ADVERTISEMENT

I come in peace...

Nov 11, 2005
Hey Sooner fans, looking forward to a new season of college football!

Florida Gator grad here who lives in South Florida and has adopted FAU as the hometown team, starting when they opened the on-campus stadium in 2011.

We were there for the rough days, trying to get people to attend games with us, while enjoying family time in a college gameday atmosphere (and always reminiscing about the good ole Spurrier days). Back then the tailgate was the biggest selling point.

So obviously the hiring of Lane Kiffin and the season the Owls had last year was a dream come true - a ton of fun and good football.

What are your thoughts on the home opener? I've seen everything from FAU being a 21 point underdog to one Vegas site predicting FAU to win by 2, to Sooner fans being worried or overconfident.

So what say you, the true Sooner fans?

Looking forward to your comments.

FAU wins ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
every game but OU.

Opening day warm up game. Hopefully see a lot of 2nd and 3rd string guys get some playing time. Plus some true redshirt Freshman get on the field for the new 4 game rule

Reactions: iasooner1
Every year it is the challenger coming into the ring. Sooners play flat for a bit but put things into order and win. If the Sooners defense can apply real pressure...the game could unravel for FAU. But that remains to seen...am thinking a 38-17 game....for Sooners.

OU has a lot of new starters in very key positions on both sides of the ball. Because of this and catching OU early, FAU has a boxer's chance. But I personally don't see the Sooners losing at home.

OU wins. I’m in the minority, I’m sure, I like Kiffin. He did Tennessee dirty and got paid back by USC. LMAO. Then goes to Alabama and does a great job, but bumps asses with Nick. LMAO. Then comes to FAU and continues to give Nick shit. LMAO. What’s not to like? :cool: I think it will be a good game and each team will benefit, but Oklahoma wins by 17+.

I love Kiffen now that he has embraced his inner Kiffen. He has the talent to manufacture 7-10 points a game from pure strategy. But then again, so does Riley. So that kind of washes out, IMO.

I can see the Sooner being behind at half time, but in the end if they don't win by double digits, I will be surprised. I think maybe 41-30. Kiff walks away with his head high and FAU goes on to a great season.

Sooners get bashed a bit by the media, but by the end of the year, the "unimpressive" win actually helps the resume.

Well, let's see. A team that averaged 40 points a game returns all of their skill players and has former FSU and OU QBs battling for the starting job. They do need to replace an all-conference guard and center, but are strong at the O Tackle position. They also return 10 starters on defense and have a defensive backfield that picked off 20 passes last year.

OU returns 5 starters on offense and 5 on defense. They lose their Heisman QB and All-American OT and TE. On D, they lose their best pass rusher in Obo and best safety in Steven Parker.

With that said, OU will struggle at the QB and the offense will sputter at inopportune times, allowing the Owls to keep it close. Mike Stoops' defense will be tested early and often by the Owl's high-octane offense and they will have a good deal of success against the Sooners.

Fortunately, the game is in Norman, and OU pulls out an ugly win, 34-30. The calls for Mike Stoops' job come about three minutes after the post game press conference is over.

Whatever Florida Atlantic is or isn't....and while Kiffin had his team winning ten games in 2017....has anyone looked at the weak schedule FAU played last season?
Outside of blowout losses to Navy (42-19) and Wisconsin (31-14) and a 34-31 loss to Buffalo, in the other 11 games the opponents faced were 67-78 combined.
Teams like Bethune-Cookman, Middle Tenn., Old Dominion, North Texas (twice), Western Kentucky, Marshall, La. Tech, Florida International and Charlotte were on the schedule and in the Boca Raton Bowl, FAU beat mighty Akron (6-6) 50-3.
I'm not one to disrespect opponents. My point is that FAU is still a work in process and facing OU in Norman to open the season does not bode well for the Owls. A slow start for OU could make the game fairly competitive, but I don't see it.

I can see the Sooner being behind at half time, but in the end if they don't win by double digits, I will be surprised. I think maybe 41-30. Kiff walks away with his head high and FAU goes on to a great season.

This is a good take, and I could see something along these lines happening.

FAU starts quick as they've had this date circled on the calendar for a while, OU gets a little nervous with the new QB but settles down after the half and pulls away with its depth in the 4th.

A great, exciting opener and really looking forward to it.

Whatever Florida Atlantic is or isn't....and while Kiffin had his team winning ten games in 2017....has anyone looked at the weak schedule FAU played last season?
Outside of blowout losses to Navy (42-19) and Wisconsin (31-14) and a 34-31 loss to Buffalo, in the other 11 games the opponents faced were 67-78 combined.
Teams like Bethune-Cookman, Middle Tenn., Old Dominion, North Texas (twice), Western Kentucky, Marshall, La. Tech, Florida International and Charlotte were on the schedule and in the Boca Raton Bowl, FAU beat mighty Akron (6-6) 50-3.
I'm not one to disrespect opponents. My point is that FAU is still a work in process and facing OU in Norman to open the season does not bode well for the Owls. A slow start for OU could make the game fairly competitive, but I don't see it.

Good points and I do agree on the strength of last years opponents.

Only thing I would add is that they were just as strong versus the higher quality C-USA opponents as they were against the lower tier teams. To me this means they were consistent in their coaching, preparedness, and commitment to winning.

Also believe that a high number of teams in the C-USA were bowl eligible last season, meaning that a few universities make that overall loss number high.

Guys, this is a cupcake. A little better then some cupcakes but still a cupcake.

I expect a vanilla offense and defense. I will not be at all surprised to see close to 400 yards rushing and 250ish passing. The passing routes, will be standard and neither Murray or Kendal will be asked to do that much. And Yes I do expect to see both play. I expect to see at least one long, passing and running play, 50+ yards.

The defense will be very vanilla but Hopefully sound. We will not show anything but a standard defense to fit down and distance.

I fully expect to see a descent amount of freshman and backups in this game.

Army with the triple option will give our defense the biggest head scratcher. Will figure it out but it will give us some trouble, in the beginning.

Last edited:
If FAU scores 2 TDs in their first 2 Offensive possessions, the calls for his head start right then and there...

LMAO. You’re right. We all have to admit it. We’re waiting for Mike’s defense to suck. We want Mike’s defense to suck. We want Mike GONE. But we all want OU to win in spite of Mike’s defense so we may never get rid of him. Catch 22.

Last edited:
Well, let's see. A team that averaged 40 points a game returns all of their skill players and has former FSU and OU QBs battling for the starting job. They do need to replace an all-conference guard and center, but are strong at the O Tackle position. They also return 10 starters on defense and have a defensive backfield that picked off 20 passes last year.

OU returns 5 starters on offense and 5 on defense. They lose their Heisman QB and All-American OT and TE. On D, they lose their best pass rusher in Obo and best safety in Steven Parker.

With that said, OU will struggle at the QB and the offense will sputter at inopportune times, allowing the Owls to keep it close. Mike Stoops' defense will be tested early and often by the Owl's high-octane offense and they will have a good deal of success against the Sooners.

Fortunately, the game is in Norman, and OU pulls out an ugly win, 34-30. The calls for Mike Stoops' job come about three minutes after the post game press conference is over.

The calls for mike stoops job will begin the second FAU scores its first TD

Reactions: Schoonerman
Week 1 fau loses to 53 rd ranked navy
Week 2 fau loses to 7th ranked wisc
Week 3 fau beats 39th ranked Boston college
Week 4 fau loses to98th ranked buffalo
Week 5 fau beats 92nd ranked middle tenn
Week 6 fau beats 104th ranked old dominion
Week7 fau beats 60th ranked north Tex
Week 8 fau beats 97th ranked western Kentucky
Week 9 fau beats 60th ranked Marshall
Week 10 fau beats 81st ranked la. Tech