ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley/Offensive Line

DallasSooner

Sooner commitment
Jun 24, 2001
The two biggest things I took from this loss that were so disheartening was 1) we had new hope with Lincoln Riley and the fact we weren't able to score more than 17 points regardless the reason, not making adjustments on the fly, etc. is deflating.

and 2) the offensive line isn't a technique or thing you change over night. This team isn't going to get a lot better on the offensive line and good coaches are going to take advantage of that problem.

I would tend to agree that the OL has a long way to go. Seems to be retrogressing, and that trend will have to be stopped. I also think the loss of Ripkowski has something to do with the plummeting run game. He blew open some major holes...fullbacks are very underrated. Flowers is not getting it done however.

I was misled by Lincoln's resume'. I personally thought that the air-raid / spread offense would mask offensive line deficiencies. Mike Leach did it with sub-par talent. Art Briles did it with sub-par talent (at first). I would have guessed that we could do it with 3-star players.

I might agree with you except that of our 5 OL guys, multiple guys were being beaten on nearly every play. Don't forget that it was Mayfield's ability to run around while being chased that led to many of the exciting and effective pass plays that we have seen this year. Our front players have had trouble all year at times, but we never played a really athletic front that was bound and determined to push us around and had the ability to do so. Edge pressure and center guard combos being either pushed into the backfield or failing to get their hands on interior DLs whatsoever is a prescription for disaster regardless of offensive plan or scheme. If we had played last year's offense we would rushed for nominally more and would have thrown for probably 85-90 yards.

Our 5 best O players are Baker, Sterling, Pirene, Mixon and Andrews. These players should be on the field at all times. The RBs and TE are very good at catching passes yet we're not used last week.

I was misled by Lincoln's resume'. I personally thought that the air-raid / spread offense would mask offensive line deficiencies. Mike Leach did it with sub-par talent. Art Briles did it with sub-par talent (at first). I would have guessed that we could do it with 3-star players.

It would mask it a little bit if the QB would get the ball out a little earlier. I still think he's holding the ball a little too long, but maybe it's on the receivers for not getting open. Regardless, the line has to play better.

It would mask it a little bit if the QB would get the ball out a little earlier. I still think he's holding the ball a little too long, but maybe it's on the receivers for not getting open. Regardless, the line has to play better.

Yep, the oline is a big Achillies heel right now. That's a booger that will haunt us until it's fixed.

Reactions: iasooner1

You mean the offense we ran before the 2-year QB zone read experiment? I think it's close, but seems we're almost "forcing" the run game...and my concerns about Perine not being a fit for the spread appear to be realized.

Seems to me you run him out of the Power-I, or give Brooks (more like Q. Griffin) or Mixon the job...assuming they can block...which I'm not sure is safe assumption. But then, how do you reduce his carries after last year? Hope Riley's not doing the square peg/round hole.

I'd like to see us just air it out. We have better options supporting Shepard than we did last year, and a kid that can impersonated John Frickin Wayne playing QB. Build his confidence and timing early in the game and turn him loose...out of the pocket. I've seen glimpses of it, but nothing like we saw when Wilson and Josh ran it.

Reactions: iasooner1
Texas beat OU Saturday, running OU's offense of the last two seasons. You know, the one that got both coordinators fired, to the applause of 80% plus of the posters here. So it was the scheme last year and the scheme this year and the scheme according to most around here is the problem.

Because it's always the coaches' faults. Baxter's dropped pass early that cost us early momentum was the coaches' faults. Missed tackles are because players aren't being taught right.

Players adimitted that the team was flat coming out Saturday IN THE OU-TEXAS GAME and the brilliant minds here blame coaches. There are a couple of coaches I'd like to see gone on offense, but I don't think it's their faults either.

We blocked so poorly and tackled so poorly that the seemingly most relevant question afterward was about which was worse. There is s serious player leadership vacuum on this team.

And I do think that the whole mess in the spring and the reaction to the idiots in the fraternity are a small part of the issue. Marching arm and arm didn't seem to have helped much. There ought to be a severe team wide embarrassment by the guys who wore the white uniforms Saturday. Less by the defense than the offense.

But the OLine thing will wreck this season if there isn't a rapid correction. I'd say that Saturday reminded me of the Blake years, but one of Blake's three teams won the RRR against the eventual champions the first year of the Big XII Conference. It only goes to show the old deal about acorns and blind squirrels. Sometimes they invade each others space.

Texas beat OU Saturday, running OU's offense of the last two seasons. You know, the one that got both coordinators fired, to the applause of 80% plus of the posters here. So it was the scheme last year and the scheme this year and the scheme according to most around here is the problem.

Because it's always the coaches' faults

Do you actually have any idea how indirectly you are saying Bob Stoops is inept and incompetent with what you are saying here?

Reactions: fortworth4ou2

The difference I notice, especially with those Mike Leach coached Texas Tech teams, and our team in 1999, was the splits. TTech used to have massive splits between the center, guard, and tackle. Defenses had to spread out the DLine or risk not having a gap covered, and I think that helped minimize the pass rush and masked sub-par run blocking.

I don't know if that is something that Bedenbaugh is a proponent of or not, but I would try putting a scat back like Mixon in a one back set and with his start/stop jump cut ability let him run through the spread out DLine.

Because it's always the coaches' faults. Baxter's dropped pass early that cost us early momentum was the coaches' faults. Missed tackles are because players aren't being taught right.

Players adimitted that the team was flat coming out Saturday IN THE OU-TEXAS GAME and the brilliant minds here blame coaches. There are a couple of coaches I'd like to see gone on offense, but I don't think it's their faults either.

We blocked so poorly and tackled so poorly that the seemingly most relevant question afterward was about which was worse. There is s serious player leadership vacuum on this team.

And I do think that the whole mess in the spring and the reaction to the idiots in the fraternity are a small part of the issue. Marching arm and arm didn't seem to have helped much. There ought to be a severe team wide embarrassment by the guys who wore the white uniforms Saturday. Less by the defense than the offense.

But the OLine thing will wreck this season if there isn't a rapid correction. I'd say that Saturday reminded me of the Blake years, but one of Blake's three teams won the RRR against the eventual champions the first year of the Big XII Conference. It only goes to show the old deal about acorns and blind squirrels. Sometimes they invade each others space.

Riley gets an automatic pass in my eyes.

But there is absolutely no excuse(s) for the defense. Absolutely nothing. The DC has been around long enough to have his defense installed w/ his own chosen players etc. It's a failed product.

Do you actually have any idea how indirectly you are saying Bob Stoops is inept and incompetent with what you are saying here?

Can't speak for Plaino, but perhaps you could enlighten me on your logic?? I have NO idea how those words could be indirectly interpreted THAT way.

Can't speak for Billy Ray, but it appears 80% of the board & Bob Stoops saw enough discord last year to send Huepel packing and one of the 20%ers, thinks differently.

There wasn't a lot of Coaching harmony last year in Norman. Word has it it was a bit icey around the water cooler.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Can't speak for Billy Ray, but it appears 80% of the board & Bob Stoops saw enough discord last year to send Huepel packing and one of the 20%ers, thinks differently.

There wasn't a lot of Coaching harmony last year in Norman. Word has it it was a bit icey around the water cooler.

Did you know that 84.7% of all stats are made up? Also, I've told you a MILLION times to stop exaggerating!

Do you understand that I'm not saying that at all. You blame the coaches and the scheme for everything. Their players out executed our players. Do you understand that this post by you, shows how you blame Bob Stoops and coaches for everything. Players make plays or they don't.

Do coaches matter? Of course they do. But you can coach everything right and still not get a good result if guys don't make the play, they were in position to make. How any group of players at Oklahoma could be so unexcited to play Texas is just not fathomable.

Most coaches in such a game take extra pains to keep their players from getting too high for that game. Way too many of these guys phoned it in. After their two previous RRR performances, I wouldn't have thought that to be possible. That is on them.

They told us all week that they were being reminded daily of the game two years ago. Of course, two years ago, you blamed the scheme. It wasn't the scheme.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
From what I saw Saturday, you really can't put the blame solely on the players or coaches. IMO, it was a total team issue, and coaches are part of the team. Frankly, I strongly believe it's better that when you lose, everyone should take responsibility rather than blaming one group. It's a team sport. That may be too simple for some.

I was at the game and too sick to watch a replay later but in real time it sure appeared we missed a shit load of tackles, knocked each other down trying to get to the ball carrier, overran plays, etc. it also appeared their 2nd team DL dominated our 1st team OL. That is 100% on the players. Now that lame brain 2-4-5 defense, that is on the village idiot.

Happy Birthday Bama! You share this special day with my Mom. The staunchest and most loyal Sooner fan I know!

Tell your mom Happy Birthday from a big, big OU fan that was born down south but raised in God's country. Hope you have an opportunity to spend time with her today, somehow, someway. Boomer!

Here's to you a happy birthday.
Cheers!

fitty, you and I are going to get together one way or another. We live too close not to do it. We should have Tulsa area get together with ST and K2C. And any other Tulsa area message board members. Seriously.

Last edited:
fitty, you and I are going to get together one way or another. We live too close not to do it. We should have Tulsa area get together with ST and K2C. And any other Tulsa area message board members. Seriously.

Yep, if we can get K2sa away from his berg, and I know SoonerTulsan has a prodigious appetite:eek:...it could be a pretty good little party.
Perhaps we can get Soonermike to join us.
He'll have to drive up from __________, but it's not that far.

Let's do this before it snows!

Yep, if we can get K2sa away from his berg, and I know SoonerTulsan has a prodigious appetite:eek:...it could be a pretty good little party.
Perhaps we can get Soonermike to join us.
He'll have to drive up from __________, but it's not that far.

Let's do this before it snows!

I'm in. Would love it. Let's get together after a win. Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonersincefitty
I was at the game and too sick to watch a replay later but in real time it sure appeared we missed a shit load of tackles, knocked each other down trying to get to the ball carrier, overran plays, etc. it also appeared their 2nd team DL dominated our 1st team OL. That is 100% on the players. Now that lame brain 2-4-5 defense, that is on the village idiot.

Also very true on tackling. Saw a blurb on ESPN ticker that referenced the HIGH number of yards after contact given up by OU...some sort of milestone or record. Yeah....on the back-breaking long run...can't recall who the players were but chasing player knocked down our guy who looked to be ready to make the tackle after a relatively short gain.

Regarding the 2-4-5, I'm not aware of a poster here who will remain unnamed having anything to do with it. ;) Was actually thinking it was a 3-3-5 similar to what WV runs. Big write up on WV in USA Today just before our game.

Tell your mom Happy Birthday from a big, big OU fan that was born down south but raised in God's country. Hope you have an opportunity to spend time with her today, somehow, someway. Boomer!

Many thanks Oklabama. Will be spending the evening with her...and will pass along the message.

Reactions: Oklabama
I think it all boils down to the fact that I didn't cheer loud enough. I'm owning it. Fire away.

............. and Happy, Happy Birthday, Oklabama!

Slacker!
Stop playing that trumpet during the game!
I mean, I play guitar during the game to quell the nerves, but in my defense I only play Boomer Sooner.

That it's distorted beyond all reason and reverbed to the max is another story...:rolleyes:

Slacker!
Stop playing that trumpet during the game!
I mean, I play guitar during the game to quell the nerves, but in my defense I only play Boomer Sooner.

That it's distorted beyond all reason and reverbed to the max is another story...:rolleyes:

Fair enough..... I'm taking out the mute. Screw the neighbors!

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
A wonderful son is all that a mom/dad wants. Little things like being with your parents go a long way. I'm having dinner with my kids tonight. Better than a RRR victory. Really!

Aint that the truth! Spending time with the adult kids and the grandson is just such a great pleasure. We did a Black Hills tour last week with the oldest son and his sweet wife. Good times!

Happy Birthday Oklabama & many more as well. Enjoy your dinner & family tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT