ADVERTISEMENT

I will just say it since nobody else will

OUSOONER67

Sooner starter
Mar 23, 2004
Everywhere
If Lincoln Riley cannot see the writing on the wall its time to cut the Stoops Cord and truly make this team his own. If he does not that boat anchor that is Mike Stoops will forever keep him from realizing his true potential and making his own mark on this program. OU fans deserve better than the embarrassment that Mike Stoops brings to the Program week in and week out. Take a look at Social Media at how many people are saying Mike needs to go. If so many fans see it how can Joe C. and LR not see whats going on? How much is LR and Joe C. making to make sure they see whats going on in the Program? Bob if this is somehow your doing then GD you for not caring enough about your legacy.
Its way past time for the Stoops Umbilical Cord to be cut!
Lincoln take control of YOUR TEAM, its yours now not Bob's or Mikes. Thanks for your time Stoops Brothers but it is time for OU to move on.
This is one very long time Sooner fan Former Season Ticket Holder thats had ENOUGH!

Last edited:
No one wants OU to return having its defensive reputation return more than me.
But yesterday's game featured OU playing a team that looks to have regained its spot of being relevant again. Army is not a super power anymore, but it has reached a level of competition like its two other academy schools, Navy and Air Force and can play any team in the country competitively.
Army's offense is so unlike any that this OU team has ever faced and Army's players are smart and well coached, more so than most teams Army plays....especially OU. That is no excuse for poor tackling, but it does illustrate how a precision-run option offense can really level the playing field against a heavily favored opponent. Air Force did the same in 2012 at Norman, also losing by only a touchdown, 24-17.
I give Army credit for having a good team.......but I now am deeply concerned about OU's remaining season with its inability to tackle well and its overall average defense. This is made even more problematic by a resurgent Texas team that has scored 34 unanswered points vs USC and 21 unanswered points vs TCU in its last two games.
Given what I have seen this year with OU's defense and with Caleb Kelly's sudden and surprising regression (which has to be at least partially due to coaching) , I believe strongly that defensive coaching changes and a resolve by Lincoln Riley to prioritize defense as much as he does the offense, which is now mandatory and urgent.

OUSooners 67 & CT - OU Pres is the Chairman of the Board. Joe C. is the Chief Exec Officer and Lincoln is the Chief Operating Officer. I think Lincoln has limited organizational powers pre-dating his appointment as HC (Mike Stoops). I think Mike is an untouchable for Lincoln is some form or fashion. I think the thread of support for Mike is between Bob and Joe. I give Army kuddos for their game. When an opponent holds a 3 to 1 time of possession against OU this tells us that Army game planned OU and OU did not game plan army. They kept our offense off the field for 45 minutes. Inverted, our defense allowed their offense to stay on the field for 45 minutes. This is on Mike Stoops not preparing the defense to the abilities of the Knights. Army said that OU played a defense that they practice against. Was Mik completely unaware of this fact? Show Army something new for god's sake. I think Joe C is the culprit in this saga. Lincoln needs to be given the latitude to fire or demote Mike. Lincoln, failing to do so assumes sole responsibility. One way or another, our defense is average at best. I agree that Texas, OSU, TT, TCU and WVU looms large now.

Obviously Mike Stoops is the football program's "turd in the punch bowl" and he isn't going away. No other school wants him and his last name is Stoops. That ship has sailed.
However good Army's offense is, the fact remains, as Scottsdale pointed out, that OU looked totally unprepared.....even surprised....in trying to stop the Knights' offense. And it may have been both a case of poor preparation as well as a lack of effort. Both of which are inexcusable for a program like OU.
On top of playing so poorly on defense, Army stuffed OU on the 1 yard line, which tells me the offense line isn't clicking.
I expect that Texas is starting to climb back into relevance and will beat OU decisively at the way things look right now.
With the loss of a Heisman worthy back in Rodney Anderson and the decline of linebacker Caleb Kelly, it can be said that OU has now lost its best player on both sides of the line.....and that these two losses may prove fatal as the season rolls on and more injuries occur.

I was at the game and asked myself at the OT coin flip--"how exactly did we get to this point about two and a half hours after kickoff?" Sitting next to my wife at the game, she said, "are you referring to Army or OU when you say 'we' or 'our?" I wore an Army hat and an OU shirt to the game. As a I said in a post last week, I've never been more conflicted at the outcome of a game in my life.

Sorry for the long post but other thoughts:

- It was the fastest game I think I've ever seen but I guess that's to be expected given that Army routinely takes drives of about 10 minutes.

- For those who say they've never seen anything like it, the game was a carbon copy of Army's bowl game win against San Diego State last year. Army couldn't stop the Aztec offense but kept the ball for 45 minutes, winning on a two point conversion in OT. Wonder if Stoops and company didn't bother to watch that particular film.

- The interception of the long pass on second and two and Sermon getting stuffed twice on the goal line came within an eyelash of costing the Sooners this win.

- The loudest I've ever heard the stadium was after the Mann interception because the entire crowd was thinking that Army would have a 12 minute, 99 yard drive to win the game as time expired.

- I couldn't believe OU couldn't keep the Army FB from getting four yards seemingly every time he ran between the tackles. Given that Army will always go for it on fourth and three or less, you simply cannot set them up at second and six time after time after time.

- Very impressed by the class shown by the OU fans. First time nobody booed when The Pride played the opponent's fight song before the game. Many Sooner players stood with the Army players in front of their band during the singing of Army's alma mater. Sooner fans also gave the Army team a standing ovation as they left the field at the end of the game.

- Finally, this old soldier and West Point grad couldn't have been prouder of the Army team. It shows what intelligence, guts, preparation, discipline, and a true fighting spirit can do when faced with an opponent that's bigger, faster, and more athletic than you are. Add in the parachuting, the march on by the OU Army ROTC cadets, and the Army Drill Team and you have a game that I'll never forget as long as I live.

I didn't go to the game or see it on TV. So I can't comment on it

The 1st two games, we played a vanilla defense and the players were sound. They didn't miss assignments, they tackled fundamentally sound and very few broken coverage/plays.

ISU, we open the defensive playbook. We show all sorts of different looks, bring blitzing from different players and angles. We miss fundamental tackling, we breakdown in coverage. So basic works and bobo schemes, we see a HUGE breakdown.

When has a Mike bobo Stoops defense confused ANY QB? When has his defense, made other teams look bad? I never wanted him back and have been in the camp, he has to go. He's a lazy recruiter, bad position coach and a horrible game manager.

tOSU/Bama/LSU, play a basic set, they are fundamentally sound and rarely look lost, out of position or huge breakdowns. Lincoln Riley, runs about 4 basic looks BUT he does a lot of different plays out of them. He has great tendencies busters. So, we have defensive players that are overthinking about playing instead of letting the game come naturally. They are overthinking and not, doing what should be natural, they miss, the basics.

Bobo has to go and I can't believe, there's a side deal that overrules LR. He's the hottest young coach and could go just about anywhere. He took the job in one of the strangest ways. He didn't get to pick his staff, like every NEW coach does. This year, teams will come after LR and if there is a side deal, that he has to keep bobo, I'm willing to bet he leaves.

If there's not a side deal and LR thinks bobo is good? Then he needs to leave. We need the best on both sides of the ball, if we are going to get #8.

Mike Stoops leaving is only step one.
The second step is hiring an energetic and proven coach to replace him.....and where is such a man ?

I'll take the Blue Devil's DC, for one. Duke 34, Army 14.

It can't get any worse and I'm hardly worried about OU's ability to attract coaching talent. I'm concerned about enough pressure being brought to bear on Lincoln Riley. We may as well fire him because he is never going to win the big one with Mike S at DC. Period. And quite frankly Riley's butt-puckering after Murray's INT could have cost us the game. Seriously, that's the MO going forward - put everything on the kicker when you have plenty of time to try to score? And Tre up the gut 4 times in a row at the goal line on the previous series, after he toted the rock all the way down there without being spotted by the likes of Anderson? The genius mojo was AWOL.

But step one: no more cannonball body launches at ball carriers and arm tackling. Can no one on this staff teach WRAPPING UP? Bring back Tony Jefferson for a clinic with the DBs.

I've always been of the opinion that Bob's leaving was directly linked to an agreement that Mike stayed...Hopeful that it was for a MAX of 2 years, which puts him outta here in January-2019! Fingers Crossed! :rolleyes:

Senior, I think OU gave MS a raise and contract extension though 2020 just a few months ago. Really strange, IMO. Could strategy be give him a contract extension with a raise then fire him and buy out his contract. Golden Parachute for Little Brother that Bob may have negotiated. LMAO.

Last edited:

It can't get any worse and I'm hardly worried about OU's ability to attract coaching talent. I'm concerned about enough pressure being brought to bear on Lincoln Riley. We may as well fire him because he is never going to win the big one with Mike S at DC. Period. And quite frankly Riley's butt-puckering after Murray's INT could have cost us the game. Seriously, that's the MO going forward - put everything on the kicker when you have plenty of time to try to score? And Tre up the gut 4 times in a row at the goal line on the previous series, after he toted the rock all the way down there without being spotted by the likes of Anderson? The genius mojo was AWOL.

But step one: no more cannonball body launches at ball carriers and arm tackling. Can no one on this staff teach WRAPPING UP? Bring back Tony Jefferson for a clinic with the DBs.

Duke plays Army often and the Devils have a solid coach in Cutcliffe so they know what they're getting a lot better than the OU staff did. You have to remember that Army played its first game against Duke about a month ago with Army having replaced four OL starters and a three year starter at QB. Obviously, the QB position is huge in an option offense and Army's 2018 starter had very few snaps (almost all passing) prior to this year.

The Army team that Duke beat was very different than the one OU struggled against. Duke played smart football and capitalized on all of their offensive chances--they didn't throw any dumb picks and they scored on their goal line opportunities. If OU had done the same, the Sooners would've won by about the same margin.

Senior, I think OU gave MS a raise and contract extension though 2020 just a few months ago. Really strange, IMO. Could strategy be give him a contract extension with a raise then fire him and buy out his contract. Golden Parachute for Little Brother that Bob may have negotiated. LMAO.
I thought something similar to that, too, Okla...but last night, I read January, 2019, but that may have been Misinformation, Old News...OR WISHFUL THINKING! :p

Reactions: iasooner1

Amen, Phaeded...Ghosts of the Rose Bowl were dancing in my head...I still haven't forgiven Blincoln for that MAJOR Mishap...

Duke plays Army often and the Devils have a solid coach in Cutcliffe so they know what they're getting a lot better than the OU staff did. You have to remember that Army played its first game against Duke about a month ago with Army having replaced four OL starters and a three year starter at QB. Obviously, the QB position is huge in an option offense and Army's 2018 starter had very few snaps (almost all passing) prior to this year.

The Army team that Duke beat was very different than the one OU struggled against. Duke played smart football and capitalized on all of their offensive chances--they didn't throw any dumb picks and they scored on their goal line opportunities. If OU had done the same, the Sooners would've won by about the same margin.

So Army gets the benefit of the doubt that they improved. Then OU gets the benefit of the doubt that they have gotten worse. I've been watching replays on line. The defense, got MANHANDLED, Army ran 6 plays OVER and OVER and OVER.

So Army gets the benefit of the doubt that they improved. Then OU gets the benefit of the doubt that they have gotten worse. I've been watching replays on line. The defense, got MANHANDLED, Army ran 6 plays OVER and OVER and OVER.

Given the fact that Army is outmanned most of the time, they have to be "quick studies' in order to survive. Fortunately, they have the players and coaching staff to do exactly that. I think OU often thinks it can show up and win while forgetting the other team would like nothing better than to whip the Sooners' (rear ends). That was pretty evident last night.

OTOH who needs more than six plays when the opposing defense has no ability to stop them? Sometimes precision, intelligence, and persistence are great attributes.

BTW - If OU had to be embarrassed I am thoroughly pleased that it was West Point that exposed our ass. The service academies have not always enjoyed the respect they garner today. I spent over 5 wonderful years in the US Army. Nothing has had a more profound impact on my life than those years. I lay no claim to owning a razor, comb or toothbrush until I got to Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

The Army team that Duke beat was very different than the one OU struggled against. Duke played smart football....If OU had done the same, the Sooners would've won by about the same margin.

Silly me, I was hoping the D would be inching towards the Alabamas and Clemsons this season...not freaking Duke.

Stop the apologies for Mikey already - he's going to let us down again and again as long as he's here.

The last two games stress were enough for me to last the entire season, thank you very much. Senior how long has it been since our bye comes exactly halfway through a season for OU ? IF we get to 6-0 through the RRR without major struggles or injuries, I'll be thrilled and excited for the remainder
Jeeeeeez...I didn't know there was gonna be a TEST, SONshine...I'd have to cheat, and Google for that answer...Toooooo Many Senior Moments between then, and now...

Silly me, I was hoping the D would be inching towards the Alabamas and Clemsons this season...not freaking Duke.

Stop the apologies for Mikey already - he's going to let us down again and again as long as he's here.

I wish our defense was as good as Duke, they are ranked 35th, we're 80th. Hell Okielite is better then us and they've played TT and BSU. We haven't been in the Top 50, since Venables.

Bottom line is that Mike Stoops isn't getting the job done. I wish Venables never would have left, but that ship has sailed. It's time to go out and find that young position coach at Alabama or somewhere else that is ready to become a defensive coordinator and hire him. Heck right now I'd take Diaco over Mikey.

Sooners defensive coaching staff needs to be flushed. Priority one should have been spent retooling defense coaching. Not to be giving out raises and contract extensions. We add Diaco who ran the fabled Black Shirts into the shoals. Not any form of retooling. Defensive schemes once again are piss poor, and we are actually worse defense than Huskers who are at #74...while we are at #76. Just no Sooner Pride left in this defense thanks to Jack In Box and his sorry deck hands.

Well nothing we can really do about it so may as well hope he does not cock up a game or 2, came close already in 2 so I am not hopeful.
Just tired of the same old tired song playing on the same old tired radio.
:D
I am going to be in Oklahoma latter part of October and was thinking of going to a game, I think we play Kansas State that weekend but the more I think about it I have no desire to go to a game until things change. Damn did I just say that?

Well nothing we can really do about it so may as well hope he does not cock up a game or 2, came close already in 2 so I am not hopeful.
Just tired of the same old tired song playing on the same old tired radio.
:D
I am going to be in Oklahoma latter part of October and was thinking of going to a game, I think we play Kansas State that weekend but the more I think about it I have no desire to go to a game until things change. Damn did I just say that?
Why don’t you go ahead and go.....but hold up a poster board that has “OU DC” written on it with a pic of Neapolitan Dynomite. Make sure you sit somewhere that the camera can pan across and see it.

Riley is a difficult spot and I am not talking about any influence or strings that Bob put on Riley as it relates to Mike Stoops. I just don't think that happened, period.

The difficult part of this whole deal is that Riley is working over-time to recruit defensive play makers for his team. In my view he is doing a great job with recruiting on both offense and defense. This is a very young team with the majority of the 85 man roster true and redshirt freshmen and sophomores. Add in the true and redshirt Juniors this is a roster with a the vast majority being freshmen through Juniors.

My thought is that Lincoln truly believes that recruiting can turn his defense around. I don't think he is wrong on that premise. Also, he is constantly talking about the continuity of his coaching staff. If you listen to the players you hear lots of praise for their coaches and that includes Mike Stoops. What I have heard is that the players really like Mike and think he is a good coach and DC.

Riley equates the very poor recruiting on the defensive side of the ball for the previous few years leading up to the 2017 class was directly related to the turnover with defensive coaches. Again, I truly believe that Riley is right on that as well.

Lincoln Riley might be correct in both of the above thoughts. I'm not a Mike Stoops hater. However, I do think that there are lots of great DCs out there that could do a great job at OU. I would like to see Mike Stoops just go out at the end of this year by getting a new head coach/DC job elsewhere. I don't think with Mike's recent resume at OU will get him a very good new job. I think Mike will just have to resign. That would free Riley to find himself a really good DC. I also think Mike leaving voluntarily would allow Riley and OU to keep his new defensive recruits in place.

The new recruiting rules are going to make it easy for players to just up and transfer which creates a risk for coaching changes just after a season or after the end of the recruiting season. That could undue the really good recruitiong of the last couple of years and that is in place for 2019 as well.

Just my thoughts.

If Lincoln Riley cannot see the writing on the wall its time to cut the Stoops Cord and truly make this team his own. If he does not that boat anchor that is Mike Stoops will forever keep him from realizing his true potential and making his own mark on this program. OU fans deserve better than the embarrassment that Mike Stoops brings to the Program week in and week out. Take a look at Social Media at how many people are saying Mike needs to go. If so many fans see it how can Joe C. and LR not see whats going on? How much is LR and Joe C. making to make sure they see whats going on in the Program? Bob if this is somehow your doing then GD you for not caring enough about your legacy.
Lincoln take control of YOUR TEAM, its yours now not Bob's or Mikes. Thanks for your time Stoops Brothers but it is time for OU to move on.
This is one very long time Sooner fan Former Season Ticket Holder thats had ENOUGH!
OU fans like you don't deserve crap. You bash staff continually, and LR knows a helluva lot more about what the program needs than you and the rest of the peanut gallery. But you keep starting these asinine threads during a weekend when recruits are in town. You don't care if it hurts the program.

Everybody on the coaching staff, especially Lincoln, have talked about how hard it is to play defense with the shortage of bodies we've dealt with the last two weeks.

But you don't care, because you think you're entitled to better. You not alone around here, but you're wrong. You don't deserve as good as you got.

Is this not the same guy that railed on Lincoln’s choice for defensive tackle coach? Welcome back, Plaino. LMAO.

This thread is about to get interesting now. Oklabama you are correct with your statement. He basically called Ruffin a fat ass waste of space. Lets not also forget 2 years ago he constantly critisized Gasso and the girls softball team especially after they lost that first game in the regionals to NDS. Talk about irony!

Reactions: Oklabama
Every Community has a 'hood that is in less favor than the 'Upper Crust' parts of a city...Chicago has it's 'South Side'...The Baddest Part of Town; Some have 'The Flats'...'The Projects'...'Other Side of the Tracks', and on and on...

So, now, are we, here on The Sooner Message Board, the Ghetto of the Rivals Group?

If Plaino sez it, it MUST be True...:rolleyes:

Every Community has a 'hood that is in less favor than the 'Upper Crust' parts of a city...Chicago has it's 'South Side'...The Baddest Part of Town; Some have 'The Flats'...'The Projects'...'Other Side of the Tracks', and on and on...

So, now, are we, here on The Sooner Message Board, the Ghetto of the Rivals Group?

If Plaino sez it, it MUST be True...:rolleyes:

Okay, I’m LMAO again.

This thread is about to get interesting now. Oklabama you are correct with your statement. He basically called Ruffin a fat ass waste of space. Lets not also forget 2 years ago he constantly critisized Gasso and the girls softball team especially after they lost that first game in the regionals to NDS. Talk about irony!

This is all about his love affair with the Stoops family. If we were calling out Ruffin he would be posting “I told you so”. But that’s his prerogative and it could make for an interesting pregame day thread. I miss Plaino’s posts. No one has told me that I am clueless for such a long time.

You say, "since no one will say it you will"?

Where have you been?

Frankly, I am so tired of all the negative crap posted about Mike Stoops. My guess is that a minimum of 80% of OU fans would like for Mike to go away, and that includes me. However, I don't have to have it repeated over and over and over and over. I read a few OU message boards and that is about all you can find is fans bitching about Mike Stoops.

So, you are not breaking new ground as the Mike Stoops hate has been on these boards for years. That doesn't mean that all the problems are only because of Mike Stoops.

My guess is that Lincoln Riley has a whole lot more insight into what is going on with his defense. From my perspective, I see Lincoln Riley as way more involved in all phases of the OU football team as in offense, defense and special teams. He is the most involved OU head coach that I remember in the last 30 years. Riley is the OC and he has hired a new special teams coach and now has two coaches directly involved in the special teams. He is the head recruiter and is directly more involved in recruiting than Bob Stoops ever was and that is not being critical of Bob Stoops, just an observation. To believe that all you have to do is pay attention to all he is doing on both offensive and defensive recruiting.

Give Riley some credit. I credit Bob Stoops for working to see that Riley became the head coach. However, in that process and Mike Stoops being the DC it really put Riley in a bad spot.

I trust Lincoln Riley to make the right decision for his team and do it on his own time and way. Some don't realize that defensive coaching turnover is part of the problem that we are where we are on defensive recruiting and talent. I'm sure he has to weigh the benefit or damage it will cause to again make changes on the defensive side.

Meanwhile all fans do is make statements based on extremely limited information and little thought into these statements. Fans just react to the visual senses and will always react negatively to anything that doesn't live up to their expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT