ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tweet from Dean Blevins...

I don't for one minute believe Bob knew no way no how.
He was called and Joe C told him after Lincoln told Joe. Bob was playing golf.
Joe C and Bob both look hurt and pissed at the same time, Bob more pissed than hurt.
He wouldn't elaborate on what he said to Riley before the team meeting, he said that was between him and Riley. I bet it wasn't pretty either.
Fastforward to the 14 minute mark.

Yea while watching the presser in real time you could tell Bob was pissed when answering that question. I don’t imagine Bob was congratulating him on his new job. Bob stuck his kneck out handing Riley the keys to Oklahoma. What a way to repay him huh?

We might have thought it was a time for a change for Stoops when it happened but his loyalty to the program that gave him his first shot has never waivered. He would have never crapped on the team or the fans the way Riley did.

Dean Blevins
@DeanBlevins

·
17m

Truth dribbling out. The timing of USC contact w/Riley reps, a wasted, disorganized & seemingly rudderless underachieving season, w/now conflicting statements about USC timing, makes it clear: W/out a shadow of doubt, #Sooners could've begun head coach search early Sept.
@news9
I am assuming he didn’t technically lie. I would assume he didn’t actually talk to anyone from USC until after the Bedlam game. But, I would also assume his agent had been in contact with them and likely LSU beforehand working on details.

This, to me, is the reason everyone should be upset. This reeks of half-truths. I don’t fault him for taking the offer USC put on the table, but I do fault him for how it happened.

While Stoops is off recruiting....or re-recruiting....I believe Castiglione is aiming high in his search to enable OU to not only recover from Riley's escape from SEC competition, but to bring OU up to the SEC style of play. And OU will have at least a year or two to remove its "arena football" style of play.
The more I look back on OU's 2021 season, the more I detect a team that never got better as the season wore on (which to me is very "un-OU" like") and a team that wasn't well prepared in most games and won (barely) simply by way of a superior talent level.
I am convinced that while this time is a small step backward, it is also a huge leap forward.
Better days are ahead.
Riley represents a Pied Piper image and he won over so many people with his one dimensional (no defense) and what I consider an extreme reliance on passing. These two elements prevented OU from reaching a much higher level and the poor representation in the CFB playoffs reflect this.
Time to play power football....both ways....and move on from Riley's stain.
And through it all, whatever criticism I had of Bob Stoops is null and void as he is stepping up to help put out this fire at a time when no one else could have provided his level of calm and confident leadership.

While Stoops is off recruiting....or re-recruiting....I believe Castiglione is aiming high in his search to enable OU to not only recover from Riley's escape from SEC competition, but to bring OU up to the SEC style of play. And OU will have at least a year or two to remove its "arena football" style of play.
The more I look back on OU's 2021 season, the more I detect a team that never got better as the season wore on (which to me is very "un-OU" like") and a team that wasn't well prepared in most games and won (barely) simply by way of a superior talent level.
I am convinced that while this time is a small step backward, it is also a huge leap forward.
Better days are ahead.
Riley represents a Pied Piper image and he won over so many people with his one dimensional (no defense) and what I consider an extreme reliance on passing. These two elements prevented OU from reaching a much higher level and the poor representation in the CFB playoffs reflect this.
Time to play power football....both ways....and move on from Riley's stain.
And through it all, whatever criticism I had of Bob Stoops is null and void as he is stepping up to help put out this fire at a time when no one else could have provided his level of calm and confident leadership.
This! In watching Bedlam, I, too, made that comment...'This looks like the Same Team that took the field in the First Game...No Real Progress, or Improvement Alllll Year'! The little nagging voice in my head repeated that every week...SOMETHING is not right with this team...NOW, we know what that was! I believe it also exposes riley's reluctance to introduce Caleb into the line-up, and to acknowledge the improvement he brought to the offense. In his pressers, he gave little credit or encouragement, and his behavior toward Caleb was suspect all season...Almost as though he was disappointed at seeing him succeed...

Riley’s interest in USC probably began shortly after September 13th, the day Clay Helton was dismissed from his head coaching position at USC. Certainly within weeks USC reached out to Riley’s agent or vice versa.
Agree.....and maybe Riley was looking ANYWHERE to escape SEC competition....ANYWHERE.
So he fled when he saw such an early alternative to take his "glass jaw"to.

This! In watching Bedlam, I, too, made that comment...'This looks like the Same Team that took the field in the First Game...No Real Progress, or Improvement Alllll Year'! The little nagging voice in my head repeated that every week...SOMETHING is not right with this team...NOW, we know what that was! I believe it also exposes riley's reluctance to introduce Caleb into the line-up, and to acknowledge the improvement he brought to the offense. In his pressers, he gave little credit or encouragement, and his behavior toward Caleb was suspect all season...Almost as though he was disappointed at seeing him succeed...
Riley’s ego was so butthurt that the fans booed his decision to continue to go with Rattler. That’s the very moment he knew things were changing for him with the fanbase and that the fanbase was questioning what he was doing. That along with the move to the SEC were something he wanted no part of.

when Riley said all year “We’re real close” he probably meant he was real close to being able to leave for USC. I’m glad Bob is around to help the team out and all and it’s probably just coach speak but his comments on Riley kind if aggravate me a little. When asked about Riley leaving and how he did it Stoops has been saying something to the effect of how ‘we’ve been friends with Riley and will continue to be friends with Riley’ that in my opinion doesn’t reflect the voice or opinion of the fanbase.what fan wants to be friends with Riley or his staff after this shit show.

I have a feeling Riley had discussed this possibility of him going to USC with Bob at some point but didn’t necessarily inform Bob that the choice had already been made in Riley’s mind. Bob seemed to avoid those questions in his interview yesterday and just talked about moving on.

Last edited:
Riley is an ass for the way he left OU. Everyone knows that. He will do it again one day most likely unless he grows a pair. Bottom line, he will be much more successful at USC in the future than he would have as the OU head coach competing with the likes of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, A&M, Florida and the other SEC schools. I guess the stress was more than he could bear so he jumped at the chance to coach in the weaker league at a school located in a talent rich recruiting territory. I guess that’s okay but there’s absolutely no excuse for the way he left OU for that opportunity. USC will probably get shit on too one day. And that will make me feel pretty damn good if I’m still around. BOOMER!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT