ADVERTISEMENT

Just for the sake of conversation

Oklabama

Sooner starter
Aug 10, 2004
Tulsa, OK
tell us what offensive and defensive player that you would like to see surprise the college football world this year. Surely, you all have a player that you just like, have followed, and want him to come out blazing for maybe the first time in his career. I'm not talking about the guys that are expected to shine, but if that's your choice so be it. My choice on defense is D.J. Ward. I followed Ward's recruitment and all the issues he had in high school his senior year and, of course, his medical problems since he has been at OU. When he signed with the Sooners I thought he would be a great one. From everything I've heard about him, he is a really good kid that's just had a tough time, so I would love for him to break out and make a statement this season.

My choice on offense is Alex Ross. Living here in Tulsa I followed him when he played at Jenks and was really excited when he signed with OU. Even though he has made a number of great runs, he hasn't lived up to my expectations thus far. I know and have read all the negative opinions that have been said and posted about him but this is a wish list post, so there isn't a wrong answer. Alex can be exciting and that's what I wish for him. When he gets a step, he is really exciting to watch and I love that.

Do I pick these two to set the world on fire this year? No, but these are two that have talent and I can't think of anyone that I would like to see come out of the shadows so to speak more than D.J. and Alex. I also would like Daniel Brooks to have a good year. Underdogs "rock"when they surprise.

Based on what OU's biggest needs are, I have to hope that any one of the four quarterbacks step up big time. If one of them does, it will have a positive ripple effect over the entire offense, even with questions at WR and the OL.
On defense, any young defensive back and/or linebacker coming through big time would be great.
Finally, the kicking game must be manned by a prolific place kicker...whomever that may be.

tell us what offensive and defensive player that you would like to see surprise the college football world this year. Surely, you all have a player that you just like, have followed, and want him to come out blazing for maybe the first time in his career. I'm not talking about the guys that are expected to shine, but if that's your choice so be it. My choice on defense is D.J. Ward. I followed Ward's recruitment and all the issues he had in high school his senior year and, of course, his medical problems since he has been at OU. When he signed with the Sooners I thought he would be a great one. From everything I've heard about him, he is a really good kid that's just had a tough time, so I would love for him to break out and make a statement this season.

My choice on offense is Alex Ross. Living here in Tulsa I followed him when he played at Jenks and was really excited when he signed with OU. Even though he has made a number of great runs, he hasn't lived up to my expectations thus far. I know and have read all the negative opinions that have been said and posted about him but this is a wish list post, so there isn't a wrong answer. Alex can be exciting and that's what I wish for him. When he gets a step, he is really exciting to watch and I love that.

Do I pick these two to set the world on fire this year? No, but these are two that have talent and I can't think of anyone that I would like to see come out of the shadows so to speak more than D.J. and Alex. I also would like Daniel Brooks to have a good year. Underdogs "rock"when they surprise.
Incoming freshman Dalton Wood from McAlester. Coaches have told him he will definitely see the field this year as TE, H Back, or who knows what else. He was a damn good QB in high school, I would like to see him get a shot at QB, but probably won't happen. Anyway I'm excited about the kid, coming from my hometown and all.

I'll go with Charles Walker on defense. We need a pass rush from the middle line and IMO we haven't had that in years. here's hoping he turns into Tommy Harris.

Offense has to start with the q-b. I'm going to chose Baker Mayfield. He had a poor spring game, but I actually watched a lot of his games when he was at Tech. Here's hoping he turns into Josh Huepel.

Good subject, hope you get some more answers........

I have no idea except, our success begins and ends at quarterback.
With that as foundation, I say Baker Mayfield should probably get the start.
Considering the following.
He has more reps than anyone else. He could easily adapt to Rileys throw first offense.
Also, one has to consider the spring game was an anomaly.
Last spring game he was flawless.
IMO, of course.

I won't offer a name because I'll put a hex on the guy. But here is a thought, something I love to see every year in college football. In this case, I'll focus on the Sooners.

For those who don't follow recruiting closely like myself, somebody out there is a "who?" today. This time next year, they'll be a household name because they stepped it up big time. Example: Samaje Perine. The guy earned every one of those stars.

That's what I was looking for, 22. Even without naming a player, you got my drift. Sam Bradford was one those surprise guys. Joe Don was one. There have been many Sooner players that have jumped out unexpectedly and exceeded fan expectations. I'd like nothing better than to have a couple of those type guys this season to go along with all the kids we think/should excel this year. The season can't get here fast enough. Boomer!

WNAS, IMO, Trevor qualifies as a player that many fans would be surprised to see excel, e.g., as in the Alabama game, so he is very good choice. I too like him and think he is a great young man, but like many I don't have a lot of faith in his ability to consistently perform at a high level. I would love it if he does, and I will be pulling for him along with you. I like your positive post.

I would like to see Joe Mixon explode on the scene sharing some carries and lining up in the slot alot. Screens, reverses, quick slants in space... I want to see him shut up the naysayers. He did his year of suspension.

On Defense, Devonte Bond. We really need a difference maker that is consistant and can really get to the passer as well as cover. This is a must.

I would like to see Joe Mixon explode on the scene sharing some carries and lining up in the slot alot. Screens, reverses, quick slants in space... I want to see him shut up the naysayers. He did his year of suspension.

On Defense, Devonte Bond. We really need a difference maker that is consistant and can really get to the passer as well as cover. This is a must.

Bond.....oh, I like that pick. What a story that would be. A player with one year to play bursting out. Good one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT