ADVERTISEMENT

linebackers

coeSooner81

Sooner signee
Oct 10, 2014
Going into the season this position was a huge question mark. They still are, Obo is suppose to be the next Striker, he is not even close. He hasnt done much as rushing the passer and takes terrible angles in the run game. Jordan Evans was hurt most of the game last night could barely move his right arm. Where are 5 star Kelly, Deberry, and McGinnis. These young guys have to better than whats on the field. Plus if a 5 star LB is on your team you better play him, if not why would other 5 star recruits come to your school. If he doesnt get on the field I could him transferring to a school back in Cali.

Going into the season this position was a huge question mark. They still are, Obo is suppose to be the next Striker, he is not even close. He hasnt done much as rushing the passer and takes terrible angles in the run game. Jordan Evans was hurt most of the game last night could barely move his right arm. Where are 5 star Kelly, Deberry, and McGinnis. These young guys have to better than whats on the field. Plus if a 5 star LB is on your team you better play him, if not why would other 5 star recruits come to your school. If he doesnt get on the field I could him transferring to a school back in Cali.
There is truth in them words

I know I'm looking past TCU, but OU's undersized LBs and nicked up D line is going to get demolished by the horn's "big boy" package with their massive O-line, 250 lb RBs and 250 lb QB (Swoopes). Once they get inside the red zone, our D-line and LBs have no shot at stopping the horn power running game.

I know I'm being a "negative Nelly" and there's still a lot of football left, but my confidence in Mike's D is pretty low and sinking fast with TCU and texass up next.

Reactions: BillyRay and CTOkie
I know I'm looking past TCU, but OU's undersized LBs and nicked up D line is going to get demolished by the horn's "big boy" package with their massive O-line, 250 lb RBs and 250 lb QB (Swoopes). Once they get inside the red zone, our D-line and LBs have no shot at stopping the horn power running game.

I know I'm being a "negative Nelly" and there's still a lot of football left, but my confidence in Mike's D is pretty low and sinking fast with TCU and texass up next.

I'd probably like and agree, but they are whorns, not horns... Just sayin'...

Reactions: BillyRay
Outside of Okoronkwa, Tay Evans, Jordan Evans and Bolton....all of whom are not very good so far....there's nothing behind them except inexperienced linebackers (true freshmen, redshirts and JUCO's) who simply have yet to prove their worth. You don't lose linebackers like Bond, Alexander, Striker, Lindley and Shannon without adequate replacements. This has not been done yet. And it may not be resolved until mid-season, after very possible defeats to TCU and Texas.
Kelly, Beal, Doucet, McGinnis and DeBerry should eventually be good contributors, but it may not happen soon enough.

Reactions: BillyRay
Kelly, Beal, Doucet, McGinnis and DeBerry should eventually be good contributors, but it may not happen soon enough.

And this is the hardest thing to accept by fans. With 2 losses, most fans have scrapped the season and are ready to move on and develop. A coach, however, never tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Question: why not mimic the offensive and defensive schemes of either Alabama or Ohio State ? Obviously, the talent would have to be recruited to fit these schemes, and of course be elite talent.....but why not move away from arena style football and schitty defensive play ?
If OU is to continue in the Big 12, then why not make such changes ?

Question: why not mimic the offensive and defensive schemes of either Alabama or Ohio State ? Obviously, the talent would have to be recruited to fit these schemes, and of course be elite talent.....but why not move away from arena style football and schitty defensive play ?
If OU is to continue in the Big 12, then why not make such changes ?

Ohio State runs too basic a defense for this conference and OU beat Alabama by 14 last time they played, so they suck... :confused:

Outside of Okoronkwa, Tay Evans, Jordan Evans and Bolton....all of whom are not very good so far....there's nothing behind them except inexperienced linebackers (true freshmen, redshirts and JUCO's) who simply have yet to prove their worth. You don't lose linebackers like Bond, Alexander, Striker, Lindley and Shannon without adequate replacements. This has not been done yet. And it may not be resolved until mid-season, after very possible defeats to TCU and Texas.
But, not only that, none of them from last year were that outstanding, all cut from the NFL except Bond, so my question, are they really 5 stars are pretend 5 stars. Or just not coached.

But, not only that, none of them from last year were that outstanding, all cut from the NFL except Bond, so my question, are they really 5 stars are pretend 5 stars. Or just not coached.

You might want to reread your post. It sounds like you are saying our NFL draftee linebackers were 5 *'s. They weren't.

BTW, Dom Alexander is still on the roster (Browns) and played last Sunday. Bond is inactive, I assume on the practice squad?

Last edited:
You might want to reread your post. It sounds like you are saying our NFL draftee linebackers were 5 *'s. They weren't.

BTW, Dom Alexander is still on the roster (Browns) and played last Sunday. Bond is inactive, I assume on the practice squad?

I didn't know the Browns were an NFL team... :confused:

Ok, what I meant to say is, we are not recruiting or coaching talent. We are not putting the Gerald Mcoys, in the NFL any more. Just saying.

I will only say this. Our linebackers failed to cover the outside run against tOSU. I have no idea if it was coaching or lack of speed....

Not really, look at Ohio State nfl draftees 16, I would say more talented, and better coached.
OU is tied for 9th place with Florida State (at 41) in the number of players in the NFL. Alabama leads all with 54, then LSU, then Ohio State and no Big 12 team has more than OU....not even Texas. Considering OU is not in Florida or Texas or California or the SEC, OU does about as well as can be expected.

OU is tied for 9th place with Florida State (at 41) in the number of players in the NFL. Alabama leads all with 54, then LSU, then Ohio State and no Big 12 team has more than OU....not even Texas. Considering OU is not in Florida or Texas or California or the SEC, OU does about as well as can be expected.
Well, look at it lately, we used to really add them, we have been slacking especially on the defense since Mike was hired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT