ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops' worst flaw resurrected

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
The ghosts of Rashaun Woods, Marty Gilyard, et.al., were on full display in the form of BU WR Mims....and true to form, Mikey let him continue to run free in single coverage on a career night. How many times do we have to watch the other team's hot WR not get our best DB or double coverage? The perennial answer: as long as Mikey is our DC. Those who thought the inept deep passing attack of tOSU was fool's gold for our passing D were right to worry.

Especially galling: The now inexplicably incompetent JordanThomas (who should have given up 2 TDs vs tOSU if not for a drop and bad pass) goes out injured, and we put in some untried DB on Mims...who goes on to catch a TD that puts BU within a score. We only put Motley on Mims for the last drive where BU's QB coughed up the ball on that final sack. This is criminally stupid for a DC with that much experience. You cannot teach this old dog new tricks.

UWV, TCU and oSu are all going to torch us. Luckily we can put up points....but why does it have to come to that? M. Stoops needs to go.

1b32dc8ec7043e6d60769a8cc1a15e5f.jpg

Kind of ironic that Bob left Riley with a pretty good team only to saddle him with that boat anchor of a DC, his brother. Mike could very well be the Monkey Wrench in OU's Title Run.

Reactions: soonerfastnloud
And ya know, by season's end I'm sure Mike will put together a few good games and it will be enough to keep his job.
I hope you are wrong, BR, and, IMO, you may be. I believe there are many who have 'suffered in silence', as I have, and kept our opinions on the DL, out of respect for Bob, and his precarious position...his dilemma, of needing to pull the trigger on his bro', but being unable to do so. That's over.

Reasons for having rules regarding Nepotism have been glaringly revealed…Somewhere, in a distant galaxy, lessons may have been learned from the Brothers Stoops Experiment at Oklahoma. Now, on our own campus, it appears we may have stayed too long at the fair…

With the changing of the guard, Big Brother’s umbrella will no longer be able to shelter Mike. Losing several games is a very real possibility. The natives have been restless, but quiet, for years. Now, there is no longer a need for that.

IMO, John Q. is going to come out in the open, and that voice will be LOUD, and it WILL be heard…

Lincoln Riley's 4th quarter offensive change saved the game and pulled Mike's ass out of the fire. Surely a smart guy like Lincoln realizes this and will do what is right for the team and the program. If I were him I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about November 4th and 11th knowing Mike is going to game plan for OSU and TCU back to back. West Virginia will be a challenge as well as the Longhorns most likely. The silver lining is that Lincoln found a way to win and perhaps last night's game has him thinking. I hope so because OU has a ton of young talent and more coming.

Lets be honest...L.R.'s 2nd qtr. bombs away play calling at a point when we could have iced the game with a ground and pound O put Mike's D in a precarious position. Riley gets way to greedy at very inopportune times. He did the same thing in the Tulane game.

Lets be honest...L.R.'s 2nd qtr. bombs away play calling at a point when we could have iced the game with a ground and pound O put Mike's D in a precarious position. Riley gets way to greedy at very inopportune times. He did the same thing in the Tulane game.

I agree but wonder if some of that was Baker looking long instead of for the open receiver. Regardless Riley took the ball out of Mayfield's hand in the 4th which showed me something.

Reactions: iasooner1
If we all assume the OU players on defense at every position are better than the players from UTSA, THEN we have to assume the coaching on the defensive side of the ball at OU is FAR worse than the coaching at UTSA! Does Mikey even watch film? Obviously, UTSA's scheme was better...thus the 185 yds given up via the pass VS 463 yds given up last night? Why not use UTSA's scheme and roll out 11 better players and execute? Else, the OU players are NOT better than UTSA and there needs to be a focus on the coaching to get them there or recruit better.... Conclusion....Mike Stoops will keep OU out of the mix for anything other than morale victories and enough to make people think he actually can coach defense!! ANYTHING, is better than where its at.....therefore ANY coach can do as poorly as Mikey has....Therefore, give somebody..ANYBODY a shot at it! AND BAKER STFU!!!! Play football!!

If we all assume the OU players on defense at every position are better than the players from UTSA, THEN we have to assume the coaching on the defensive side of the ball at OU is FAR worse than the coaching at UTSA! Does Mikey even watch film? Obviously, UTSA's scheme was better...thus the 185 yds given up via the pass VS 463 yds given up last night? Why not use UTSA's scheme and roll out 11 better players and execute? Else, the OU players are NOT better than UTSA and there needs to be a focus on the coaching to get them there or recruit better.... Conclusion....Mike Stoops will keep OU out of the mix for anything other than morale victories and enough to make people think he actually can coach defense!! ANYTHING, is better than where its at.....therefore ANY coach can do as poorly as Mikey has....Therefore, give somebody..ANYBODY a shot at it! AND BAKER STFU!!!! Play football!!
One thing to remember. Smith's 1st start of the season was last night. He's a very talented player but young. He was a starter last year for the Bears.

Soloman, their Senior QB, is a transfer this year into BU's program and he was promised by Coach Ruhle to start. In fact, he was the Bears QB starter for the 1st 3 games when BU struggled mightily on offense.

Smith is much more talented, younger, and obviously fresher than Solomon and he was recruited by Briles so he was a natural fit for the offensive game plan used last night. Just like Briles did, you take what the defense gives you and OU was giving him the 5 yard slants and LOS lateral sideline routes all night and when the corners eventually crept closer, Smith threw downfield over-the-top and made Mims look like an All-American and Smith a Heisman candidate.

What we saw last night was Mike scheming like he did when Briles was there and Ruhle simply took a page out of the Briles' playbook forcing OU's hand. That's the past BU game plan/formula of a lesser talented team to defeat OU and Mike Stoops. And, it nearly worked.

OU and Mike Stoops will emerge from this game stronger and wiser. OU will be in the playoffs. That I'm sure of.

Last edited:
The ghosts of Rashaun Woods, Marty Gilyard, et.al., were on full display in the form of BU WR Mims....and true to form, Mikey let him continue to run free in single coverage on a career night. How many times do we have to watch the other team's hot WR not get our best DB or double coverage? The perennial answer: as long as Mikey is our DC. Those who thought the inept deep passing attack of tOSU was fool's gold for our passing D were right to worry.

Especially galling: The now inexplicably incompetent JordanThomas (who should have given up 2 TDs vs tOSU if not for a drop and bad pass) goes out injured, and we put in some untried DB on Mims...who goes on to catch a TD that puts BU within a score. We only put Motley on Mims for the last drive where BU's QB coughed up the ball on that final sack. This is criminally stupid for a DC with that much experience. You cannot teach this old dog new tricks.

UWV, TCU and oSu are all going to torch us. Luckily we can put up points....but why does it have to come to that? M. Stoops needs to go.

No.

OU took Baylor for granted and I believe it won't happen again this season.

1) What happened to the 4-3 or 4-2-5 we were going to run on defense? It looked like we ran a 3 man front almost the whole game...
2) Glad to see Riley admitted after the game his second quarter offensive gameplan was wrong

I really can't say I've ever been too impressed with Thomas. Every year he is praised as being an NFL talent, our best DB, etc. yet he continues to get beat on numerous occasions. So far I would have to say Motley is the better of the two.

I really can't say I've ever been too impressed with Thomas. Every year he is praised as being an NFL talent, our best DB, etc. yet he continues to get beat on numerous occasions. So far I would have to say Motley is the better of the two.

Couldn't agree more. He was beat for two touchdowns at Columbus, but was saved by the receiver in the 1st case and the quarterback in the 2nd. He was horrific Saturday night. On the flip side, the lack of pressure on the QB didn't help the back end at all... thanks again, Mike.

And ya know, by season's end I'm sure Mike will put together a few good games and it will be enough to keep his job.
I don't think Mike has made a tackle since 1980something.

Also not sure how Thomas suddenly looking like a freshman is the fault of the outside linebacker coach. But for too many of you guys, anything that goes wrong is Mike's fault. Or occasionally Tim's. The DB coach gets no blame. The DT coach gets no blame. The DE coach gets no blame. It's a curious dynamic.

Also not sure how Thomas suddenly looking like a freshman is the fault of the outside linebacker coach. But for too many of you guys, anything that goes wrong is Mike's fault. Or occasionally Tim's. The DB coach gets no blame. The DT coach gets no blame. The DE coach gets no blame. It's a curious dynamic.

Here we go indeed. No matter where the defensive flaws come from, the Peanut Gallery will blame Mike. It's pretty old, and counter productive. But Sooner fans don't care. And we'll get what we deserve as fans.

Pretty sickening, actually.

That's a good point. So where is the line between coaches getting credit for successes, but the players get the blame for failures?? You've said it plenty of times, that Mike has the rings and titles to prove he knows what he is doing. If he hasn't made a tackle since 1980something, then how in your line of thinking does he even get any credit for the successes on the field?? I mean in the end it's just a matter of players making plays or not right??

Plaino you used this exactly same defense for Josh Heupel, and the rest of the staff you called "the best staff in the country" right up to the bitter end when they all got fired. Makes me feel pretty good that Bob Stoops agreed with me, and not you.

And he kept Mike. But that doesn't stop you from blaming him for everything. There will always be times in any game when db's will be in single coverage. The other night, Thomas failed to make plays he typically has made this season.

Obo got solo blocked in pass rush and until the final drive, never got there. You blamed Mike for their failures.

If we had ramped up the blitz, and got beat, then you'd have bitched about Mike's stupidity to make it so easy to score quickly. There are surely times when a coach mighg have a poor plan. But your response is ALWAYS to blame Mike.

Nobody could have had a great plan against a team that used a toyally different offense than they'd shown all season.

You brought up Heupel for whatever reason. Josh's plans were mostly besides the point. His quarterbach was just not very good. When he was, with some one night magical pixie dust, we lit up Bama.

This team's offense is terrific and the plans look great. But Baker has a lot to do with that. The other night, the plan was lacking apparently. We didn't score any more than Liberty did. Haven't heard a peep about it. 49 is usually a good night, but we wore out Our D because we had too mant short possessions.

The only person you've blamed is Mike. Nonsense. Players make plays, or they don't.

And he kept Mike. But that doesn't stop you from blaming him for everything. There will always be times in any game when db's will be in single coverage. The other night, Thomas failed to make plays he typically has made this season.

Obo got solo blocked in pass rush and until the final drive, never got there. You blamed Mike for their failures.

If we had ramped up the blitz, and got beat, then you'd have bitched about Mike's stupidity to make it so easy to score quickly. There are surely times when a coach mighg have a poor plan. But your response is ALWAYS to blame Mike.

Nobody could have had a great plan against a team that used a toyally different offense than they'd shown all season.

You brought up Heupel for whatever reason. Josh's plans were mostly besides the point. His quarterbach was just not very good. When he was, with some one night magical pixie dust, we lit up Bama.

This team's offense is terrific and the plans look great. But Baker has a lot to do with that. The other night, the plan was lacking apparently. We didn't score any more than Liberty did. Haven't heard a peep about it. 49 is usually a good night, but we wore out Our D because we had too mant short possessions.

The only person you've blamed is Mike. Nonsense. Players make plays, or they don't.
No, if Mike had been blitzing to get pressure and his secondary gets beat, then that happens. But for Mike to basically play a version of prevent the entire game and STILL get beat deep, then that's pathetic. Lack of any pass rush for the majority of the game is absolutely Mike's fault. Mike's gameplan was pretty obvious to let the QB stand back there and pick his defense apart.

And yes the offense was a bit off for a while the other night. The difference is Riley came out and said his decisions were the issue. NOT the players. Credit to Riley for realizing it and making adjustments at the end that basically bailed out the defense and won the game.

And yes the offense was a bit off for a while the other night. The difference is Riley came out and said his decisions were the issue. NOT the players.[/QUOTE]

For me personally, this is the most difficult thing for me to accept about Mike Stoops. Not saying he has never accepted blame, but so many more times he has been critical of his players or dismissed poor defensive play as an unfamiliarity of the offense he is paid to coach against. The post game Ohio State statement last year was one of the most stupid comments I've never heard from an OU assistant coach. Then Saturday night he immediately starts talking about how he will be criticized by fans for his defensive plan while immediately pointing out he doesn't have enough DBs??? WTF. If that happens elsewhere I'd be surprised. Probably not by assistants at Alabama. Maybe, but I wouldn't think Saban would let that go on. But what could Bob do? And now what will Lincoln do if it continues? Riley accepts blame and seems to be prepared for criticism while Mike comes out as a complete asshole daring fans to question his performance. I'd rather he just shut up and show a little class. The question I have for anyone that wants to keep Mike is what do we have to gain by keeping him? Every year you should evaluate your staff, employees and ask that question. Just good management strategic planning.

Then Saturday night he immediately starts talking about how he will be criticized by fans for his defensive plan while immediately pointing out he doesn't have enough DBs???

Exactly.

The tale of two coaches:

Mike Stoops - "My players are making mistakes, and I don't have enough of them."
<Continues to play the same 5 guys and drives them into the ground.>

Lincoln Riley - "They made a good defensive adjustment, and it took me too long to respond, but once I did, they couldn't stop our offense in the 2nd half. Only we could stop our own offense by penalties and turnovers."
<Adjusts gameplan to fit the pace of the game, and continually rotates receivers, TEs and RBs to find the motivated and fresh players.>

Let's throw scheme and coaching ability completely out of the argument, Plaino. I don't care what you think of the backups. If you see a guy getting beat repeatedly or continually trying to jump a route to make a pick and getting out of his assignment, it's time to take him off of the field and discuss what's going on. I'm not saying he's not a great player. Maybe it's just not his night. Maybe he's thinking too much about how he's supposed to be the star, but his cohort is the one with 2 INTs on the season. Whatever is messing with his mindset to play the game right, I'd rather see a coach pull him if even for one series and let a backup take a shot for that game. And I'd respect the decision if that backup got burned. At least you tried something different rather than the insanity of continually making the choices that are DEFINITELY leading to destruction.

How did we end up with Jordan Thomas as the stud opposite Zack Sanchez? I'll give you a hint, he wasn't the coaches' first choice.

How did we end up with Parnell Motley as the stud opposite Jordan Thomas? I'll give you a hint, he wasn't the coaches' first choice.

Give some guys some in-game opportunities. Motivate these guys to play and be ready. If you're having practice problems with them, maybe it's because they have zero motivation if they're never going to see the field barring an injury.

Only one of those guys is the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. If Mike's responsibilities end at outside linebacker, then he shouldn't be the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR. It's his job to be accountable for the other defensive coaches and the overall play of the defense.

Uh huh. Sounds like Mike speak.

Funny how Phil Snow (Baylor DC) was able to change the Baylor defensive scheme after we were breaking the wheels off of their wagon in the first quarter and basically brickwall Riley until he made his own adjustments.

But we're not expected to have Mike Stoops make defensive adjustments in-game. That is absurdity.

The Stoop Brother have a Back 7 philosophy and it doesn't work. Brent Venables has a front 7 and it works. It ALL starts upfront, PERIOD! OU great defenses had GREAT Dlineman and LB's.

Mike Stoops hasn't recruited, great LB or Defensive Lineman, effectively. Hell, this year in Texas, might be the BEST DB class in 10 years and we have missed on almost all. Then add the best DB in Oklahoma, committing to tOSU. The loss of Venables recruiting, has really shown.

Yes we have lost 2 DB starters to jail and one to injury but it doesn't matter how great a DB is, if we do not get a good or great push upfront. Oh and Motley got burned on the 1st TD and we moved him. But Mike didn't move him back until he burned us for 2 more TD's.

We need great players and the coaching to match.

Mike Stoops is not a good X&O's coach. 4-3 really! I saw at lot of the same 3-4 sets.
Mike Stoops is not a great recruiter, he's average to lazy.
Mike Stoops makes average at best halftime adjustments
Mike Stoops is HORRIBLE with the players. Hell, he's not allowed on the sidelines at games.

I never wanted Mike back and I really want him gone.

You don't know what you're talking about. Lincoln said the opposite on his coaches show. And how much we pressure is his call. Not Mike's. As usual, you're a damn fool.
No he didn't. When Dean asked him about the running game in the 2nd half compared to the 1st half, Riley said straight up the difference in the 2nd half was him calling more running plays and that HE needed to do a better job at sticking with it. That is pretty much exactly what he said post-game when he answered Barry Tramel's question about why he went heavy with the run game late in the game. Riley answered back that he didn't do a very good job, got impatient in the 2nd qtr, and took too long to catch up with Baylor's adjustments.

So YES...Riley in both the post-game and the coaches show, he took ownership of his mistakes that were the root cause of the problems on offense. Did penalties and such also stall some drives? Absolutely. But Riley isn't dodging his responsibility for not putting his players in the right position to be successful.

Geez Plaino, you were bitching w/ a little pissing & moaning about a month ago on a Defensive coach hire. Now you're back into old cycle of protecting the failing coaches. Your storyline is getting old. You've been proven wrong so many times yet you keep coming back and keep getting slapped down.

Stick w/ the 1971 stories.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT