ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach has passed.

Did you all see this? Leach says he's glad his running back is leaving because he "isn't very tough". Then the player tweets out that he is leaving because he's not very tough and "Leach is glad I'm leaving". Ha ha ha! I hope Mike Leach is OK and makes a swift recovery.

Wow. This ain't normally the type of audience I'd share this with, but this hit too close to home.

"After the regular season, Leach told ESPN he had battled pneumonia throughout the season but was feeling better."

I felt sick since the beginning of November with pneumonia-like symptoms. Tough to breath, fluid in the lungs, fatigue, and I just kept powering through it for 3 weeks until on the night before Thanksgiving, my wife badgered me enough to go to the ER and get it checked out, so we could enjoy Thanksgiving. Got admitted that night, because I was having a heart attack. Spent Thanksgiving and its weekend in the hospital. I'm doing well now, so I'm not looking for boo-hoos, but I saw that line in this article and I just lit up and thought it would be a good cautionary tale to share with y'all in case I can help someone diagnose themselves better than I did or Coach Leach in a situation like this.

Wow. This ain't normally the type of audience I'd share this with, but this hit too close to home.

"After the regular season, Leach told ESPN he had battled pneumonia throughout the season but was feeling better."

I felt sick since the beginning of November with pneumonia-like symptoms. Tough to breath, fluid in the lungs, fatigue, and I just kept powering through it for 3 weeks until on the night before Thanksgiving, my wife badgered me enough to go to the ER and get it checked out, so we could enjoy Thanksgiving. Got admitted that night, because I was having a heart attack. Spent Thanksgiving and its weekend in the hospital. I'm doing well now, so I'm not looking for boo-hoos, but I saw that line in this article and I just lit up and thought it would be a good cautionary tale to share with y'all in case I can help someone diagnose themselves better than I did or Coach Leach in a situation like this.
Holy cow, that is scary!

Glad everything worked out for you!

From the article.

"According to multiple sources, Leach, 61, collapsed at his home in Starkville, but did not receive medical attention for between 10 to 15 minutes. EMTs used a defibrillator machine and delivered multiple shocks to restore normal heart rhythm."

Doesn't sound good at all. Likely brain damage occured during those 10 to 15 mins. Hope Mike pulls through. Dang.

Can't verify this but saw it a few mins ago.

Per 247’s MSU reporter Steve Robertson:

I wish I had better news, but I’m told UMMC has transitioned into comfort care measures for Coach Mike Leach. It’s essentially hospice care at this point.

I’m told he’s been largely if not totally nonresponsive since the cardiac event yesterday morning.

It appears to simply be a matter of time now. It all seems so unfair. Life is fleeting. Tell those you love who much you love them. Forgive, forgive, forgive.

We will not be working to break the final story. We will respect the family’s timing on all of that. Yes, we have a story ready to roll, but we will now await the official and unfortunate word from the University.

I can’t believe we’re even having these discussions. It’s so surreal. He isn’t just our football coach. He’s Mike Leach, a national treasure. I’m honored to say he was our coach for three seasons. It’s also nice to remember that he’s going out a winner.

Please remember his family, our coaches and players in your thoughts and prayers.

I love you all and Hail State!

67's post about the time after the heart attack until the paramedics arrived to revive him, was the biggest factor here. A massive heart attack can be recovered from. But having your brain turned off for 10 to 15 minutes can almost never be overcome.

A lot of us are at the age where we've dealt with the decision to turn off life support for a loved one who has their heart still be sustained by a machine, but whose brain is no longer functional. It's heart wrenching. This is likely the decision his family faced.

Paul Finebaum just said that he was the smartest coach he ever met. A head football coach in the SEC, who never played college football, and who has a law degree was one of a kind. OU was lucky to have him for a year.

67's post about the time after the heart attack until the paramedics arrived to revive him, was the biggest factor here. A massive heart attack can be recovered from. But having your brain turned off for 10 to 15 minutes can almost never be overcome.

A lot of us are at the age where we've dealt with the decision to turn off life support for a loved one who has their heart still be sustained by a machine, but whose brain is no longer functional. It's heart wrenching. This is likely the decision his family faced.

Paul Finebaum just said that he was the smartest coach he ever met. A head football coach in the SEC, who never played college football, and who has a law degree was one of a kind. OU was lucky to have him for a year.
"What kind of lawyer did you think you'd be? I dunno. Maybe product liability? Like if that camera guy's camera blew up in his face, we'd sue the heck out of that company.". Paraphrased, of course.

When I think of Leach and Oklahoma, I'll never forget Stockar McDougle and the Ninja Formation, so I immediately looked to see if Stockar was making any comments online. Not what I was looking for, but I was happy to see this gem. Stockar's son played for Coach.

I always believed he would someday get over the hump and actually pulled for him after his exit from Taco Tech of course. Sad news, RIP PIRATE!

Reactions: iasooner2000
If you can come up with anyone coaching in the NCAA that was as unique and entertaining as Mike Leach, I’d like to know who it is. It wasn’t his coaching, which was pretty damn good, but his personality that set him apart. I’d like to imagine a Leach/Saban like coach. Wouldn’t that be special!

If you can come up with anyone coaching in the NCAA that was as unique and entertaining as Mike Leach, I’d like to know who it is. It wasn’t his coaching, which was pretty damn good, but his personality that set him apart. I’d like to imagine a Leach/Saban like coach. Wouldn’t that be special!
Closest coach I recall was unique and entertaining was Bum Phillips during his Oiler years.
His firing on New Year's Eve 1980 pretty much ended my following of the Oilers and the NFL in general.

Having no blood flow to the brain for 10 minutes or longer isn't neurologically survivable unless you're in very cold water. He suffered sudden cardiac death. I don't think the cause has been identified yet.

Having no blood flow to the brain for 10 minutes or longer isn't neurologically survivable unless you're in very cold water. He suffered sudden cardiac death. I don't think the cause has been identified yet.

And his bout with Pneumonia very likely could have contributed to that. I think I read he had been dealing with Pneumonia for most of the year but said he was feeling better. I am just speculating but it likely didn't help.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine back in 2010, he was 46 yrs old, collapsed in his kitchen and never regained consciousness.
He always said he only needed 3 hrs of sleep a night and thats what got him I think. I remember thinking when he said that, no wonder he looks tired all the time. Healthy guy, 6ft 5 not obese former athlete and Coach, non smoker, non drinker just collapsed and gone. Never did hear exactly what the cause of death was but I bet it was his heart.

And his bout with Pneumonia very likely could have contributed to that. I think I read he had been dealing with Pneumonia for most of the year but said he was feeling better. I am just speculating but it likely didn't help.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine back in 2010, he was 46 yrs old, collapsed in his kitchen and never regained consciousness.
He always said he only needed 3 hrs of sleep a night and thats what got him I think. I remember thinking when he said that, no wonder he looks tired all the time. Healthy guy, 6ft 5 not obese former athlete and Coach, non smoker, non drinker just collapsed and gone. Never did hear exactly what the cause of death was but I bet it was his heart.
From the symptoms he was talking about having, it sounded to me like he might have had congestive heart failure. But he'd been with doctors enough that they should have discovered it, unless the pneumonia masked it. Most men Mike's age are a little young for congestive heart failure, unless they'd already had multiple heart attacks.

From the symptoms he was talking about having, it sounded to me like he might have had congestive heart failure. But he'd been with doctors enough that they should have discovered it, unless the pneumonia masked it. Most men Mike's age are a little young for congestive heart failure, unless they'd already had multiple heart attacks.
Makes me wonder about the possibility of blood clots….

Heart failure isn't just caused by heart attacks. A common cause of heart failure is chronic hypertension. Pneumonia isn't something that will mask heart failure. Just because it wasn't publicly known doesn't mean Leach didn't have a previous heart failure diagnosis.

All this to say that heart failure increases the incidence of sudden cardiac death which is why those diagnosed with HF often have implanted defibrillators. I'd put big money on HF being what was responsible for Leach's sudden cardiac arrest.

We have been noticing a lot more clotting issues as a result of the Covid vaccine. Family members as well as patients. I don’t claim to know anything about Mike Leach’s medical history, however, so it is impossible to really speculate.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
We have been noticing a lot more clotting issues as a result of the Covid vaccine. Family members as well as patients. I don’t claim to know anything about Mike Leach’s medical history, however, so it is impossible to really speculate.
The clots are real brother, imo. 👍

Heart failure isn't just caused by heart attacks. A common cause of heart failure is chronic hypertension. Pneumonia isn't something that will mask heart failure. Just because it wasn't publicly known doesn't mean Leach didn't have a previous heart failure diagnosis.

All this to say that heart failure increases the incidence of sudden cardiac death which is why those diagnosed with HF often have implanted defibrillators. I'd put big money on HF being what was responsible for Leach's sudden cardiac arrest.
I get that, But the symptoms of congestive heart failure aren't that much different than the symptom on pneumonia. He was talking about the difficulty of breathing over a long period of time. That is what describes what congestive heart failure sounds like.

JC... TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

I get that, But the symptoms of congestive heart failure aren't that much different than the symptom on pneumonia. He was talking about the difficulty of breathing over a long period of time. That is what describes what congestive heart failure sounds like.
Except the symptoms of heart failure are much different than pneumonia. Where are you getting the information that they present similarly?

Who is "we?" And where's the scientific literature to support the statement that "we have been noticing a lot more clotting issues as a result of the COVID vaccine?"

There's literature out there about a very rare condition known as VITT (aka TTS and VIPIT) that may be caused by the adenoviral vector-based COVID vaccines that has affected  several hundred out of millions of people vaccinated with an adenoviral vector based COVID vaccine. The literature describing blood clots possibly caused by an mRNA vaccine is literally a few case discussions.

Maybe he liked pork chops a little too much?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT