ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article

Scott knows his stuff...He not only could talk the talk, but he walked the walk...

In the first game I saw him play, Coaches All-State, 1986, he stood out. He was 'Special' in that group of Oklahoma's Finest. At OU, he got the job done, too, and no one was surprised...

Scott knows his stuff...He not only could talk the talk, but he walked the walk...

In the first game I saw him play, Coaches All-State, 1986, he stood out. He was 'Special' in that group of Oklahoma's Finest. At OU, he got the job done, too, and no one was surprised...

Scott was a gamer and probably the best defensive player on the team a couple of years when OU wasn't OU. A real star.

Really a great story. I've been hard on Jordan all year, but I have seen the difference and better effort he has put forth the last few games. Huh, I thought it was his LB coach, but now I know. How about that?

I guess the only thing missing in the story was "The coaches told me the same thing, but I wouldn't listen". Or maybe they didn't.

Really a great story. I've been hard on Jordan all year, but I have seen the difference and better effort he has put forth the last few games. Huh, I thought it was his LB coach, but now I know. How about that?
No kidding right?? I wonder if Jordan's dad was more frustrated by his sons performance, or watching game after game that the OU coaches didn't seem to be doing anything to correct it??

Thanks for the link V..that was one of the best articles I've read from the daily oklahoman in a very long time.

An interesting side note to this story...It first appeared in the 11-26-2016 Morning Edition. I read it, liked it, and agreed with it. End of Story.

Now, this one that you posted, V59, is considerably longer and tells what I consider, 'The Rest of the Story'...(Thanks, Paul Harvey). I now realize that the Early Edition was condensed, and this unabbreviated version, complete with the Tarzan/Jane Color Commentary and additional 'Scott Evans Quotes', is more detailed, and what could be expected from Dear Ol' Dad!

Glad I didn't scroll past this, with the assumption that I'd read it! THANKS for posting it!

Last edited:
I have been hard on him and the article was great. BUT, why didn't the coaching staff see the same things and bench his ass, run him till he pukes, suicides till he drops or better yet, another player get in his face and demand he play, tough every play? He's a Captain for god sacks, a suppose leader on the team.

I was hard on him as well. Watching him the last couple of weeks he has taken his game to a different level. I am also wondering why it took a talk from his Dad and not the coaches to get him to play like this. I would love to see Jordan get this work ethic and passion instilled in the rest of the defense.

Reactions: iasooner1
I guess the only thing missing in the story was "The coaches told me the same thing, but I wouldn't listen". Or maybe they didn't.

No coach should have to light a fire under a senior captain, ever. Jordan had a lot of responsibility. He has to get other guys lined up and on the same page. But he knows better than to wait until game day, to see if he can just turn it on. He's shown in the last month that he can be a quality, valuable player. But until Scott had a talk with him, he hadn't been as good as he was when he was a sophomore.

Reactions: veritas59
No coach should have to light a fire under a senior captain, ever. Jordan had a lot of responsibility. He has to get other guys lined up and on the same page. But he knows better than to wait until game day, to see if he can just turn it on. He's shown in the last month that he can be a quality, valuable player. But until Scott had a talk with him, he hadn't been as good as he was when he was a sophomore.

You're right, Plaino; no coach should have to light a fire under a senior captain's butt, but in this case it was pretty obvious that someone needed to. JE said as much in the article. Who knows? Maybe a coach tried and he didn't listen. I'm just glad he listened to his dad, because you can sure see the difference in the effort and results on the field.

So what you're saying, is the coaches may not be motivating the players like we would hope they are??

Reactions: Huntin Hard
You're right, Plaino; no coach should have to light a fire under a senior captain's butt, but in this case it was pretty obvious that someone needed to. JE said as much in the article. Who knows? Maybe a coach tried and he didn't listen. I'm just glad he listened to his dad, because you can sure see the difference in the effort and results on the field.

I think his quotes were telling. He had to face the coaches, but wasn't afraid to face them. He was afraid to face his dad. I'm pretty sure that Mike and Bob are more than a little willing to make the lack of effort known. But I don't think Evans was listening. I saw this kid two years ago, who at least gave great effort to try to get it done. I didn't see that the first half of this year. Maybe he got dinged a little. But I know that Bob and Mike and Kish knew his effort was a problem. But when a walk on is your backup, some guys are harder to motivate. I do think that Scott, knew exactly what buttons to push. It's made a difference. Hopefully, he'll be close to full speed, Saturday.

Reactions: veritas59
So what you're saying, is the coaches may not be motivating the players like we would hope they are??

No. What I'm saying is that in the team leadership has to be the real motivating factor on a championship team, and the guys most responsible for that are the captains. It why they get voted for. When one of the captains is short of motivation, maybe only a dad can fix that.

I'm pretty sure that Mike and Bob are more than a little willing to make the lack of effort known. But I don't think Evans was listening.
This paints the picture that for whatever reason, Evans doesn't respect what Mike and Bob are telling him. A better question is when did Evans lose his respect for the coaches?? This year?? Last year??
But you are right, Team Captains are responsible for motivating a team. And when the Team Captains fall short on motivation, the people above them in the pecking order are the coaches. So it's more of a story of how the coaches failed a team leader than anything. Especially if the Team Captain doesn't listen to what the coaches are telling him.

I've always thought the Capt is the Leader. The Standard. The Cream of the Crop. It's pretty telling when your Defensive Captain needs to have his butt set on fire... just saying.

Motivating a player is not something I can really lay at the feet of the coaches anymore. Not fully anyway. The idea that Jordan wasn't listening to his coaches I don't view as a sign as a lack of respect for what they say, but rather an attitude he let envelop him that nobody needed to tell him what to do. He already knew it all. Much harder to tune that out from pops, the man who played in the NFL and instilled in him years ago what it took to be a great player, captain and leader. Jordan couldn't look at dad and honestly say he was giving his full effort.

Just another example of the new world of college football we live in.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Motivating a player is not something I can really lay at the feet of the coaches anymore. Not fully anyway.

Maybe ever. I'd say anyone who thinks coaches are prime motivators to all athletes probably hasn't played sports before.
I know in every sport I played, my motivation came in spite of, not because of, my coaches. Getting yelled at by a coach does nothing more for me than desire to tank. Some people thrive from negative attention, others thrive from positive attention.

There are 22 starters on the team. I'd say the coaches don't have time to sit down and have 3hr heart-to-hearts and personal film breakdowns with every one of them every week.

We all get in funks too. Almost everyone that posts on this board shows some higher level of intelligence and probably are pretty successful at what they do through their own motivation. Raise your hand if you never get in funk streaks at work where you just don't have the motivation.

Reactions: bcsoonerfan
Maybe ever. I'd say anyone who thinks coaches are prime motivators to all athletes probably hasn't played sports before.
I know in every sport I played, my motivation came in spite of, not because of, my coaches. Getting yelled at by a coach does nothing more for me than desire to tank. Some people thrive from negative attention, others thrive from positive attention.

There are 22 starters on the team. I'd say the coaches don't have time to sit down and have 3hr heart-to-hearts and personal film breakdowns with every one of them every week.

We all get in funks too. Almost everyone that posts on this board shows some higher level of intelligence and probably are pretty successful at what they do through their own motivation. Raise your hand if you never get in funk streaks at work where you just don't have the motivation.

Nailed it. About all a coach can do is make a player look inward by questioning their heart. And then maybe benching them.

It depends on personalities. I had a basketball coach that I totally disregarded by the end of the season one year. He thought my thought process for a free throw was wrong, despite the fact that I had the best free throw percentage on the team... I will argue that he was an idiot to this day.

In football, I remember plenty of ass chewings. They all were followed by positive reinforcement though, so it was kind of both negative and positive, and usually worked... there are those who it doesn't help, and the best motivators will recognize that, whether it is with a group or an individual...

Reactions: JConXtsy
Motivating was one of Bud's BEST Talents, of which there were many...He could lift a player from tears, and ready to tackle a freight train, in a matter of minutes. He had an uncanny understanding of Human Nature, an arsenal of 'Tricks of the Trade', and the knowledge When, to use What with each player. He used 'One on One' often, and obviously, was able to bring out the Best in each player...

Geez it's incredible to read that some don't think it's really ever a coaches job to motivate their players. Lol

It's incredible that every opinion around here gets devolved into hyperbole. Pretty sure you won't read a single post in this thread stating it is never a coach's job.
I think what you're misinterpreting is the opinion that sometimes a coach isn't going to be able to get the job done whether or not he screams until he's blue in the face or holds their hands and buys them chocolates.

Last edited:
It depends on personalities. I had a basketball coach that I totally disregarded by the end of the season one year. He thought my thought process for a free throw was wrong, despite the fact that I had the best free throw percentage on the team... I will argue that he was an idiot to this day.

In football, I remember plenty of ass chewings. They all were followed by positive reinforcement though, so it was kind of both negative and positive, and usually worked... there are those who it doesn't help, and the best motivators will recognize that, whether it is with a group or an individual...
Good post man. I'm not saying every player has to be motivated. Look at kids like Baker Mayfield, Sterling Shepard, Brian Bosworth, etc. Those guys played their asses off and prolly needed little to no help getting motivated to play. But there are plenty of kids that will slack off if the coaches let them and just try to "coast" their way through.
I remember reading a story about Darrell Royal and his first game against OU in the Cotton Bowl and facing Bud Wilkinson. He said prior to the game he was so nervous he almost threw up because he knew all too well how motivated Bud would have OU to play the game that day. And no doubt Royal knew the importance of motivating his team as well when he said this, "But a head coach is guided by this main objective: dig, claw, wheedle, and coax that fanatical effort out of the players. You want them to play every Saturday as if they were planting the flag on Iwo Jima." I mean I dunno, maybe Bud and Royal never played sports either if they believed in a coach motivating their players....:confused:

Getting yelled at by a coach does nothing more for me than desire to tank. Some people thrive from negative attention, others thrive from positive attention. /QUOTE]

Good post, JCon. I especially agree with you on the above referenced section understanding that some kids need to be yelled at to get the best from them. Everyone is different.

It's incredible that every opinion around here gets devolved into hyperbole. Pretty sure you won't read a single post in this thread stating it is never a coach's job.
I think what you're misinterpreting is the opinion that sometimes a coach isn't going to be able to get the job whether or not he screams until he's blue in the face or holds their hands and buys them chocolates.
"Maybe ever"

You didn't really leave any grey area there for misinterpretation. Now if you didn't mean it is such absolute terms, then my bad for misreading into your post.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I think what you're misinterpreting is the opinion that sometimes a coach isn't going to be able to get the job whether or not he screams until he's blue in the face or holds their hands and buys them chocolates.

The idea that we can give credit where credit is due, even to Mike Stoops or any of the defensive coaches, isn't exactly something many on this board are capable of right now. This creates and "all spins negative" outcome often.

Players need to motivate themselves and each other. The coaches need to find what the necessary stimulator is to spark the motivation.

"Maybe ever"

You didn't really leave any grey area there for misinterpretation. Now if you didn't mean it is such absolute terms, then my bad for misreading into your post.

"Maybe ever" was in reference to what I assumed was the underlying point of BC's post - that coaches TODAY have more difficulty motivating players.

Motivating a player is not something I can really lay at the feet of the coaches anymore.
Just another example of the new world of college football we live in.

I'd say anyone who thinks coaches are prime motivators to all athletes probably hasn't played sports before.

I was just saying, I'm sure coaches have always had difficulty motivating some players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT