ADVERTISEMENT

I have a confession to make. I'm pulling for Baylor.

I think we're learning alot about TimmyBobby today.

You think? Couldn't be.............HA!

122715_1709_dawghatesit1.png

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
Another interesting stat relating to points scored, is Points per Possession. OU leads in this category as well. To further complicate his numbers is OU also has a significant more offensive plays per game than Clemson.

Those aren't all facts. Most are stats. And stats are like whores...once you get them down, you can make them say or do anything you want.

For instance, take your top stat ; "we are a top 20 unit on both sides of the ball". It may also be factual, but it's more of a stat. And let me show you why.

Facts are basically indisputable. In that the meaning of the statement retains its validity in all, or even most all, situations. Water is wet. That's pretty much a factual statement, because in almost every conceivable setting, water will be wet.

Your reasoning of why Clemson will beat OU hinges, in part, on the statistic that Clemson is ranked in the top twenty on both sides of the ball. That's a very vague statement. Which statistic are you using for that statement, as there are several statistics on each side of the ball? And what is the statistical significance between that arbitrary value (twenty) and whatever place OU currently resides in that same statistical category? And what is the value for the teams that you have played to establish the place of each statistic?

Here are some randomly arbitrary statistics for "each side of the ball" for each team. If you are using a different set of statistics, please let me know so we can discuss apples to apples.

...........................................Clemson........................OU
Rush offense:........................22/222 ypg...............15/235 ypg
Pass Offense:........................24/288 ypg...............18/307 ypg
Total Offense:........................11/510 ypg...............06/542 ypg
Scoring Offense:....................16/38 ppg.................02/45 ppg

Just using your metric, we beat you in every conceivable offensive category. But does that still tell the whole story? Not really. Because while we're ranked seven spots ahead of you in rushing yards a game, which is pretty significant, we're only averaging three more rushing yards a game than you guys. Is that a number someone could hang their hat on and say "We're going to beat you because we run the ball better than you."? I think we'd all agree, probably not. The biggest advantage OU has in these numbers is in the Scoring offense. We're averaging seven more points per game than you guys. Is that statistically significant? Possibly. A lot of other things have to be taken into account. Such as these statistics:

...........................................Clemson........................OU
Rush Defense:.......................24/128 ypg..............42/149 ypg
Pass Defense:.......................05/166 ypg..............32/201 ypg
Total Defense:.......................07/295 ypg..............30/350 ypg
Scoring Defense:...................18/20 ppg................22/20 ppg

You beat us in every conceivable defensive category. And in some categories, it's a pretty significant advantage for Clemson. OU is giving up over 55 yards a game more than Clemson. That, to me, sounds pretty significant. At least until we go back up and look at the only real statistic that counted above: scoring. Because games aren't won or lost on rushing yardage given up. They're won because one team scores more than the other. I think we can all agree on that concept.

And if we look at that metric, we both are giving up 20 ppg, but OU is scoring seven more points per game on average.

Not to "Jenni Carlson" you, but I'm going to leave that statement by itself. Because of all the other statistical categories, that one speaks the loudest.

Now, there are about 1,000 more things that go into those statistics. For instance, if Team A played three of the top five passing teams in the nation, you'd think their passing defense ranking would be very high. It stands to reason the better offensive teams you play, the worse you're going to look defensively. So let's look at the top tour (very arbitrary number on my part, I admit) offenses each team played. To keep this discussion consistent, I'll stick with the Scoring Offense category.

Clemson
North Carolina.............10/40 ppg
Appalachian State........23/36 ppg
Notre Dame..................31/34 ppg
North Carolina State.....39/33 ppg

OU
Baylor............................01/48 ppg
Texas Tech...................03/45 ppg
TCU...............................08/41 ppg
OSU...............................09/41 ppg

The top four offensive teams OU played this year are ranked head of even the top team Clemson faced. What could that tell someone? One possible finding we could take from that is that OU's defense has played tougher offensive opponents than Clemson has, and yet they still have given up the same amount of points per game.

Again, there are tons more variables that go into this discussion, and in all honesty, my dissertation on this would span over 100 pages on just those variables. But I think you get my gist: that your stated number one reason or Clemson beating OU was due to your belief in some sort of statistical dominance you guys have over us, and I've shown that to be false. And by false, I mean totally not true in any way, shape, or form, and actually to be in OU's favor.

Any other "football" discussions you'd like to have?

You left out FSU, which is better than any team you faced. Better speed, better size, better athletic talent. By the way, the gas out comment is not true. We were tied with FSU in the 4th and won by 10.

You left out FSU, which is better than any team you faced. Better speed, better size, better athletic talent. By the way, the gas out comment is not true. We were tied with FSU in the 4th and won by 10.

Better based on what exactly? Your opinion? I see no facts at all. The brief moment that I took to take a look at their schedule tells me that they've played absolutely nobody of consequence except Clemson. They've only played 2 ranked teams and one of those is garbage (Florida). Please name some great things that they've done this season against anyone worth a damn besides keeping it close with your team.

Ummm...Florida State is 45th in Scoring Offense. That's statistically the fifth best team you played, six spots behind NC State. You know...statistics. The #1 topic in your discussion of why Clemson will beat OU.

And for all that "better, speed, better size, better athletic talent" stuff they have going for them, you'd think they'd be much higher. Statistically.

And nice straw man argument...I never brought up any type of "gas out" comment.

So what are our common links? Notre Dame beat the hell out of Texas. Baylor beat NC by 11. We beat them by 8, but were up 15 at the two minute mark.
Should be a good one.

FSU - it's just their speed and talent. They are good everywhere. They're 5 year rating on recruiting is top 5, meaning they have top 5 talent on their current roster. They played us. They played UF, who's D is still very good despite the O. That's about it.

Clemson is 2nd in the country in D 3rd down conversion rate.
To be fair, I only posted four different categories on each side of the ball. I did ask you to let me know if you were basing your argument on different categories. So are you now saying you're using the 3rd down Conversion Rate on both sides of the ball as your "top twenty on each side of the ball" argument? Because you are in the top twenty on both sides of the ball in that statistic. And OU is statistically significantly lagging in that area behind Clemson.

Reactions: Soonersincefitty
So what are our common links? Notre Dame beat the hell out of Texas. Baylor beat NC by 11. We beat them by 8, but were up 15 at the two minute mark.
Should be a good one.

FSU - it's just their speed and talent. They are good everywhere. They're 5 year rating on recruiting is top 5, meaning they have top 5 talent on their current roster. They played us. They played UF, who's D is still very good despite the O. That's about it.
Ahhh, changing your argument from statistics to transitive properties. Risky, but I appreciate a man who's willing to take risks in a debate. I personally think it's usually regarded as an unsound application of the transitive property. And it works well in your favor because you haven't lost to anyone.

As for the ND/Texas argument, I got nothing. I concede your point. If the transitive property in football is real, then this is the Holy Grail of point/counterpoint. There's not a reason in the world Texas should have beat us, based on the entirety of their season versus our season, yet they did. Other than "upsets happen" or "you never know what's going to happen in a rivalry game", which are weak arguments, you win.

As for the Baylor/UNC game, I think you're being more than a little disingenuous. Sure, you were up by 15. Until they scored a touchdown. And that touchdown counts. You can't dismiss it.

What you also can't dismiss is the blown call on UNC's onside kick at the very end of the game. Very akin to the screwing over the refs did to us against Oregon in 2006 (potentially kept us out of the National Championship game, BTW), UNC got screwed by a referee out of their chance to possibly tie you. And they had all the momentum in that game. And that was a home game for Clemson, IIRC.

OU on the other hand soundly beat that Baylor team on the road, in front of a hostile crowd, on a game that was the center piece for ESPN's Game Day. It wasn't as close as the score suggests...we had the ball near their red zone and ran out the clock. We could have scored again if we wanted to.

Baylor beat UNC by 11, but like us, could have scored at will if needed to. For goodness sake, they set an all-time record for most rushing yards in any bowl ever played. It may have ended up as only an 11-point victory for Baylor, but if you ask most college football fans, it was worse than that. Similar to OU's win over Baylor.

So, to recap:

OU thrashes Baylor, who thrashes UNC, who barely lost to Clemson on a very questionable call by the refs very late in the game.

I'm taking this one as a win for OU.

So we're 1-1 in this endeavor. Well played, TB, well played.

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
Ahhh, changing your argument from statistics to transitive properties. Risky, but I appreciate a man who's willing to take risks in a debate. I personally think it's usually regarded as an unsound application of the transitive property. And it works well in your favor because you haven't lost to anyone.

As for the ND/Texas argument, I got nothing. I concede your point. If the transitive property in football is real, then this is the Holy Grail of point/counterpoint. There's not a reason in the world Texas should have beat us, based on the entirety of their season versus our season, yet they did. Other than "upsets happen" or "you never know what's going to happen in a rivalry game", which are weak arguments, you win.

As for the Baylor/UNC game, I think you're being more than a little disingenuous. Sure, you were up by 15. Until they scored a touchdown. And that touchdown counts. You can't dismiss it.

What you also can't dismiss is the blown call on UNC's onside kick at the very end of the game. Very akin to the screwing over the refs did to us against Oregon in 2006 (potentially kept us out of the National Championship game, BTW), UNC got screwed by a referee out of their chance to possibly tie you. And they had all the momentum in that game. And that was a home game for Clemson, IIRC.

OU on the other hand soundly beat that Baylor team on the road, in front of a hostile crowd, on a game that was the center piece for ESPN's Game Day. It wasn't as close as the score suggests...we had the ball near their red zone and ran out the clock. We could have scored again if we wanted to.

Baylor beat UNC by 11, but like us, could have scored at will if needed to. For goodness sake, they set an all-time record for most rushing yards in any bowl ever played. It may have ended up as only an 11-point victory for Baylor, but if you ask most college football fans, it was worse than that. Similar to OU's win over Baylor.

So, to recap:

OU thrashes Baylor, who thrashes UNC, who barely lost to Clemson on a very questionable call by the refs very late in the game.

I'm taking this one as a win for OU.

So we're 1-1 in this endeavor. Well played, TB, well played.

Clemson beat UNC soundly. You'd have to understand Dabo. Up by 15 with 2 minutes left. Out gaining them by 200 yards etc. watch their onside kick....it's the worst missed targeting call ever that caused the fumble. I think this game can go either way. But I like our chances with 1 turnover or fewer or even with given you all a +1 their but no more. I think our O's are very even, but I just like our Ds chances of of stopping you more often than you guys stopping us. We literally have several top 3 round draft NFL defenders on the field. I just don't think they will consistently be beaten all night.

Mackenzie Alexander is a top 5 corner. We call him Mackenzie island. He shuts everyone's top WR down. Will Fuller did nothing on him. He was known in practice as the one guy that could give Sammy Watkins fits. Now Sterling is a fine player, but I feel confident in Alexander here.

Jayron Kearse is a top 5 safety and TJ Green is not far behind.

Boulware LB played hurt the last half and is said to be near 100%. He's a damn raging lunatic mad man at LB. BJ Goodson LB has played his tail off this year.

And then we get to the DL. The only DL in America that might be better is Bama. I say this bc we have several where 1:1 blocking will be a nightmare. Lawson DE, Dodd DE, Pagano DT, Reader DT, Wilkins DT, and DT Carlos Watkins

Don't get me wrong, I'm worried about this game. I think it goes either way as well. I was just refuting your comments, not the potential outcome.

But I will say this: if it's a close game, I won't be surprised who wins.

But if I fell asleep before the game even started and woke up the next morning and someone told me the score was one-sided, I'd bet the house OU would have won.

There's not going to be a landslide win. But if there was, OU would win it. We can score quicker than you can. If this game gets in the upper 30's or low 40's, it's to OU's benefit. A 17-14 game scares me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT