ADVERTISEMENT

Landry Jones may be the starter in the Hall of Fame Game against the Vikings

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
Landry Jones could be getting the start for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

The former OU quarterback may get the call in the Hall of Fame game against the Minnesota Vikings. With backup Bruce Gradkowski on the physically-unable-to-perform list (shoulder), and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin electing to rest Ben Roethlisberger more this preseason because the team has five preseason games and a longer camp overall, Jones has gotten plenty of first-team reps.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that Jones, entering his third year in the Steelers' offense, is continuing his improvement even though he hasn't played any significant minutes in a regular season game yet. Working with the Steelers' No. 1 receivers, Jones has been sharp and could push Gradkowski for the No. 2 spot.

"I haven’t had any opportunities,” Jones said, regarding playing other than in preseason games. “Ben’s been healthy and Bruce has been healthy and so this is kind of the chance to go out there and show what I have.”

The Hall of Fame game is Sunday at 7 p.m. central on NBC.

http://newsok.com/landry-jones-starting-for-steelers-in-hall-of-fame-game/article/5438523

I hope he does well. Cementing himself as NFL #2 is an honor that only 32 dudes in the world can claim. Of course we have some overlooked talent on this board, but I'm sure they would have been included in the 32 NFL starters had they decided at some point to get serious about football.

I most undoubtedly could have been the next Brett Favre had it not been for 2 issues: 1) I'm not much into breaking a sweat, 2) my wiener is much too large.

Reactions: Schoonerman
I miss him to a point but I didn't think he would ever lead us to a title and I don't think guys we have now will either( or should I say the "potential" to lead us that far)...can't we just clone sammy b?

Reactions: BillyRay
Lack of NFL wr's and NFL lineman didn't play a part in his sometimes bone headed decisions. In fact scouts cited decision making as one of his negatives. Perhaps he has improved in that area and if so he has a good chance to atleast cement himself as a viable backup

Well, the amazing and enigmatic part comes into the equation when you consider this is a good, team player for OU that holds 6 or 7 Big 12 passing records.

That he accrued that feat in 4 years doesn't diminish the accomplishment.

I'm not getting into a thing here about defending Jones. He doesn't need that at all.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
I think Landry was an above average college qb. Positives were strong arm and good size, negatives were decision making and limited mobility. He was better than Paul, knight and hybl but not anywhere close to white, sammy or heupel.

I have always said that Landry was a very good college QB and making a team and sticking around for a while as a backup would be an accomplishment. Many good quarterbacks have not been able to do that so I think he needs to be commended. Backing up big Ben and being a part of the Pittsburgh Steelers would be a nice career. Hope I get to catch some of it Sunday

I hope he does well. Cementing himself as NFL #2 is an honor that only 32 dudes in the world can claim. Of course we have some overlooked talent on this board, but I'm sure they would have been included in the 32 NFL starters had they decided at some point to get serious about football.

Hey bro, I was offered a scholarship to play at OU, but I took my trumpet skills elsewhere. ;)

Reactions: iasooner1
An
Landry Jones could be getting the start for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

The former OU quarterback may get the call in the Hall of Fame game against the Minnesota Vikings. With backup Bruce Gradkowski on the physically-unable-to-perform list (shoulder), and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin electing to rest Ben Roethlisberger more this preseason because the team has five preseason games and a longer camp overall, Jones has gotten plenty of first-team reps.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that Jones, entering his third year in the Steelers' offense, is continuing his improvement even though he hasn't played any significant minutes in a regular season game yet. Working with the Steelers' No. 1 receivers, Jones has been sharp and could push Gradkowski for the No. 2 spot.

"I haven’t had any opportunities,” Jones said, regarding playing other than in preseason games. “Ben’s been healthy and Bruce has been healthy and so this is kind of the chance to go out there and show what I have.”

The Hall of Fame game is Sunday at 7 p.m. central on NBC.

http://newsok.com/landry-jones-starting-for-steelers-in-hall-of-fame-game/article/5438523

Anybody have an update? How's Jones doing?

I thought he did okay, but did not do anything to make him stand out. Looks like he's a solid backup, but that's about it. Right now, he just isn't a starting NFL QB.

I was out of town and didn't get to see the game. From what I have read, Jones performance was just average and he will be in a fight to make the team. My guess he that he was slightly inaccurate and made a few bad decisions. Same problems he had at OU

I really like Landry and was pulling for him to have a quality game. Preseason is tough,, but he wa not good at all. I would not be surprised if he fails to make the team. There were routine throws that were there, that he missed badly.

But the big thing is his inability to make anything happen when the play broke down. Same ole, same ole. The Vikings rookie looked a lot better In his first ever NFL game in mop up time.

Everyone please quit acting as though he had a bunch of walkons while at Ou. Landry has never had the IT factor, he is what he is and that's nothing to be ashamed of....a pretty good college qb and nothing more

I concur Plaino...
He was a gamer at OU and save for only less than a handful of times I was very pleased with him considering his supporting cast.

However, the NFL is a whole other proposition, and it's entirely possible he doesn't have the it factor.

That's a bummer.
He doesn't have the IT factor....ya think?

Everyone please quit acting as though he had a bunch of walkons while at Ou.

Some love to give Landry and "out" by claiming he didn't have the supporting cast that past OU QBs had like Bradford or White. First off, that's a bunch of crap since for most of Landry's year he had Broyles to constantly feed the ball too, who coincidently enough the 2nd most career yards and receptions of any other WR in college football history. Plus, people love to brag about the records he holds at OU, but somehow he was able to set those records with a less than stellar supporting cast as past QBs??

In reality, Landry had plenty of talent around him. The guy just didn't have the "it" factor and it showed at times. It's the reason Landry would show up on preseason Heisman lists, yet was never mentioned in Heisman talk by mid-October every single year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT