ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate needs

The group of running backs without a newcomer coming in the 2021 haul could still be good and deep, if a few things happen.
Brooks returns.
McGowan will be very good.
Major has potential to become solid. His game against Texas featured a 7 yard TD run and a 21 yard run. He was a 4-star recruit out of high school.
Stevenson is a proven back. I think he will return for an extra year if he gets it due to Covid-19 and because he may not feel he's NFL-ready.
Mikey Henderson is what I regard as a bit of a "Swiss army knife" at HB, TE, receiver or running back.
On the O-line there are freshmen/redshirts like Anderson, Alexander, Parks, Nelson and Raym (whom I think will be a star)....with newcomers Byrd and Montgomery. Swenson is the only senior and he won't be too hard to replace. Chris Murray, the transfer from UCLA would replace Humphrey if he leaves. But I do agree that the OL needs improvement, especially from what was seen recently.
DL is coming around, especially especially if Perkins returns. Stokes is the only senior leaving. DE's Downs and Kibonge and DT's Gilliam and Coe are newcomers to watch. Winfrey, Thomas, Grimes, Ellison, Kelley and Roberson make up a good DL rotation.
Terry and Mead are the only senior linebackers. White, Asamoah, Barnes and Bonitto return and I believe Wete (DE/LB), Walker and Whittier from the class of 2020 are promising.
Newcomers at LB Clayton Smith is a 4-star with huge potential and Stutsman looks promising from what I have seen and heard.
Kicking game is in good shape.
The secondary has three highly rated newcomers in Mukes, Harman and McCutchin. Sylie and Tre Brown are the only two seniors and there is talent in the remaining group....a very young group.
Much of the improvement in OU's secondary was due to a better pass rush.
What I'm seeing more of with Riley is his use of players throughout the team's depth chart. Even the minimal playing time by some of the younger players can go a long way in the future.
Getting to the level of Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State may never happen, but if it ever does, it is not happening overnight.
I'll add in Ugwoegbu. He and Bonitto were coming on as some of the biggest playmakers on the team imo. Wish Perkins was coming back, definitely need to find his replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT