ADVERTISEMENT

I would call this Damn Good OU Defense

bullmarket

Sooner signee
May 29, 2001
In the second half we held KSU to only 13 yards rushing and KSU scored only 14 points (of which 7 points was due to our punter dropping the snap) and we scored 32 in the second half.

For a quarter and a half the defense showed what they're capable of.

Still no logical explanation for not playing Gallimore from the start.

No explanation for not loading the box from the start.

No explanation for not playing aggressive to get tackles for loss on early downs and force the Wildcats to pass.

I'm just a simpleton but I believe I'd have put 4 bigs on the LOS scrimmage WITH Obo in his Jack position. Murray and Beal or Kelley at weak and middle.

We don't change anything with regards to who we're playing week to week. I'd call it a head scratcher but at this point I've got a hole in my scalp.

Key words, "Damn Good OU Defense". That may be true. For OU it may have been damn good defense, but compared to championship defense it wasn't close.

There is absolutely no consistency in our defense. Hot, cold, hot, cold. I never know what defense will show up. I would like to see the defense that showed up against Ohio State every game.

Defensive recruits will not want to play for OU, not the good ones. MIKE please retire.
From the Rumor Mill, which works 24/7 in churning out Daily Surprises for us, I've heard that when Boren leaves, that Joe C. will assume the Presidency, and Bob will then become AD...How nice for Mikey...Ongoing Job Security!

From the Rumor Mill, which works 24/7 in churning out Daily Surprises for us, I've heard that when Boren leaves, that Joe C. will assume the Presidency, and Bob will then become AD...How nice for Mikey...Ongoing Job Security!

I don't think so. Joe C I don't believe will owe offered the Prez job. I'd be shocked if he did. The Prez job will be filled most likely on the academic side.

No he is terrible, every team scores the most points in there season against OU while other teams hold them to half. I bet Tech puts ups up 35 next weekend

If K-State had a more complex offense then maybe there would be some leeway. But they basically have 5 plays they run. Those 5 plays clicked every time in first half. So what goes on in Jack In The Boxes mind before the game?? Does he even watch game films?? He seemingly reacts and does not prepare.

In the second half we held KSU to only 13 yards rushing and KSU scored only 14 points (of which 7 points was due to our punter dropping the snap) and we scored 32 in the second half.

Bull, I'm kind of like you, I like to point out the positives:
1) If that wasn't a Heisman performance from Baker, I don't know what is.
2) Breakout game for Marquise Brown. Another weapon emerging for Baker.
3) Defense remains shaky, but at least not many injuries. Let's give them a chance to improve as the season goes on.

Reactions: iasooner1
Bull, I'm kind of like you, I like to point out the positives:
1) If that wasn't a Heisman performance from Baker, I don't know what is.
2) Breakout game for Marquise Brown. Another weapon emerging for Baker.
3) Defense remains shaky, but at least not many injuries. Let's give them a chance to improve as the season goes on.

BTW Mods, do I have to have the binoculars on every post that I make? If you look at my recent history, I do not post argumentative stuff.

KSU, has ran the EXACT same offense for years. But OU looked lost the first half. Did they not run a scout team last week? Did they watch ANY game film?
Did they study tendencies? Have they not seen a scrambling QB, ever damn day in practice? KSU did absolutely nothing new yesterday, nothing.

I have no idea, what MS, does for game prep but our boys looked lost, the first half.

Many time during the first half, the defense would line up then look to the sidelines for the call. Several times, KSU snapped the ball right as they were getting back in position. I don't think I have seen the defense do that as often as they did in the first half against KSU. I wonder if the coaches were trying something new. Didn't happen as often in the second half when they played better.

KSU, has ran the EXACT same offense for years. But OU looked lost the first half. Did they not run a scout team last week? Did they watch ANY game film?
Did they study tendencies? Have they not seen a scrambling QB, ever damn day in practice? KSU did absolutely nothing new yesterday, nothing.

I have no idea, what MS, does for game prep but our boys looked lost, the first half.

Mike’s the DC but damn don’t the position coaches have the authority to make game adjustments or would Mike take that to be a Cain mutiny type scenario? I’m waiting for someone to step up and say “I’m taking command of the ship” when the captain has obviously lost it. Well not really but geez.

K-State's punter was a no show in the first half. And wasn't it 4 appearances by the punter in the second half? Wow! Was Mike responsible or did someone nudge him a bit? Think of the outcome had OU played second half defense all game long.

Just how much further will some of you allow yourself to fall? To post...

"I would call this Damn Good OU Defense", is a pretty sad statement and a testament of how far some have fallen as a fan of OU football. And to be honest & sincere, I'm embarrassed for some of you. Your blind loyalty and love for OU football deserves better.

Just how much further will some of you allow yourself to fall? To post...

"I would call this Damn Good OU Defense", is a pretty sad statement and a testament of how far some have fallen as a fan of OU football. And to be honest & sincere, I'm embarrassed for some of you. Your blind loyalty and love for OU football deserves better.
^^^ this post is deserving of a standing ovation!!!!

Could motivation (or lack thereof) be the culprit on D with our players and staff? We have talent in abundance on that side of the ball with 4stars and one 5 star player.

Think about this for a moment. Baylor played a first game QB (2017) and he had a massive game. This was predicted to be a blowout for us. The next week, ISU started their backup QB (his 1st start this season) and he had a huge game for our only loss. Another predicted runaway win for us. In the RRS, Ehlinger, a Freahman, started for the injured Beuchele and nearly beat us. We were decent favorites to win. Against KSU, a QB in only his 2nd career start made us look silly and almost defeated us. Another big win predicted for us considering how the Wildcats have fared this year.

Could our unfamiliarity with these QB's adversely impacted our thinking? Could our over-reliance with our offense winning our games made both players and staff on D lazy due to inferior opponents?

If I'm right, we should have monster games against our remaining schedule against mostly tougher competition (see tOSU victory lap).

Food for thought?

Last edited:
For those of you who thought we were much improved on D in the 2nd half, we were obviously better statistically but was that the real deal?

Our offense was much better and had better time of possession due to their productivity. Initially, we got a stop or two right off the bat and our O made them pay for it. But in crunch time, KSU's offense picked up as it was in the 1st half scoring 2 consecutive TD's en they had to. Their 1st TD was an absolute gift but they pounded us once again with the run. The 2nd TD mixed both the pass (3 huge completions) and run to score when they absolutely had to. A must drive by the Wildcats.

Is there anyone here confident our D would've stopped KSU"s offense when they got the ball back (7 seconds left) if there had been more time on the clock?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT