for the masses:
Would OU have been undefeated in B12 if Mixon had been out all year?
Would OU have been undefeated in B12 if Perine had been out all year?
Good question.
Although Westbrook is not a running back, I believe OU loses at least two more games without him, especially considering the less-than-stellar depth at WR behind him.
And both Perine and Mixon reaped the benefit of an offensive line that got progressively better as the season went on.

Good question.
Although Westbrook is not a running back, I believe OU loses at least two more games without him, especially considering the less-than-stellar depth at WR behind him.
And both Perine and Mixon reaped the benefit of an offensive line that got progressively better as the season went on.

Agree with you on Westbrook, but his return is not possible, so I started thinking about the RBs.
In my opinion, there were four players who MIGHT have affected the outcome of games without their presence - Mixon, Perine, Baker and Westbrook.
Three of these have the option of returning or entering the draft.
You mentioned a couple games lost without DD.
I think we would all agree that probably as many as 3-6 without Mayfield.
What about each of the RBs?

Reactions: JP74017
I would think that Mixon would want to put this college mess to bed...and head to the choppy NFL waters. Perine would seem to be the one to stand tough and give the Sooners a decent shot at the CFB Playoff next year...especially of we can upend the Buckeyes.

Agree with you on Westbrook, but his return is not possible, so I started thinking about the RBs.
In my opinion, there were four players who MIGHT have affected the outcome of games without their presence - Mixon, Perine, Baker and Westbrook.

I think the loss of Mixon would have hurt more than the loss of Perine, especially if we assume Abdul Adams were to be healthy as well. He looked good as a bruising type back in limited time. Mixon allows much more versatility in the offense than Perine does.

This is hard for me to say because everything about Samaje Perine is what is good for college football and why I love the sport over all others, but...

...Joe Mixon is the better running back. He can't bruise like Samaje, but he can carry the load and deliver punishment. He can take the carry to the house at any moment against any competition. He is a frightening mismatch in the passing game and an explosive return man.

The dude has it all and this is why I expect him to head to the NFL and Perine to return and become the Sooners all time leading rusher.

Obviously Mayfield is the most important player on the team, much less the offense. The quarterback is the most important position in football, for any team at any level.
Mayfield's extra year is critical in the team's quarterback situation after Mayfield is gone, 2018 and beyond. Kendall, Murray and Robison can be given time to develop.

Kendall is behind Murray. Murray could not play, so Kendall was automatic 2nd stringer. Murray has great talent, but is mini-me.

Kendall is behind Murray. Murray could not play, so Kendall was automatic 2nd stringer. Murray has great talent, but is mini-me.

For some odd reason, Murray reminds me of Brandon Daniels. Maybe because Brandon was touted to be the next great Sooner QB when he arrived in Norman.

Reactions: veritas59
Not 5th grade. My best friend coached it, but that was 10 years ago, and it was still hike the ball and hand-off to the runningback on every play. Do they pass it now at that level?

Some think that Molitor's statue of limitations expires soon and therefore Mixon may wait it out another year. He'll return to a dominating o-line, a Heisman candidate QB, and possibly an imporved defense. He'll have a good chance of making it to the final four. Thus getting some serious attention. It would make sense financially for him to sit tight. An agent would be in his ear to go early, go now. But for some strange oddball reason, I think he stays, rides out the storm, comes out next year in better shape.

Some think that Molitor's statue of limitations expires soon and therefore Mixon may wait it out another year. He'll return to a dominating o-line, a Heisman candidate QB, and possibly an imporved defense. He'll have a good chance of making it to the final four. Thus getting some serious attention. It would make sense financially for him to sit tight. An agent would be in his ear to go early, go now. But for some strange oddball reason, I think he stays, rides out the storm, comes out next year in better shape.
Did that work for Ray Rice? He served his time and paid the price. The NFL is fickle and might punish him for an incident that happened on his 18th birthday. I think he should go and Perine should stay.

I'm saying the NFL should not Ray Rice (black ball) him because the two incidents are nothing alike, save they involve men hitting women.

Mixon was 2 to 3 hours into his 18th year. It's already a two year old case. And so far, he's been clean. I don't see a Ray Rice effect in play w/ regards to the NFL.

Ray Rice married the girl he knocked out, which is baffling to me. Nobody forced her to do it, she did so willingly, after all of it had happened.

Odd that she can forgive him, yet the NFL and a lot of society can't.

I agree with bcsoonerfan. His career was ending quickly before the video hit the airwaves. If he was still an elite RB, he would have been back in an NFL backfield by now.

I think the loss of Mixon would have hurt more than the loss of Perine, especially if we assume Abdul Adams were to be healthy as well. He looked good as a bruising type back in limited time. Mixon allows much more versatility in the offense than Perine does.
Did you watch the games? Which back rushed for 200 plus vs UT and OSU? Which back led the beat down of WVU on the road? Perine was injured a bunch, but when he played he showed up and showed out.

Did you watch the games? Which back rushed for 200 plus vs UT and OSU? Which back led the beat down of WVU on the road? Perine was injured a bunch, but when he played he showed up and showed out.
Mixon rushed for more yards this season than Perine, on fewer carries than Perine. Also, Mixon showed to be more of a playmaker in receiving that Perine was. Not to mention he is OU's returner. Perine and Mixon are just different types of RBs. Perine had his times he shines, but Mixon absolutely is more talented overall. And yes, I watched the games. I'm wondering if you watched them actually......

Ray Rice married the girl he knocked out, which is baffling to me. Nobody forced her to do it, she did so willingly, after all of it had happened.

Odd that she can forgive him, yet the NFL and a lot of society can't.

People tend to hold athletes to a different standard. If they held everyone to the same standard, several men wouldn't be able to work again. You know that a lot of society is fake and hypocritical.

People tend to hold athletes to a different standard. If they held everyone to the same standard, several men wouldn't be able to work again. You know that a lot of society is fake and hypocritical.
Roger, Roger!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT