ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate needs

Center, RB, and Full Back seem to be the highest priority. Seems like we missed the boat in 2021 Class. Need to get Riley off his over top fetish for WR.
Fullback/HB....Henderson, Hall and Willis should return.
Center....a big priority unless Humphrey decides to stay. He's still thinking it over.
Running back....Brooks, Major.....then Henderson if Riley moves him there....and I would bet that OU keeps chasing L.J. Johnson until the end. And what is Stevenson's situation given the pandemic year of perhaps one extra year ?

Center is huge, the only centers on the team are Humphrey and a senior walkon. The kid that out of Allen that transferred to Missouri was the next center. Demarco Murray hasnt guess having a NFL star didnt help with recruiting, back to back year OU loss a RB to Bama.

Center is huge, the only centers on the team are Humphrey and a senior walkon. The kid that out of Allen that transferred to Missouri was the next center. Demarco Murray hasnt guess having a NFL star didnt help with recruiting, back to back year OU loss a RB to Bama.

DeMarco.... DeByeBye. He was brought in for his name appeal and that aint shining too bright.

Biggest needs

RB
Safety
Mike
DB
Tackle
WR, I know this is unpopular, they have the athletes but suck at route running.
OG/Center
Dline

I did them in order of need

Nice. I always appreciate your input. You seem to have go info, in particular, regarding the recruits. For instance I think you called the Bowman flip...has anyone determined how the number of scholarships is working with a year does not count towards anyone's eligibility?

Reactions: 8085sooner
Nice. I always appreciate your input. You seem to have go info, in particular, regarding the recruits. For instance I think you called the Bowman flip...has anyone determined how the number of scholarships is working with a year does not count towards anyone's eligibility?

Btw I would put safety and offensive tackle at the top. Eliminating big plays while introducing more turnovers (ball hawk) on the back end and having two anchors on the outside which need no help cures many others issues and improves many players output.

Reactions: iasooner1
The group of running backs without a newcomer coming in the 2021 haul could still be good and deep, if a few things happen.
Brooks returns.
McGowan will be very good.
Major has potential to become solid. His game against Texas featured a 7 yard TD run and a 21 yard run. He was a 4-star recruit out of high school.
Stevenson is a proven back. I think he will return for an extra year if he gets it due to Covid-19 and because he may not feel he's NFL-ready.
Mikey Henderson is what I regard as a bit of a "Swiss army knife" at HB, TE, receiver or running back.
On the O-line there are freshmen/redshirts like Anderson, Alexander, Parks, Nelson and Raym (whom I think will be a star)....with newcomers Byrd and Montgomery. Swenson is the only senior and he won't be too hard to replace. Chris Murray, the transfer from UCLA would replace Humphrey if he leaves. But I do agree that the OL needs improvement, especially from what was seen recently.
DL is coming around, especially especially if Perkins returns. Stokes is the only senior leaving. DE's Downs and Kibonge and DT's Gilliam and Coe are newcomers to watch. Winfrey, Thomas, Grimes, Ellison, Kelley and Roberson make up a good DL rotation.
Terry and Mead are the only senior linebackers. White, Asamoah, Barnes and Bonitto return and I believe Wete (DE/LB), Walker and Whittier from the class of 2020 are promising.
Newcomers at LB Clayton Smith is a 4-star with huge potential and Stutsman looks promising from what I have seen and heard.
Kicking game is in good shape.
The secondary has three highly rated newcomers in Mukes, Harman and McCutchin. Sylie and Tre Brown are the only two seniors and there is talent in the remaining group....a very young group.
Much of the improvement in OU's secondary was due to a better pass rush.
What I'm seeing more of with Riley is his use of players throughout the team's depth chart. Even the minimal playing time by some of the younger players can go a long way in the future.
Getting to the level of Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State may never happen, but if it ever does, it is not happening overnight.

DeMarco.... DeByeBye. He was brought in for his name appeal and that aint shining too bright.
OU has been selling OLine greatness for 5 or 6 years. The mask of that fallacy came off this season. Not sure how much COVID reduced spring and preseason practices had to do with it, but at least temporarily, Boss Sauce lost his touch.

That needs to change quickly. From reports, Murray had the 2nd best RB on our list loving him. But he wouldn't wait. We gambled and lost.

Fullback/HB....Henderson, Hall and Willis should return.
Center....a big priority unless Humphrey decides to stay. He's still thinking it over.
Running back....Brooks, Major.....then Henderson if Riley moves him there....and I would bet that OU keeps chasing L.J. Johnson until the end. And what is Stevenson's situation given the pandemic year of perhaps one extra year ?
LJ Johnson is a lost cause as ou and he went different directions 6 months ago. Stevenson depends on what type of bowl game he has against the vaunted SEC Gators. WS

Reactions: soonersoldier
LJ Johnson is a lost cause as ou and he went different directions 6 months ago. Stevenson depends on what type of bowl game he has against the vaunted SEC Gators. WS
Maybe, but all I know is Johnson's still uncommitted and according to sources has not eliminated OU from his consideration.
I'm also aware that OU is on the outside looking in now.....but OU is still looking in.

Told ou is getting a PWO punter from East Coast that will give RM some competition. WS
How many of Mundshaw's punts were returned for significant yardage this year ?
However, there's no doubt that OU is always looking to find good kickers. Historically, OU has always had a good kicking game.

RM is an average punter. Not great, not bad. I can live with an average punter as long as the defensive improvement continues on its current trajectory.

We need to go after ND safety Houston Griffith. He would be a very solid get for Grinch and his defense. He just entered the transfer portal.

We’re very stacked heading in 21

The two position groups which were guilty of under performing in 2020 were the offensive line and the WR’s.

We’ve got plenty of OGs and McIver and Murray can both play Crnter.
I feel Murray will likely play center and Robinson will kick out to OT because Raym has placed himself squarely in the mix to start.

The portal may bring us a starting OT but if not Erik Swenson will be back although he’s very hit and miss. Also we have several young OTs returning in Anton Harrison, Brey Walker, Stacey Wilkins, and Noah Nelson.

Kat Bryant, would make losing Perk a whole lot better.

Christian Tutt, DB, nickel back. Both guys are out of Auburn

Are there any transferring players known to be considering OU ?
The USC running back, Markese Stepp, is headed to Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT