ADVERTISEMENT

I will just say it since nobody else will

Welcome back? He compares a longtime member to Hitler and you say welcome back? Never in my almost 15 yrs on this board did I ever think that I would see such nonsense as a fellow Sooner being compared to HITLER because of a Complaint about MS and OU's defense the past few years. You guys can have it, I am done. Adios Scoop, been fun for almost 15 yrs but that did it for me.
I have to leave on my own free will because if I say what I want to I will be banned anyway so I leave on my own terms.
24020424.jpg

You guys keep running people off there will be nobody left to run off. How many have to leave before someone with a sack stops this shit?
Man no reason to resort to such action. He rarely even posts over on this free board anymore anyways.

Reactions: iasooner1
Our defense was on the field for 101 plays yesterday.

It gave up 500 yards and 33 points.

I know some of that is attributable to the way our offense plays. But how much?

If you held a gun to my head, I would say our LB core is playing at maybe a "C+" or "B-" level, and our Defensive line at a "C" level. Defensive back field is fine. T. Brown might end up playing on Sundays. Motley has an outside chance to do that too.

I think part of our problem is sheer talent on the front seven. Our run defense isn't scaring anybody. When was the last time we had a D-line man or LB go high in the NFL draft? Is that on MS?

And every time someone screams for MS head, I remember how BV got run out of town on a rail because his defenses were so "awful".

I disagree with your premise that our secondary is playing well. I feel like they miss too many tackles and are undersized and also young so somewhat expected. However, I do agree our D-line talent has been suspect over the last few years. I know there is a supposedly resurgent emphasis in recruiting but I'm not seeing it on the D-line in total especially compared to secondary and skill positions. I suspect that is as much to do with the conference we play in but also could be the negative press we receive for poor defensive performance. Also, hearing we have lost the past two high ranking defensive recruits in state. If true, we definitely have a problem on that side of the ball and I doubt a replacing Mike will completely change that.

Big XII comprises about 15.3% of the Power 5 teams.
Big XII defensive backs represent only 7.5% of the NFL DBs.

That could mean quality DBs don't want to play in the Big XII.
Yeah this conference has a PR problem on Defense. Well not just a PR problem but studs seem to steer clear for various reasons and I'm sure bad press and performances are at the top of the list as to why. So, it's up to the coaches to build up the talent they have and that is where I think the fans calling for MS job have a justified argument. I also think schemes can be an issue, lack of adjustments, etc. I guess the argument is basically a chicken egg scenario. We must get better talent to compete at a national level and we need to get the most from our current roster which I do feel MS fails at more often than not. I think BV is the poster child for grass is greener and really have no idea if we will see Mike succeed at another venue. I lean against it just because I've never felt he makes adjustments well in game. However, if you give Mike an all nfl dline like Clemson's and I suspect our opinion of Mike would be better.

I agree fully. Seeing the stat once I calculated it though, I wonder if there is some low-level defense of MS not being able to recruit the proper talent.

My guess is that good DBs know that the Big XII offenses aren't going to highlight their abilities. Too much ball distribution and short passes (no opportunity to show lockdown skills), or maybe too many great receivers come to the Big XII to enjoy the spotlight, and the DBs fear playing the best every week.

Thanks for taking the time to calculate that. In sports stats never tell the whole story but they are as close as we can get to objectivity. As far as our defensive talent I'm really troubled by Caleb Kelly. He is a multi-year starter rated very high coming out of high school. How are we going to land defensive stars when 1. we are not putting them into the nfl and 2. we are not developing the ones we have to their highest potential? I think MS is hamstrung a bit due to the size of our secondary but it is not pretty to know the percentage of db's coming out of this conference and not making it to the next level. I assume similar stats exist for dline and linebackers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JConXtsy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT